Who's running long tubes?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
If I read the dyno numbers correctly the car was 394 prior to the LT and o/r xpipe and after LT and o/r xpipe 424.

That is 30hp. The o/r x pipe was 15 of that, so the LTs are worth 15hp.

That is disappointing to me because while another 15hp would be awesome, for $1,000-$1,500 for the LTs and another $400 for the install that is $100-$125 / hp vs the $300 for my h-pipe and $75 for the install for the same 15hp at $25/hp.

Anyone try shorties and have before and after dynos?

Your not only getting the power benefit, but the sound benefit as well.

Different wheels, window tint, short throw shifters, they all add 0 hp per $$, but, there is still benefit there.

BURTON iZ KiLLA

Established Member

Eaglei532

Still kinda boot at this
Established Member
The difference isn't much between all of LT makers. But whenever I get a chance to put an American product on an American made car while putting that money back into America, everyone wins

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
The difference isn't much between all of LT makers. But whenever I get a chance to put an American product on an American made car while putting that money back into America, everyone wins
Yeah but because of the economy, not everyone can afford the more expensive brand just so it goes to other Americans. not everyone wins IMO.

If I read the dyno numbers correctly the car was 394 prior to the LT and o/r xpipe and after LT and o/r xpipe 424.

That is 30hp. The o/r x pipe was 15 of that, so the LTs are worth 15hp.

That is disappointing to me because while another 15hp would be awesome, for $1,000-$1,500 for the LTs and another $400 for the install that is $100-$125 / hp vs the $300 for my h-pipe and $75 for the install for the same 15hp at $25/hp.

Anyone try shorties and have before and after dynos?
Time out, your putting too much effort into this equation. Sound alone is worth it to me and the hp increase.

Also you can't compare this mod gave me this much without this mod, so that must mean combo them together And it's the same gain vs gain.

LT and X work together, bigger peak gains across the board especially in low RPMs with LT vs X by its self. here's what i mean. Check out this Graph and compare the X by itself and headers combined with the X pipe.
Longtubes
NOTE: LT on this graph is also paired but with the boss manifold when the X-pipe has the stock manifold so hard to fully compare but you can see the gains from long tubes

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
If the sound alone is worth the $1,500 too you cool, I like to know bang for buck which is why I wonder how a shorty setup with o/r mid pipe would compare, for half the price if it came within 10hp that would be the ticket for me.

byeofcr

Established Member
stupid question possibly but, do any of these require removing one of the long tubes if you need to drop your tranny down later like on the sn95 bbk long tubes?

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
You seem like a real close minded person whos new to mustangs, dyno charts, and modding so your obviously not going to understand. So I will try to explain it to you again. LT will give you more PEAK POWER over an x-pipe and more horsepower when comparing the two.

I spent a total of 1,000 for an o/r h-pipe and LT. And did the install myself with a friend. Mind you that you would be spending 300-500 dollars on an X-pipe regardless if you were to go the none LT route. The only problem with that is you can't match those up to LT so you would have to sell it and buy one that matches up to LT.

Yeah 36 hp and big PEAK gains are worth it in my book. Maybe someone else can chime in

Bud

Established Member
Your not only getting the power benefit, but the sound benefit as well.

Different wheels, window tint, short throw shifters, they all add 0 hp per $$, but, there is still benefit there.

I want it quiet with more power, I like mashing the fun pedal without every cop around hearing what I'm doing. I guess sound is a necessary evil to keep whittling away at the ET's though.

What do you think the headers were worth on your blower car. I'm running the TVS but at high altitude so not near the power of others, but curious if the headers become a larger gain on blower cars or not.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
You seem like a real close minded person whos new to mustangs, dyno charts, and modding so your obviously not going to understand. So I will try to explain it to you again. LT will give you more PEAK POWER over an x-pipe and more horsepower when comparing the two.

I spent a total of 1,000 for an o/r h-pipe and LT. And did the install myself with a friend. Mind you that you would be spending 300-500 dollars on an X-pipe regardless if you were to go the none LT route. The only problem with that is you can't match those up to LT so you would have to sell it and buy one that matches up to LT.

Yeah 36 hp and big PEAK gains are worth it in my book. Maybe someone else can chime in

Talk about defensive, look if you like your headers great, i'm just trying to get an idea about the bang for buck with them, it's that simple.

I'm sure I'm not nearly as smart as you but from your dyno graphs you posted looks like you picked up no more peak and no noticeable area under the curve with the lts, don't know if that means you need a better tune or what but that is what your graph shows.

As far as the length of the tubes with the mid pipe that is why I'm asking about people with experience with shorties, you don't have that so I'm not sure why you are so hell bent on proving why your LTs are the bees knees.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I love the way the car sounds with them. Most mods if your looking horsepower per dollar than your not going to be satisfied. supercharger kits run about 6k and most people will see 150hp gain (plus or minus depending on the boost) if my math is right you are seeing .025hp per dollar spent. my LTs ran 1200 with cats and Xpipe so if we go with the netted 36 as posted about you gain .030 hp per dollar spent. so if your looking at it from that stand point the headers are a better buy. I didn't look at it from a hp per dollar stand point i bought mine at smiles per dollar (sounds retarded lol) but i get a shit eating grin everytime i start my car and drive it. I will supercharge my car because i want to. I personally think my money was well spent.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
supercharger kits run about 6k and most people will see 150hp gain (plus or minus depending on the boost) if my math is right you are seeing .025hp per dollar spent. my LTs ran 1200 with cats and Xpipe so if we go with the netted 36 as posted about you gain .030 hp per dollar spent.

Just to deal with whole numbers, $6,000 / 150 is $40 / hp

LTs installed would be between $1000-$2000 depending on brand and if you do the install yourself and they are worth 15hp alone, the o/r mid pipes are good for half of the 30 hp gain.

That is $1000 / 15 - $2000 / 15 for $67 - $133 / hp, for me I wouldn't be doing the install so that would push it closer to $120 / hp versus $40 / hp with a SC.

Too each his own, just my observations about the LTs and why I'm curious about the shorties since they are half the price and half the price for install.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Just to deal with whole numbers, $6,000 / 150 is $40 / hp

LTs installed would be between $1000-$2000 depending on brand and if you do the install yourself and they are worth 15hp alone, the o/r mid pipes are good for half of the 30 hp gain.

That is $1000 / 15 - $2000 / 15 for $67 - $133 / hp, for me I wouldn't be doing the install so that would push it closer to $120 / hp versus $40 / hp with a SC.

Too each his own, just my observations about the LTs and why I'm curious about the shorties since they are half the price and half the price for install.
Ive never been accused of being a math genius lol. ford qouted me about 1k for them to do the blower install. i dont see how shorties are half priced for install, its pretty much the same to install them or the long tubes. I installed my LTs so i didn't pay anything more than just the headers. if you search WBT did a write up on the shorties.

Users who are viewing this thread