Why do we like TV?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
First off "TV" isn't fake. What you choose to watch may be "fake". So your real question is why do humans like to be entertained?

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Meant as in tv shows/movies. Not documentaries or reality tv. Let's say shows like workaholics or house md. Scenarios like the characters portray would never happen in real life. So why is it entertaining?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Humans have enjoyed story telling since as long as we've existed. TV & Movies are just the height of it with Technology now. I love a good show or movie. Just went to see Hell or Highwater last night, great story - complete fiction and not a single CGI effect in the entire movie, just a great "tale".

Another answer would be that people are looking for\enjoy a distraction from the grind of their daily lives.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i like to think "I can do that" when I see reality tv shows and the actors buying/fixing/selling cars in my underoos while I eat ice cream in bed.
then I realize I'm shit and turn the tv off and go to bed sad.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
TV allows people to disconnect from the stresses of everyday life. Decades ago people would read books, magazines and newspapers to do the same. With TV, the choices for disconnecting are much greater. Many older folks might remember their dad returning from a hard day at work to relax/disconnect by reading the daily newspaper. Part of it was to catch up on the news. But it was/is primarily to disconnect. TV is THE tool of choice to disconnect. JMO.

they-live-on-tv-t-shirt_zpsnctq80cl.jpg

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
TV is probably a cultural adaptation. You learn the behavior when you are young.

There are plenty of people who don't partake. And still among those who do watch there are subgroups. Some mostly watch educational shows, some only watch drama, some only watch horror, some only watch reality TV, some only watch sex. And some people watch and consume anything that is bright, colorful and popular.
It gives people something to relate over at the office or school, it lets some people feel connected to the world, and lets some people escape from reality.
Many people have nothing else to do. So they plop their fat butt on the couch, consume cheap foods like potato chips and stare at shows they already watched until they fall asleep. It is a pacifier.

Why does Television get made, is a better question. Mass media, it is almost always driven by money. They are selling everyone something of what they want, and so various audiences tune in for their fix.

Back to culture though, if people could break the chain, many would find themselves happier without TV. But it isn't in the big man's interest, so he is going to keep you glued in as long as he can.

Ofcourse, taken in moderation TV can just be another source of entertainment for people willing to pay for it. A good story here and there. And why do people like that?

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Back in the 60's, I'll never forget my Grandma telling my Grandpa a TV is a "boob-tube". I didn't know what to think about it because my Dad sold/serviced TV's.

I loved that movie.

But I am a person of low taste.

"They Live". Lots of fun. RIP Roddy

Me three. Once I started watching it, I couldn't turn it off. I thought the plot/story line/whatever was pretty damn cool.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think we just enjoy watching stories be told. Instead of us having to go down to the local amphitheater, the story is right in front of us now.

Users who are viewing this thread