Why A Rolls-Royce?

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
It's one of those questions in life that gets answered by: "If you have to ask..."

There's just a certain point where some people have enough money that decisions like this amount to us regular folk deciding between a 10-dollar steak dinner at Denny's or a 40-dollar one at a proper steak-house. Practicality doesn't come into play if and when you decide for the expensive meal.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Like others have said its a status thing. RR are awesome cars, and are meant to be ridden in, and shoffered around in instead of driven.

What you're saying is the same thing I would say in the fact that I would rather own a nice F150 FX4 or Raptor over a S-Class Benz. I could drive from here the California in either truck, and be perfectly comfortable as modern trucks are smooth very nice ridding vehicle with all the feature, and comforts that I need, and more. Hell a Platinum is an extremely comfortable truck with awesome interior materials, and comforts so why do you need to spend double the price on a Benz? With that said I'm sure the new S-Class is a awesome luxury car with great power, but its not for everybody especially in the price range.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
If you can afford a Rolls Royce, chances are, you have a lot of money to play with, and a 200K wont be that big of an issue to spend on a "nicer" car.

You could definately get the job done with the comfort of a mercedes, but in the end, its no Rolls Royce.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but since I was the OP, I figured it wouldn't be the worst thing to do. In the months since I posted that question, I've had the pleasure of driving several Rolls-Royce's and I now have my answer. Besides the obvious exclusivity, it's by far the smoothest and quietest car I've ever been in. The car I compared it to originally, the Mercedes S550, doesn't even come close as far as sheer smoothness or quietness. You can be driving down a rough road doing 50 mph and it's like you're driving on glass. There's no wind noise, there's no engine noise, there's no exhaust noise. I'm convinced you could have a conversation with someone in the car doing well over 100 and not even have to raise your voice over what you would in a quiet room. With all that said, it's also a little boring. It's so quiet you're almost not even aware of anything that's going on around you. It's like sitting in your most comfortable chair at home alone, except you're going 60 mph down a highway. It's probably not worth the extra money to most people, but if you have the means, it's absolutely a HUGE step up from an S-Class Merc. Anyway, sorry to bring back the thread, but I had my answer, and figured someone might be interested to hear it.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I bought mine for the ''status''

Plus women always want to ride it....

65fastback2+2

Established Member
you can actually have one of your personal fine-wood trees cut down from your estate and shipped to rolls and then they will use it as the wood for the entire interior of your personal, custom rolls.

can you do that with a mercedes? is a mercedes hand built by a SINGLE mechanic from start to finish?????

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Wth, I wonder how much wood is required.

Well, in response to the dead thread op revived. I think alot of owners don't care about the comfort. Particularly rappers and athletes. I will say that with a Benz (which I prefer stylewise) you can sort of assume that the owner probably had to save up as much as he could to afford it. Whereas being a Rolls owner implies that your pockets are so loaded that a RR was the most expensive thing you could find. In other words, a RR owner is completely on another level.

silvernewedge

Established Member
It's all about the opulence/ status image with cars like RR. Other than build quality and comfort, there's nothing outstanding about them, they're simply another playtoy for the people with the mula to play. Much like six-figure watches, ridiculously expensive suits, and the like. It's just a silent way of telling everyone who sees you that you're loaded.

oilwell1415

Established Member
The only thing that says Rolls Royce on it that I have any use at all for is 70 years old and named after a mythical sorceror. I just don't get the point of a super luxo car. Then again, I choose to drive a 20+ year old truck every day and I would still drive it every day if Bill Gates gave me his estate.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I saw a RR Phantom Drophead Coupe this past friday in Georgetown. I'd say he turned a few heads. If a S class was driving down the same street, not a single person would look twice.

Same reason people buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini over a 911 Turbo.

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
buddy of mine has one, we drink beer in it...lol, funny how people treat you when they
pull up next to you in a RR

03snakenvtn

Established Member
buddy of mine has one, we drink beer in it...lol, funny how people treat you when they
pull up next to you in a RR

People definitely take notice, that's for sure. They're such big cars, that they're hard not to notice. I'm not sure how I'd feel about everyone staring at me everywhere I went, but who knows, it'd be nice to have one.

Rochard

Established Member
Why did he buy a Rolls Royce? Simple. Anyone can say "I drive Mercedes". It's not impressive. But when you say "I drive a Rolls Royce".....

Totally different thing.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
Different comparison, but the same point... I've driven a Toyota Avalon and a Lexus LS series, and although the Avalon has far more legroom in the back and costs mid-high 20s new, I'd rather have the Lexus. For me it's about 10% exclusivity, 30% craftsmanship, 30% quality of materials/components, and 20% driving dynamics. This applies to most comparisons like that.

My Buick is far more comfortable than my bosses Lexus, faster, more room and softer suspension, but I can't imagine choosing it over a comparable Lexus. I don't like post-2001 Mercedes(except for the SL), so that's not a good comparison for me,

Users who are viewing this thread