Why a 3V 06 Motor?

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Why did Ford decide to go with a 3V 06 Cobra motor? The 3V is only a step up from the 2V, why wouldnt they keep the 4V for the Cobra? Look at how well the 03/04 4Vs are doing

boostfreak07

Established Member
The 3v is not as crappy as you may think.

3v head is smaller & lighter then the 2v head.

the 3v head uses variable cam timing which is superior to a 4v head without VCT.

the fuel economy with a 3v VCT head vs a non VCT 4v head will be excellent.

the 3v head gives a lot of mod options without sacrificing low or top end in terms of both an n/a car with a variable geometry intake and a FI car.

Since the 3.9L engine in the thunderbird & lincoln LS uses a 4v head with VCT don't be suprised if you see the 32v VCT head on the navigator which should in theory swap on to the cobra block giving you the best of both worlds.

VCT is a good thing and it's exciting to see what tuners will do with it.

mr-mstng

Established Member
I think the 3v motor is going to be for the GT, not the Cobra. The Cobra is going to have a lot more ponies.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Yeah, the 3v motor is for the Mustang GT... a 3v 4.6 would be a step down no matter how much better the engine setup is.

Thats like Ferrari going from the 3.6 liter 40 valve V8 in the 360, back down to a 32 valve.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Evil SS
is the 3v head a soch or a doch?

This is just an educated guess, but Im going to say SOHC. 5 valve motors are still DOHC's, so I'd guess thats how it would work when it comes to 3v's.

rhumbline

Established Member
The '05 SOHC 3V would certainly be a step up from the current 2V motor in the GT. The SOHC 3V design does have some definite advantages over either the 2V (better breathing mostly) or the 4V (cheaper, lighter, more compact, slightly easier emissions compliance). Mercedes, for one, seems to have no qualms about the 3V design and get very good power out of them.

While the DOHC 4V would certainly have the most performance potential due to better exhaust breathing and the potential to have independently variable intake and exhaust, the 3V design is close in that regard and is slightly easier to make emissions compliant, what with only one exhaust valve to warm up for start up emissions.

My guess is that you'll see the 3V on the GT, then the 4V design on some intermediate performance models and finally, a SC 4V 5.4 for the top of the line Cobra.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm 90% certain it is a SOHC. I haven't heard of this going into the Cobra, but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Manufacturers don't always take the well beaten path if it is in their best interest to start a new one. Even if the crowd wants to use that well beaten path.
:rollseyes

Paul Vincent

Established Member
Blue Oval News had info about the three valve engine three or so years ago. I believe that this engine was the subject of difficulty between Ford and Mercedes. It isn't a second rate or junk engine even if it isn't four valves. For sure it is a step up from the two valve.

Users who are viewing this thread