why a boostapump and boostaspark?

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
Curious as to why cobras need them but built high HP lightnings don't?

My cobra may be getting a stage 4 ported blower in the near future and for the trucks we'd just upgrade the pumps, MAF, injectors, and plugs (if needed). How is the cobra different?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
For a ported/pullied/bolt-ons setup most get by with the stock fuel system. On a mild Whipple or KB setup some just do a BAP and injectors, others do pumps, fpdm, lines, wire upgrades, maf, injectors....and the list goes on the higher up the hp scale you go. The same concepts apply for cobras as they do for lightnings. Not sure where you got your information.

I don't really know of anyone needing a Boost-a-Spark. Maybe on like pre c.o.p cars like the 96-98 cobras?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Boost-a-spark is rarely needed, IMHO.

The newer ports are putting down serious power.
Over or near 500 RWHP, and fuel pump duty cycle needs to be looked at, and so does MAF counts.

A Boost-a-Pump and stock pumps will support well over 600RWHP.

2003svtf150

Sledge
Established Member
Okay so I guess I'm way off on the spark issue. Upgrading MAf, injectors, and pumps for the higher fuel demand of a high horsepower motor is common knowledge. For the trucks we'll just drop in two 255 pumps and thats good for just about anything you throw at it, minus the 3.4 whipple, but we're not putting in a boostapump.

Does the cobra's fuel system not have the ability to run its fuel pumps at 100% without a boostapump? Is that why the cobra needs it or does the BAP push the pumps past its factory duty-cycle limits?

GodStang

Established Member
Okay so I guess I'm way off on the spark issue. Upgrading MAf, injectors, and pumps for the higher fuel demand of a high horsepower motor is common knowledge. For the trucks we'll just drop in two 255 pumps and thats good for just about anything you throw at it, minus the 3.4 whipple, but we're not putting in a boostapump.

Does the cobra's fuel system not have the ability to run its fuel pumps at 100% without a boostapump? Is that why the cobra needs it or does the BAP push the pumps past its factory duty-cycle limits?

You do not have to have a BAP. I had my BAP turned off and got over 700rwhp. It just depends how you want your setup.

Users who are viewing this thread