Who's running long tubes?

SicShelby09

Banned
Of course they use a jig. It is a jig they developed when they hand built the first set of headers. OBX just makes their own jig based on other companies work. The reason the real headers are so expensive is that they have to build in the intellectual theft loss into their products.

Im ok with that, and I also don't feel the need to pay them for their intellectual loss. I could care less.

acrbill

Established Member
Did you ever get a set of mufflers or are you still rocking those muffler deletes? I bet long tube headers with smaller cats, no resonators and the muffler deletes would be too loud to deal with.

Im ok with that, and I also don't feel the need to pay them for their intellectual loss. I could care less.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
alright guys can we get back to people who have experience with long tubes on these cars. I don't care if its american made, chinese made, or polar bear made. The thread is to see who uses what and their experience with them.

98ss88mm

Established Member
I have SW long tubes, i like them. Worth the money for the hp increase? Hard to say lol, prob not but I wanted it. Im hoping they will shine when I add a blower soon. Im at about 423rwhp with JLT and SW exhaust (no cats). No real reason I didnt buy AR or Kooks, just prefer SW. I dont think you can wrong on those 3, but I wouldnt run BBK or any of that other stuff. Again, a personal opinion.

If you wanna mix it up and get froggy, try AR LTs and o/r x with a MBRP cat back. I think they sound tits from the video. In fact, I REALLY wanted this catback but went 100% SW because it was on sale and im cheap.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x_9mBhwfIE"]2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with MBRP "Race Series" Exhaust and Headers - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I have the Stainless Works LTs and they are awesome. I had a fitment issue with mine, they were 3/16th of an inch off. SW paid to send them back to them looked them over, built me a brand new set and sent them to me and once again i didnt pay for shipping to get them back to me either. Stellar customer service and for that reason i would go back to them again.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have the Stainless Works LTs and they are awesome. I had a fitment issue with mine, they were 3/16th of an inch off. SW paid to send them back to them looked them over, built me a brand new set and sent them to me and once again i didnt pay for shipping to get them back to me either. Stellar customer service and for that reason i would go back to them again.

:banana: :rockon:

WC_Racer

Established Member
I have a story.

I bought Kooks 1 7/8 LTH and their catted x-pipe a few months ago when I finally decided which one to get after looking at all the brands. Once they came in I went to my buddy's shop to get them installed. The driver side header was hitting the fuel rail and the frame of the car. Called Kooks about it, and they said we had to move the motor a bit to the left (towards the passenger side). Well after we did this, called them again and still informed them that it was hittting and making a rattling sound when the car is started. After picking up the car and after a week I went back to my buddies shop and we called Kooks again about it. They told us to take pictures and email it to them. After doing that, we called them a few days later and they admittied that there was a problem in the JIG and this wasnt the first call they got about the driver side header hitting. I spoke to one of the reps and he told me they would make a new one and send it out to them. 3-5 weeks later, honestly I cant remember. Now the crappy part about all these. I had to repay for the install of th new header. We talked to them, IMO I say its not fair for me to pay twice on the labor as we all know headers are expensive to install. Kooks said they couldnt do anything about it, even when we informed them twice that the header was not fitting. Also there was a big difference between the bad header and the new one.

I still have the headers, they work perfectly with no rattling. I wouldnt recommend them, only because I wasnt the first case of this happening.

Thats my story on them. Go with ARH or SW.

98ss88mm

Established Member
I did have to play with my k member and ended up bending the control arm bushing shell down with a pry bar so nothing would hit and rattle on turns with the body roll, but it was nothing major. Other than that, the fitment was good. As a car/4x4 guy, I realize that not everything is always 100% from car to car.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
I did have to play with my k member and ended up bending the control arm bushing shell down with a pry bar so nothing would hit and rattle on turns with the body roll, but it was nothing major. Other than that, the fitment was good. As a car/4x4 guy, I realize that not everything is always 100% from car to car.

True, but i feel for the price i should get a product that fits! When I talked to Paul at SW we tried to move the motor and when that didn't work I sent the pics and then the headers back. Now I have perfect fitting headers and after seeing the Kooks story compared to mine that just proves even more why SW rocks! where I did luck out was that I installed them myself so I didnt have to pay someone to take them off and on again.

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
I used JBA 1 7/8 with JBA o/r h-pipe. I don't think you will have a hard time choosing and won't be disappointed with either set. Just depends on how much coin you want to spend. I went with something cheaper and paid 900 total.I'm happy with my purchase as I'm sure there just as good as any other set on the market.
JBA headers installed - Ford Mustang Forums

Are you sure your JBAs are 1 7/8 and not 1 5/8? Jba doest list a 1 7/8 anywhere for the 5.0 only the 1 5/8. If it is for sure 1 7/8 Pm me the part number please.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
can you run full headerback exhaust on the stock tune?

i ran mine for a couple of weeks without a tune, i even datalogged it with the stock tune and long tubes and from what i could read it was running just fine without the tune, the only thing was the CEL would come on after awhile for cat efficiency due to hi flow cats.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i ran mine for a couple of weeks without a tune, i even datalogged it with the stock tune and long tubes and from what i could read it was running just fine without the tune, the only thing was the CEL would come on after awhile for cat efficiency due to hi flow cats.

what he said ^^^^

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
If I read the dyno numbers correctly the car was 394 prior to the LT and o/r xpipe and after LT and o/r xpipe 424.

That is 30hp. The o/r x pipe was 15 of that, so the LTs are worth 15hp.

That is disappointing to me because while another 15hp would be awesome, for $1,000-$1,500 for the LTs and another $400 for the install that is $100-$125 / hp vs the $300 for my h-pipe and $75 for the install for the same 15hp at $25/hp.

Anyone try shorties and have before and after dynos?

Users who are viewing this thread