Why all the out cry over Street Racing?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
"My Car, My Choice" LOL

I'm for just about everything being legal, but people who split between cars while racing are retards.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
This really isn't a good example.

If the same amount of people street raced, as drove "spiritedly" or above the speed limit, the amount of street racing deaths would be astronomically higher.

That's like saying you have a better chance of dying in a car accident rather than a motorcycle accident, only because annually more people die in car accidents. Even though you are 26x more likely to die on a bike than in a car, because bikes make up such a small percentage of the actual traffic.

Except the iihs statistics say 33 percent of all crashes involve speeding.

A LOT of street racing happens. Safe to say, if you count everything from 1320 to the random stoplight encounter, you're talking millions upon millions of them each year. Florida alone above issuing 7000+ citations a year. How many people speed vs get a ticket, think about how many race vs getting a ticket.... Translates to a ton of it in Florida alone. That's why the 49/1000 is complete nonsense. (How do you track a statistic like that without knowing how many races happen)

Not all street racing is homicidally dangerous, just like all spirited driving is not. I've seen it done where the only danger was to the participants, and I've seen it done in really really stupid ways, just like a spirited drive. But slapping a generic label on it and acting like you're a mass shooter for doing it is utterly stupid.

Our closest track is 2.5~ hours away, has limited events, and is usually a jam packed event (gateway) They closed KCIR, they closed another years ago near STL both because politicians listened to people who built houses next to it and bitched after. You really expect highschool kids to own a trailer/truck and spend 4-5 hours driving for maybe 2-3 passes? Right.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Just to poke the bear...What is your street car again? You never, ever, accelerate hard or speed in it right? You just spent tons money for track racing and car shows correct?

Also, what's the distance to your local track?
My street car? A 2009 Honda Civic LX! My "weekend" car is a C6Z06. Do I accelerate hard in it? Yes, on occasion I will open it up for a gear or two on a highway entrance ramp or accelerate past the posted limit on an open road with no other vehicles. I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I don't track it often and I'm not into the "car show" scene. The car is basically an expensive status symbol which provides me with an occasional jolt of adrenaline. At 54 it doesn't take much these days. My Z06 has 42K on it and 35K of that is all long distance highway miles to be brutally honest.

What I don't do though is street race. I have a drag strip that's open year round less than 15 minutes from my house and if I want to get some curves in I can hit an HPDE at Barbers Motorsport Park which is about 90 minutes away. Last high speed run I did in my car on a track was at Talladega a couple years back.

U.M.

Kiohtee

Established Member
My street car? A 2009 Honda Civic LX! My "weekend" car is a C6Z06. Do I accelerate hard in it? Yes, on occasion I will open it up for a gear or two on a highway entrance ramp or accelerate past the posted limit on an open road with no other vehicles. I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I don't track it often and I'm not into the "car show" scene. The car is basically an expensive status symbol which provides me with an occasional jolt of adrenaline. At 54 it doesn't take much these days. My Z06 has 42K on it and 35K of that is all long distance highway miles to be brutally honest.

What I don't do though is street race. I have a drag strip that's open year round less than 15 minutes from my house and if I want to get some curves in I can hit an HPDE at Barbers Motorsport Park which is about 90 minutes away. Last high speed run I did in my car on a track was at Talladega a couple years back.

U.M.

Just curious here; what is the difference between you opening up your C6Z06 "for a gear or two on a highway entrance ramp" (which BTW could be 90 up to 120MPH or so, depending on the starting and finishing gear) and person B racing person C at the same speeds?

Keep in mind that nobody is condoning these crazy 150+MPH street races that certain YouTube channels like to display, nor does anyone here approve of racing down the interstate at 5PM.

I just have a very hard time understanding how anyone can justify their anti-street racing viewpoint with "it's unnecessary." Sure it is, but so is any car you own with more than 120HP. Are you going to stop driving it and sell it? No? Why? Because it doesn't hurt or bother anyone? Well, neither do the countless car guys street racing that you never hear or see.

2000gt4.6

Established Member

U.M.

So as long as another car isn't next to you doing the exact same thing, accelerating hard and exceeding the posted limit.. it's ok.

What if another car happens to be behind you accelerating hard and speeding too? Exactly how far apart do you need to be before it turns from perfectly acceptable and safe to reprehensible terrorist action? 20 feet? 100? Or is it only if the car is next to you on the side?

Despite the cold hard fact that more people(by far) both in car and bystander, are hurt/killed due to hard accel and speeding vs street racing you draw a line.

Simple fact is, you choose a safe place where if you ball your vette into a tree it hurts nobody but you. Pick and choose a safe place to get a little hard run in and roll the dice one of a million things don't go wrong....Just like some do with street racing.

And just like street racing, some other idiot in a car identical to yours picks a city street to floor it on and plows into grandma. Time and place.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
first I think people comparing street racing the gun issue is silly. Since we are talking about the Houston event I will talk about Texas gun laws. I can legally own a gun the act of owning it is not it self illegal. while street racing is in no way legal. ...

That's an incorrect analogy. It's legal to own a gun. It's illegal to go out and shoot it randomly in public. It's legal to own a car. It's illegal to street race.

Anyways... For those vehemently against street racing, how do you feel about lane hogs? I mean, those guys! Am I right?

o2gt

Established Member
That's an incorrect analogy. It's legal to own a gun. It's illegal to go out and shoot it randomly in public. It's legal to own a car. It's illegal to street race.

Anyways... For those vehemently against street racing, how do you feel about lane hogs? I mean, those guys! Am I right?
I understand what your saying. But when people anologies gun regulation or ownership to street racing it's flawed from the start. You can't legally street race it's illegal no lawful purpose. While you would have to qualify how a gun is used to make it illegal. Even if you walked around shooting people it would again depend on others factors in determining if the gun was illegal. That is not the case with street racing. The racing is illegal not the car .

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I understand what your saying. But when people anologies gun regulation or ownership to street racing it's flawed from the start. You can't legally street race it's illegal no lawful purpose. While you would have to qualify how a gun is used to make it illegal. Even if you walked around shooting people it would again depend on others factors in determining if the gun was illegal. That is not the case with street racing. The racing is illegal not the car .

Something being illegal or not has zero to do with it being right or wrong.

It's illegal to own a gun in certian countries...Does that mean any ownership or gun use on those countries is immoral?

What if they outlaw guns? Does that then change the nature of any accidental shooting into a murder?

If you make the statement that anything illegal is "wrong" you are allowing government to set morality. I can't think of a worse path to take.

Klay

Established Member
I never understood that argument.

Well, it is called being a hypocrite. Doing something yourself (or something similar) then getting mad at someone else for doing it is the definition of hypocrisy.

Not saying you can't warn someone of the dangers though.

o2gt

Established Member
Something being illegal or not has zero to do with it being right or wrong.
I will agree that it's not always the case. But say that legality and morality of certain actions have nothing in common is a silly statement. There is often a correlation to actions that are deemed right or wrong (morality) and a legal stance that is taken.
It's illegal to own a gun in certian countries...Does that mean any ownership or gun use on those countries is immoral?
No it does not. But street racing is an act not an object. This conversation seems to be U.S focused. You can own a gun but again the use is what is at issue.

What if they outlaw guns? Does that then change the nature of any accidental shooting into a murder?
Well it be would presumable that you would be charge with an unlawful weapons charge. But that's not what we are talking about. It would not change the accidental nature of the act. It would not turn it into murder.
If you make the statement that anything illegal is "wrong" you are allowing government to set morality. I can't think of a worse path to take.

Last edited:

UnrealSVT

Established Member
It's a really selfish activity is what it is. I love cars. I love racing. Thank God for my unlimited data plan due to all of the 1320 video, RWYB and TRC videos I watch. BUT...I'm also an over the road truck driver and have seen alot of shit. Including wrecks due to kids with more balls than brains. You've gotta think...for every 2 people that want to race, and every few chase cars that want to watch...there is a whole roadway of innocent variables that you're weaving in and out of as if they're traffic cones.

Be safe out there and if you're gonna go out and play...go somewhere in which the only thing you're going to hurt if something goes wrong is your car and ego...

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I have No time to worry about idiots who are street racing because I am to busy trying to avoid getting hit by the idiots using their phones.

In Ohio, it is Not illegal to talk on a cell phone while your driving and texting is considered a Secondary law, which means you cannot be pulled over for only texting.

The odds on getting hurt or killed by street racing is such a small fraction compared to the odds on getting hurt or killed by someone using their phone while driving, yet we do Nothing about it.

Coiled03

Established Member
The stench of hypocrisy is STRONG in this thread.

Is it stupid to street race? Yep.
Does it endanger other people? Yep.
Haven't we all done something that endangers other people, at one time or another? Yep.

If you try to say no, you're either too stupid to know it, or too self-righteous to admit it.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I used to street race nearly every weekend when I was younger. Decently organized stuff. Because of that I can't really hate on anybody for their choice to do so, I get it. I also knew that I should probably hang up that hat while I was on top before anything happened.

I was fortunate enough to never be part of, or present in any situation that there was even an incident. So now I'm just happy to watch some youtube videos and keep my low insurance rates.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
One thing I think about is what all the car guys are going to do once these self driving cars become mainstream. Can the government make it mandatory for everyone to have self driving cars? I don't think self driving cars will be taken off the shelf for any or our lifetimes but does make you wonder what the future holds.

The stench of hypocrisy is STRONG in this thread.

Is it stupid to street race? Yep.
Does it endanger other people? Yep.
Haven't we all done something that endangers other people, at one time or another? Yep.

If you try to say no, you're either too stupid to know it, or too self-righteous to admit it.

Indeed right about no matter what, we are endangering people's lives. Driving at the posted speed limit and in a safe manner can be argued that you are endangering people's lives.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Well, it is called being a hypocrite. Doing something yourself (or something similar) then getting mad at someone else for doing it is the definition of hypocrisy.

Not saying you can't warn someone of the dangers though.

Continuing to do it while telling people not to do it would make you a hypocrite. If you've done it (whatever "it" may be) and realized it was wrong and stopped that's different.

Whether or not you become a hypocrite doesn't change whether the activity is right or wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread