Who's your insurance agent?

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I'm with State Farm and I feel like I'm getting hosed. I have an Explorer, the Cobra, and a house on my policy and I'm still paying $186/month for the 'stang.

I called Allstate and they quoted $1,677 for 6months for the Cobra and $1,000 for 6months on the Explorer. :??: I'm 28. I figured I'd be in a good price bracket. Guess not. :nonono:

I need to call around for better pricing. Anyone have suggestions?

Whiskey City

Established Member
You may want to play with your deductables on the Cobra. I also have State Farm and with one other car (Accord), home and life, my Cobra VERT insurance is only $69/month and that's full coverage (collision & comprehensive). Now, I have a $1000 deductable and it's classified a "liesure vehicle" which means I can only drive 7500 miles/year. The mileage thing isn't a problem for me since it's only a sunny-day/wknd car for me. Your situation may be different.

Do shop around though. Make sure you stay with the bigger/national firms. I made a mistake once going with a cheaper, local, insurance guy only to find out later that he was considered a "High Risk" agent. Big companies like State Farm and Allstate wouldn't take me eventhough I had a clean record. It's all good now.

BTW, after you turn 25, there's no more breaks for age. The only thing you can do now to bring your rates down is get married...and that's a HUGE price to pay for lower rates.

Good luck!

stevieb

Established Member
I was with Statefarm for over 30 years. No claims/accidents or tix, they quoted me something like $1900 year, Allstate (my bike carrier) was a bit cheaper. Then my agent told me to try Costco, the carrier by the way is American Express through Costco. They quoted me get this $300 every 6 months with $1k deductable, 7500 mi limit, 100/300 liab. They said they wont take anyone with any thing on their record, but if I get 1 or 2 tix that shouldnt raise my rates. Here in Calif the first one is free (traffic school) and dont count. So this is where all my cars are now.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
Ok it seems like I'm really getting ripped. I tried calling different places and I seem to get the same price or higher. Right now I have AAA and I pay about $4500 a year for 2 vehicles. One, my cobra, and the other a 98 S-10. I have $500 collision and $100 comprehensive dedc. on both. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do something here because this ins payment is killing me. I have 1 point on my record and I'm turning 23 in november. It's almost like I'm making 2 car payments....regoshdarndicuous

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Good posts guys. Thanks. I'll look into bumping up my deductible. It's at $500 right now. I'm not sure about the leisure vehicle thing. I only drive about 20 miles per week and I work 2 miles from my house. I wonder if that'll matter.

Here's the kicker about the whole thing. The Cobra is insured under my g/f. So it's $2400 annually for a 28yo female? Yeesh.

Whiskey City

Established Member
Unit,

7500 miles/year is 7500 miles/year no matter how you slice it. You could do it all in one month if you like. Besides, it's not like the Insurance Nazis will come to your house and check your odometer. As long as you stay under the limit...wink, wink, nudge, nudge...you'll be fine.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
I use erie had been with them from the time i started driving till now.

2 cars 92 lumina, and the 03 comes to 1200 a year if i keep full coverage on the cobra if i go to just fire and theft in the winter it cost me like 800 a year for both

i think i have 300/100k with 1000 deduct if i went to 500 it ups it like 400 a year

my R1 2002 was 500 a year for full from them when i totaled my R1 they gave me 1000 over book and 500 for my gear i would say they are pretty good

no rate incresses yet

POP TOP

Banned
I work for American Family so I know how it goes. My cars are costing me more than I would like. But that is because of some tickets and my age. But the good thing about us is we stand by our insureds. If you have a claim we pay it, all be with a posssible rate increase, but at least we don't drop you. You are on the door step of a discount at 28. Your rate's should go down at 29 and then again at 30. Also if you are married and have less than two tickets that is a great help. Who ever you contact make sure they are giving you all the discounts that apply to you. And like Whiskey City said stay away from those 1-800 guys, they maybe cheap but theres a reason.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
last thing when i was looking for motor cycle insurance i got qoute's from 4500 to 500 a year i called every single place and person in the phone book your money is worth it you might be able to save some....geico sucks lol

best of luck to ya unit

Snkbyte

I'm the cream of the crop
Established Member
I have progressive right know and I pay 95 dollars a month for fire and theft on the cobra and plpd on a 93 sundance. If I had full coverage on the cobra it would be 320 a month but I have a DUI and careless on my record. Plus my cars have been insured under my parents since my DUI and I haven't had continous insurance and that kills you.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
Originally posted by Snkbyte
I have progressive right know and I pay 95 dollars a month for fire and theft on the cobra and plpd on a 93 sundance. If I had full coverage on the cobra it would be 320 a month but I have a DUI and careless on my record. Plus my cars have been insured under my parents since my DUI and I haven't had continous insurance and that kills you.

:eek: :eek: :xpl:

Wow holy crap

quad

Established Member
I'm with AAA and my insurance is $155/month. I have 2 points on my license which adds about $15/month so I should be around $140/month on a clean record.

My car is a daily for now but I plan on changing that soon. I have $250 comprehensive deductible and $500 basic collision deductible.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
quad - I'll give AAA a call today. That's where I feel my payment should be. I have one 5 over speeding ticket in the past few years.

Vector - Thanks for the tips and the good luck wishes.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
called AAA today to find out why it costs me so much...turns out they had my brother and my mom's boyfriend...both of which have bad driving records on my policy and never told me they had them on there. They took the boyfriend off with proof of his ins, and it went down $800 a year. My brother is in the military so they have to locate him first to verify his location, then they can take him off and it will go down more. Then they want proof of previous insurance from them so I can get money back...I'm so happy!!!!

Last edited:

Snkbyte

I'm the cream of the crop
Established Member
illadvisedSnake- What a bunch of dumb asses thank god you gave them a call or you would still be getten it in the pooper :bash:

Will

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Originally posted by illadvisedSnake
called AAA today to find out why it costs me so much...turns out they had my brother and my mom's boyfriend...both of which have bad driving records on my policy and never told me they had them on there. They took the boyfriend off with proof of his ins, and it went down $800 a year. My brother is in the military so they have to locate him first to verify his location, then they can take him off and it will go down more. Then they want proof of previous insurance from them so I can get money back...I'm so happy!!!!

Shouldn't you get reimbursed?

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
I will for as many months as I have proof the people had their own insurance...... so far I only got 6 months proof, hopefully I get cash instead of credit....A-holes! I think I'm the idiot for just paying it. Funny thing is, what I was paying before was still on average 800 cheaper a year then the quotes I was getting.

I guess the only way to make it clear is tell them you are the only driver, all others are excluded. its still a bunch of BS though.

:nono:

quad

Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
quad - I'll give AAA a call today. That's where I feel my payment should be. I have one 5 over speeding ticket in the past few years.

Vector - Thanks for the tips and the good luck wishes.

Dan,

I'm not sure if this is the case but the area you live in might also affect your insurance rate. The fact that I live in Bloomfield probably helps me. I only drive 3 miles to work one way.

Good luck!

Whiskey City

Established Member
Where you live, where you drive to and how much you drive most certainly help determine your rate.

I'm not an insurance agent, but I play one on TV...

Users who are viewing this thread