Who's been to Washington DC?

UncleAnt

Established Member
Me and 3 friends are flying out April 5th-8th to DC and plan on staying in Arlington VA.we already plan to check out the Washington monument and Arlington.what other stuff would you recommend? What kind of things go on at night around there? We are between 24-27 yrs old just a FYI

I read it'll most likely be mid 60's during the day? I'll probably bring enough clothes to keep set but I'm still looking to be prepared ahead of time.im use to shorts and a Tshirt weather year round lol

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
World's biggest dumbass lives somewhere on Pennsylvania Avenue in a big white house.

Smithsonian Museums are pretty cool to visit. Also, buy a 1 day all day pass for the Metro. Quickest and easiest way to get around.

Last edited:

UncleAnt

Established Member
I'm not a Osama fan in the least.Ill probably have a permanent buzz going on so the white house isn't a place for me.

We'll have a rental car is it still easier to grab a metro pass?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Get a frommers guide to give you an idea on what DC has to offer. Metro is great. Just stay away from the green line. Washington monument still ain't fixed.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Next to the Washington monument is the Lincoln memorial and the Vietnam memorial. They're good to visit. Night life at Georgetown or Adams Morgan.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
the pentagon has the 9/11 memorial which we saw at night. its pretty nice as its lit up almost as if by candle light. we visited George Washington's Mt Vernon estate which is pretty nice and takes up a few hours.
the Smithsonians are huge and can take forever just to visit one of them.
the WWII memorial is really impressive during the day and at night. then of course vietnam and korea.
lincoln memorial and arlington cemetary of course.

we took the DC Ducks tour which was great! got to see sooo much we would have never seen and learned all kinds of interesting stuff about DC.

you cant even get into the WH without requesting passes waaay in advance. and they barely show you anything anyways. almost a waste of time. they only let you into a small section and thats it.

and yes, the subway is definitely the way to get around there.

there's a billion things to see/do in DC but some things might be kind of boring if youre with your buddies.

UncleAnt

Established Member
The entire trip was planned to check out most of the memorials and things that you can't see everyday.everyone going is cool with actually visiting everything most people our age wouldn't care about.we'll do the normal young guy bar hopping people watching later In The night

We definitely planned to check out the smithsonians and the ww2 memorial looks like we'll have to make a stop aswell.Arlington cemetery and tomb of the unknown soldier are also on the list of things to see.we'll stop at the space museum but most of us have seen the shuttle in person and launch a few times

Anytime I've ever been on a subway it's been super sketchy,I wish dc honored FL's cwp lol

Any unique places to eat you guys recommend? I've got a buddy that works for the IRS out in DC he was gonna show us some things too when he's not working.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I've been twice and had a blast! I would recommend you at least see the National Cathedral, visit the Holocaust museum and eat at Ben's Chili Bowl... And of course, see everything else.

My reason for going was to visit my bro-in-law and his wife as they lived 4.5 miles from the Whitehouse. They just moved to New York and are 3-4 hrs from Niagra Falls so that's the next vacation!!!

Ken03KBGTvert

Established Member
Wife, son, and I went last spring. Saw the cherry blossoms. Get lucky and park for free at the Thomas Jefferson Memorial parking area, then start walking. Lincoln, Washington, Korean, WWII, Vietnam, White House, Capitol....see it all in one day without moving your car. You will walk alot but you're almost half our age, you can do it. Library of Congress is cool. The Pentagon Memorial is awesome, period, but at night it's really cool looking. Try to get a hook up with your congressperson for a Capitol tour. Arlington/tomb of the unknown is also great to see. All the buildings are amazing to look at without even entering them. US National Archives & Records Administration, see the constitution, bill of rights and decleration of independence there. Bureau of engraving and printing is also neat.

Prepare to go thru metal detectors and have your stuff searched pretty much everywhere. Prepare to see and hear sirens, cops, etc. everywhere. Also, around the attractions it's no big deal but as soon as you get off the main stuff, prepare to see drugs and crime and prostitutes and pan handlers, beggers, bums, etc...

Adams Morgan to drink and hook up (remember this from a previous trip when I was younger and single LOL)

Have Fun
Ken

edit:mentioned above me, the National Cathedral. Amazing work of art.

Last edited:

tbi0904

Established Member
Most of the stuff you want to see is on the Mall starting from the Capitol all the way to the Lincoln Memorial. You'll probably be in town a little early for the cherry blossoms. In Virginia you have Mt. Vernon, Air and Space Museum, Arlington Cemetary, Marine Corps memorial. Georgetown is a great place to go drinking as long as you don't mind being around trust fund babies all night. If you get a chance check out Rock Creek Park. It's a really nice forest preserve in DC but avoid it like the plague during morning and evening rush hours, like the rest of DC/NoVa the traffic sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread