Why are these mustang losing control. Literally getting sideways ?

elevenfivezero

Established Member
So Maybe you have seen the video of the 15/16 cars going completly sideways. Like the Red one at the track the shot left and hit the guard rail, or the White one that shot right while racing in a parking lot. I have witnessed 3 15/16 GT's do this 2 of them are now totaled . One was a 15 GT Automatic Non PP 3:55 gears 19" wheels, it was at the Track, went side ways and hit the guard rail, Totaled. The other One was my brothers 16 GT Manual non PP 3:55 gears 19" wheels , went into a tree doing a 3rd gear wot shift, Totaled.

Then there is my car , 15 GT premium Automatic 3:55 gears 20" wheels. I have lost control 4 times, once almost hitting oncoming traffic, seems as though if the wheel if turned slightly it whips sideways and out of control, not even a controlled slide. Even when going straight the rear end will kick out on a hard shift then its sideways. So what the hell ? What Can fix this ?

I had and 11 GT, a 12 GT a 14 GT, I've driven multiple 11-14 gt Manual cars and never experienced this, And when I say driven I mean Power shifting like really driving it. Sometime the rear end will 'kick out' but the front end would always be able to be pointed straight.

As for now I'm scared to drive my car the way I would like for fear of losing control.

#helpwanted

jdcobra

Established Member
Probably due to the IRS. That's just my opinion and a fix for that would be to beef up with rear end with a bushing kit from BMR, STEEDA, or any other company that makes them.

Zemedici

Established Member
It seems that the Traction control is sort of moody on these cars, my girls car (makes 640whp) i can blow through it, like it doesn't work.

My car will let me have fun for about 3 seconds then it'll straighten out. I feel these cars get crazy for those 3 seconds and then its too far gone sometimes to save.

elevenfivezero

Established Member
I know my 15 can go sideways with Traction control full on. On the other hand on my 12 GT Traction control would yell at me and correct the car. For some reason I think Traction Control is a bit more Loose now on the 15/16 cars.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I'd guess it's drivers who do not know what they are doing and expect the car to fix their mistakes.

This is pretty much it.

Traction control shutting you down once the car is too far out of kilter can be whacky. Spin starts, you correct by turning wheel, TC kicks in and wham, car darts the direction your wheels are turned. Been happening since the advent of TC and gets worse as power goes up and you blow through the TC easier.

Mine acts no worse than my 11, or my 03 Cobras did, or any other stang for that matter. Sure it acts slightly different, probably due to weight bias and IRS, but nothing drastic. Turn TC off, let her get sideways and pedal it out.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I never had this occur to me. The problem must lie between the steering wheel and the seat. But hey, blame the car.

Mach828

Established Member
Mustangs have always done this. I think its just that as they begin to have more and more power stock, it has gotten worse.

You can't take a 400+hp car and run it on 8" street tires and expect it to maintain traction, and then not go into the wall while you keep your foot into it.

If you are going to drive it hard, put in a good diff, suspension mods, and sticky tires. They become so much more predictable, and when it does lose traction you have even power to each wheel and it doesn't pitch sideways. Traction control is meant for normal driving loss of traction (water, dirt on the road, snow, etc.) not WOT.

I've seen a lot of guys at the track run their 500hp cobra, gt500, coyote on crap street tires with no suspension mods or experience driving. My first thought is always they are going to point to the wall, and they always do.

Last edited:

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
I'd agree that the IRS deflection could cause the back end to walk out easier than the solid axle cars. Start with a BMR CB005 kit and see if that helps.

whatsup62

Established Member
First thing i always do when getting in the car is turn "off" all traction control devices. I can't believe you guys are running traction control while out rowing the gears. Yeah, when I hit the powerband in 2nd the tires break loose and the car wants to go sideways - i don't let it!! Guess growing up in the 70's driving all those rear wheel drive muscle cars helped with my driver mod.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I personally do not like the difference in track width from front to rear. Ford did this strictly for appearance.

rozay

Established Member
I drive with advance tc off always and the car will go sideways but I can always pedal it to get it back in control. Doesn't happen all the time though. Will be installing Bmr rear suspension bushing and cradle lockout to help it some maybe.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I personally do not like the difference in track width from front to rear. Ford did this strictly for appearance.

This has nothing to do with the above reactions. It will cause it to dart a little on badly rutted pavement (usually from big trucks, the travel areas will be deeper than the centers) but no worse than running staggered tires. My 15 PP gets no more darty on those roads than my 95 gt with 245/275's or even my cobra with 255/315's.

jdcobra

Established Member
This in total is really one of those *palm to face* topics...

It's people like these that make the rest of us who know how drive look bad when they try to show off and eat shit.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd guess it's drivers who do not know what they are doing and expect the car to fix their mistakes.

I never had this occur to me. The problem must lie between the steering wheel and the seat. But hey, blame the car.

Drivermod

+1000

First thing i always do when getting in the car is turn "off" all traction control devices. I can't believe you guys are running traction control while out rowing the gears. Yeah, when I hit the powerband in 2nd the tires break loose and the car wants to go sideways - i don't let it!! Guess growing up in the 70's driving all those rear wheel drive muscle cars helped with my driver mod.

Yeah...those 250-300hp muscle cars probably taught you a lot about driving. LOL

Just poking fun. With the skinny tires, lack of technology, etc, they were a handful to drive.

whatsup62

Established Member
+1000

Yeah...those 250-300hp muscle cars probably taught you a lot about driving. LOL

Just poking fun. With the skinny tires, lack of technology, etc, they were a handful to drive.

Taken in jest.
My senior year of high school I drove a 1970 Chevelle SS LS6, 4 speed - in the Winter in Iowa. I learned quickly.

jacker1991

Established Member
I guess I am the only that always disables TC as soon as I start the car...

Feel sad now. :(

Users who are viewing this thread