Why buy an 03' Cobra to put a ProCharger on it?

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
I understand puting a Procharger on a 03' if you already had the Cobra and now want the procharger, burt I have seen posts of people going out and buying a Cobra with the thought of adding the Procharger later. Why?? Why not get a Mach1 and do this? Better all around torque curves from the start (NA) I like the Higher comp ratio. with the added power of the blower. It already had teh stick axle and just is a bit slower than the Cobra out of the box. You can buy the Mach and the ATI for the same price as the Cobra and not have to swap the rear. Before the flames start. This is just a info gather post. Do whatever you want. This is just a thought for poeple who plan on doing this and are thinking of buying or did buy a Cobra for just this reason.
I own both the Mach and the Cobra. I also love both of them. When I decide to do the ATI I will be adding it to my Mach and not the Cobra. Of course by then they will have more for the Cobra. I hope.. I also like the Roots style over the cent. blowers. I am a low end torque junky.
Just looking for some insight on this.

MightyMo

Established Member
whats inside the Cobra engine?

Manley, ARP..

Cobra engine is made to handle a supercharger as is its drivetrain

That roots style supercharger makes a lot of torque at lower RPM's which makes for a lot of tire spin and damage to IRS suspensions for some.

The ProCharger adds HP and Torque on the other end of the power curve. Less tire spin and oodles of power.

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
because its a badass setup, wait until they get the kinks worked out of it i think you will be plesently surprised. its a really nice setup. you can still touch the s/c after a few hard runs. im sure you saw jay(blown03)'s video

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Good question.

I'd get an '03 Crate engine and put it in the Stang of my choice first.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
well for starters and p[robably the biggest reason is it has a built for boost shortblock. You can run 20+ psi on the cobra while you could probably only run 8-10 lbs on the Mach 1 b/c of the internals/block limits and the high compression. You think a stock Mach 1's solid rear can handle 600 + RWHP? Youll have to modify the rear end just like the cobras. Lets not forget the T-56 6-speed trany either that can handle the power while the stock Mach 5-speed cannot. Brembo brakes are stock on the cobra to help stop that power as well.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
2 words: IRON BLOCK

It can handle tons of horsepower (2003-2004 Cobra)

saadcobra

Be away from me
Established Member
You fell you have the power so no body can challenge you :bowdown: Procharger

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
iron block means shit, there are people well over 1000rwhp with the aluminum block.

however, the 10.0 compression is not even close to conducive to 15psi plus. I ran 10.5 compression and 12 psi and i was close to the limits of pump gas. Also there are no head studs or forged internals besides the crank. Also no 6 speed in the mach.

i would buy a high miles 99 cobra
forge the motor, stick a big centri blower on it, and a 6 speed with some goodies like heads and cams and kick some ass.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by quadcammer
iron block means shit, there are people well over 1000rwhp with the aluminum block.

however, the 10.0 compression is not even close to conducive to 15psi plus. I ran 10.5 compression and 12 psi and i was close to the limits of pump gas. Also there are no head studs or forged internals besides the crank. Also no 6 speed in the mach.

i would buy a high miles 99 cobra
forge the motor, stick a big centri blower on it, and a 6 speed with some goodies like heads and cams and kick some ass.
Huh? The iron block doesn't mean anything? Do you know the facts about the development of the Cobra motor? Ford could have used the aluminum block for the '03/'04 (as on the Fort GT) but development costs to make it work would have resulted in a more expensive Cobra. So Ford chose to go with the iron block for durability and cost savings. It was a good choice in my opinion. So good in fact that our motors can handle the big boost ranges of the Kenne Bell and ProCharger. The Mach 1 has a great motor but it wasn't designed for a power adder like a 10 lb. + supercharger. So buying an '03 or '04 Cobra with the intent of upgrading the supercharger is not a bad idea at all.

SSlayer96

Wheeeeeee!!
Established Member
Stick with the Cobra engine. Why go less to a Mach, whyyou already have everything you need in a Cobra.

Quadcammer

Established Member
cobra bob your post makes no sense. The reason ford went iron is because of cost, and durability. But, the 03 is not a centrifugally blown car from the factory. different blowers put more stress(pos disp) on the motor then others(cent.) However, there are tons of centrifugally blown aluminum block cobras out there with tons of miles. On a cent. blower cobra, such as the procharger, the iron block offers no advantage to the standard 4.6 aluminum block. The fact that its an iron block doesn't make it any better for a procharged setup then an alu block.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
You just proved Cobrabobs point, you said the reason ford went with iron is b/c of cost, and guess what, thats what he said as well. He was just stating that the iron block can hold its own too. One block hasnt split yet and its been tested at 1000+ FWHP. So it is durable just like you said. His post makes plenty of sense, just go back and re-read it.

Quadcammer

Established Member
We are comparing the aluminum block to the iron block.

somebody above mentioned that the 03 motor was better then the mach motor solely because of the block which is bs on a centri setup. That was my point.

it being an iron block doesn't mean anything as it is not any better for the procharger.

there are a ton of differences between the mach and the 03 cobra and they all matter, except for the block in this question.

if i proved his point i didn't know he was making one.

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by quadcammer
cobra bob your post makes no sense. The reason ford went iron is because of cost, and durability. But, the 03 is not a centrifugally blown car from the factory. different blowers put more stress(pos disp) on the motor then others(cent.) However, there are tons of centrifugally blown aluminum block cobras out there with tons of miles. On a cent. blower cobra, such as the procharger, the iron block offers no advantage to the standard 4.6 aluminum block. The fact that its an iron block doesn't make it any better for a procharged setup then an alu block.

There may be some running around but most are only used for a few runs down a track. Ford has a warranty to worry about. If they said they had failures I take their word for it. Their tests are for street cars that people drive every day, not race cars. They have a safety factor built in it and I'm sure 1000 HP is well past that safety margin.

Psi is psi no mater what source it's coming from and they all create equal stress on an engine. The only FI application that reduces stress on the engine is a turbo and that is only becuase at equal psi, the turbo nets more power so in turn a turbo guy can run less boost and still make more power than a roots or centifugal blower.

Quadcammer

Established Member
not true at all.

You think an instant 8-12-18-21 psi from a positive displacement blower at low rpms doesn't stress the motor more then building boost with a centrifugal blower?

if you think they are equally stressed then i don't know what i can say to change your mind.

Users who are viewing this thread