Why are these mustang losing control. Literally getting sideways ?

scottmac2000

Established Member
First thing i always do when getting in the car is turn "off" all traction control devices. I can't believe you guys are running traction control while out rowing the gears. Yeah, when I hit the powerband in 2nd the tires break loose and the car wants to go sideways - i don't let it!! Guess growing up in the 70's driving all those rear wheel drive muscle cars helped with my driver mod.
In the 70's, if you lost control you locked up the brakes. The car might spin but you went in the same direction you were heading. Now with antilock brakes you can't do that. Another problem is once the car is sideways the antilocks think your on ice and won't activate the brakes so you go into the wall.

Last edited:

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Probably due to the IRS. That's just my opinion and a fix for that would be to beef up with rear end with a bushing kit from BMR, STEEDA, or any other company that makes them.

The few solid axle cars Ive been in seemed to step out the rear way more than my cobra...

jdcobra

Established Member
The few solid axle cars Ive been in seemed to step out the rear way more than my cobra...

I've had an 04 cobra, 12 GT, and now a 15 GT. I agree the the solid steps out more but IMO is easier to control.

Lagometer

Established Member
I would imagine that applying lots of power on a low traction surface such as rain, snow or muddy roads would still be as dangerous as it was in the 1960's. We have better technology, but LOTS of horsepower and tires that might only work well above the current temperature.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
It's people like these that make the rest of us who know how drive look bad when they try to show off and eat shit.

This! Sure they are not skinny tires but it's not coyote makes 400hp+ stock off idle either. Bad drivers driving bad and making our insurance rates go up.

DivineStrike

Established Member
Sorry OP but I can't believe this is a topic. This is certainly driver mod. You, your friend and the other guy need to stab the throttle less. Smooth in and out. That said TC and AT do make it weird to try and correct a slide. I highly dislike even using track mode and intentionally initiating a slide. The AT interference is unnerving. It's also sometimes ineffective. I've been able to trick the computer into letting me do 180s in both sport and normal mode without interference. I've only done that twice though.

Dcrypter

Established Member
It makes me happy that everyone is pointing out that the problem lies between the seat and steering wheel.

:burnout:

saf1

Established Member
If truth be told, this isn't just an issue with the Mustang. Most high powered pony/sport cars have this issue. In fact, I was heading out last week when I noticed a brand new 2016 Vett with hazard lights on, half in/out of a ditch pointing up like a rocket launching a satellite. Not a soul to be found - probably embarrassed - dealer plates still on.

Month prior saw a unknown year Viper take a freeway onramp at speed, lost control, up the side of the ramp he went and over spinning like a top. Doesn't matter make or model, car or bike, this sort of stuff happens. Those that have said putting all the power in without addressing stopping or suspension - the total package - it leads to issues. Sad but true.

PIKE5.0

Established Member
If truth be told, this isn't just an issue with the Mustang. Most high powered pony/sport cars have this issue. In fact, I was heading out last week when I noticed a brand new 2016 Vett with hazard lights on, half in/out of a ditch pointing up like a rocket launching a satellite. Not a soul to be found - probably embarrassed - dealer plates still on.

Month prior saw a unknown year Viper take a freeway onramp at speed, lost control, up the side of the ramp he went and over spinning like a top. Doesn't matter make or model, car or bike, this sort of stuff happens. Those that have said putting all the power in without addressing stopping or suspension - the total package - it leads to issues. Sad but true.

It's not shocking, we've just never had this kind of performance available at this price point. Allowing A LOT of new drivers to power/performance to jump behind the wheel. Not realizing its not a Mazda Speed, VW, old 3V, etc.. Its more so the used market now flooded with 400+ rwd cars to be on the CHEAP.

I look at it as natural selection. To hell with the idiots.

Ray721

I personally do not like the difference in track width from front to rear. Ford did this strictly for appearance.

It actually makes the car more forgiving to drive. A wide square set up will be more twitchy and the ass end will come out more under braking and turning with the added grip of wide fronts. If anything the new stance would help bad driving habits.

Users who are viewing this thread