Why A Rolls-Royce?

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Ok, so a little background on this question. I work at a Mercedes dealership in Boston, and today my boss comes in in a 2010 Rolls-Royce Ghost. I didn't get the chance to drive it, but I sat in it and it got my wondering, why a Rolls-Royce? I got home today and looked up the price of this beast: $304,000. I know that it probably has super thick glass making it the quietest car on earth, and I'm sure rides better than anything else, but still. Working at a Mercedes dealership, I get to drive tons of S-Classes, and I just can't see needing a car smoother or quieter than an S. You can buy an S550 with everything you could ever imagine, including night-vision, massaging seats, etc, for a little over $100k. To make it a little more interesting, you can buy an S65 AMG that'll get you every option Mercedes has, and adds a 604hp/738ft-lb engine that's faster than most cars you'll ever run up against, and only pay a touch over $200k, and that's if you buy brand new. The only feature I saw on the Rolls that Mercedes doesn't have is a heated windshield. So again I wonder, what's so great about a Rolls-Royce, minus the obvious exclusivity of owning one?

wjk

Established Member
Same reason why people would rather have a base Mercedes over a Ford Taurus SHO.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
How many people do you know with Mercedes?

How many people do you know that own Rolls?

There ya go

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Name mostly, but your also talking about an assembly line made car, VS an entirely hand crafted car. Every piece of wood in there, hand shaped. It's a very meticullously made vehicle. They use leather from only certain breeds of cows, from certain regions, etc.
But a Rolls isn't meant to be driven, but to be ridden in. Like a limo.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
well, you can say you drive a Rolls.. doesn't matter if it's 30 years old or 1.. it's still a Rolls.. a 30 year old Benz is a cheap beater..

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Name mostly, but your also talking about an assembly line made car, VS an entirely hand crafted car. Every piece of wood in there, hand shaped. It's a very meticullously made vehicle. They use leather from only certain breeds of cows, from certain regions, etc.
But a Rolls isn't meant to be driven, but to be ridden in. Like a limo.

I would probably agree with this statement if it was a Phantom, but the Ghost actually has a smaller back seat than an S-Class. I don't know, the materials they use may be of higher quality, but no one would know it if you didn't tell them that. The seats in an S65 AMG are far more comfortable and adjustable in every way imaginable. And a lot of the AMG's are hand-built as well. I guess I just don't know why anyone would choose a Rolls Ghost over say, a Maybach. The Maybach's I would say are worth the $300k (if any luxury car is) because they do have ridiculous room in the back seat, but the Ghost just doesn't. I guess exclusivity > everything...

DCAN87

Established Member
I'm with you. With the new S-Class, there's no real reason to buy anything more expensive. Even if I did want something more exclusive than a S-Class, my next choice would be a maybach. I don't think the Rolls comes close to a maybach in terms of quality or comfort.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I think the amount of pro athletes and artists driving Maybach's says it all. Rajon Rondo had his Maybach at the dealership today. It's definitely a sick car. He's got his jersey #9 engraved in the center the wheels. I got a picture of it on my phone but don't know how to get it up here without having to get it hosted somewhere. If anyone wants to see it I can send it to someone with a hosting account and they can post it up.

7.62x51

Established Member
I drove a 2010 S550 last month, very nice car. However I was more impressed with the ride quality of the LS600.

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
OP, you would simply just have to drive one.

And like everyone else said, there is something to driving a car very few others have. A Mercedes S is an incredible car. But when you see an S series or a 7 series or most really nice cars, you may think that person has a great job and has a lot of money.

But you roll up in a Rolls Royce, now people think you come from royalty. It's a totally different level.

Case in point. An S65 is one of the baddest luxury cars out there. It has everything, from power to being comfortable to being well built.

But park it next to a Rolls Phantom, and you won't see the S65. The Phantom has *presence* unlike any other car out there. You've GOT to be a Prince or something if you're driving a Ghost or a Phantom, right?

snake134

because mercedes can't top rolls royce class
Rolls_Royce_Phantom_1_163982515.jpg

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
every one is different. i for one would take any BMW over any benz all day every day. i have worked on benz and driven plenty of them and have yet to be impressed with anything they do.

i will admit i am bitter, since benz dumped total shit on us at dodge. the Nag1 trans, 3.2 v6 in the crossfire, sprinter, lx plaform, all of which is pure garbage.

Dusten

Established Member
Granted parts of amg's are hand crafted, but they are not built to anywhere near the level that a rolls is. Is there a good reason a rolls is what it is, no way.

Common

Established Member
Rolls will get you laid with royalty, Benz will get you laid with a yuppy soccer milf from Northern NJ.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
It's a status thing for the rich...It's says I have more money then you loser. That's about it.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Same reason why people would rather have a base Mercedes over a Ford Taurus SHO.

Ha, when the SHO came out everyone on here was trying to say that it was going to sell like hot cakes. I haven't even seen one in person.

Users who are viewing this thread