Whooped by a Hyundai.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Hyundai Genesis 4 door w/ 5.0 engine

Yep.. So here are the excuses first:

1. Both races he got the move.
2. My car has 4.10's, and we went from highway speeds (plus I'm automatic so I really only get 110 mph max or so)
3. My converter was unlocked until 90 both times

So.. my car -- Tork Tech 1998 Mustang GT. Ported PI heads, stock eaton, 6 psi, yadda yadda -- 375 rwhp through the automatic.

I was cruising to fill up on e85, when I saw this guy in a 4 door hyundai. He was trying to race, and he has a hyundai, so of course I was all like :bored:

He punched it from 70, I let him catch my door, then I floored it. I caught up, but he still beat me by a fender. :eek:

I motioned for us to slow down.. got down to about 55 mph and he hit it again. This time I pulled on him a bit and had half a door by the time I let out.

Still, first time out on the new setup and was definitely surprised. Looked them up -- they make 426 hp from the factory. What has happened to the world?

IMG_00661.jpg

lutador

Established Member
Wow a Genesis makes that much power? I remember the days when having 300hp made you one of the fastest guys on the road!

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Yeah that 4 door gen is faster than you think and I remember when the 05+ s197 gt'
s came out I thought I own the road with a 06 gt with 300hp SERIOUSLY! Haha good ol days.

wnt2gofst

Banned
Ya they are talking about putting the 5.0 they have in the 2 door couple. The current V6 makes 348 for the R Spec the 2.0T makes 274 with the 5.0 making the 429 for teh R spec. They got serious fast.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Fast Lil cars. Had a quick race against one with my 335i on jb4. Was pulling on it but kept up pretty good.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
^and it beat a blown mustang....your point? it has the same power as the old SRT8 cars/trucks and your giving the owner shit cause its not american? id take that genesis over any shitty dodge all day long.

they are fantastic cars and it shows. the performance game isnt just set on a few companies any longer. every car company has come kind of performance model or brand and most have serious contenders. a 426+hp hyundai is going to be the norm now, get ready people.

OP, great loss. those things have some damn power.

UncleDan

Established Member
^and it beat a blown mustang....your point? it has the same power as the old SRT8 cars/trucks and your giving the owner shit cause its not american? id take that genesis over any shitty dodge all day long.

they are fantastic cars and it shows. the performance game isnt just set on a few companies any longer. every car company has come kind of performance model or brand and most have serious contenders. a 426+hp hyundai is going to be the norm now, get ready people.

OP, great loss. those things have some damn power.

I know they've come a long way. Still though, $45,000 is a lot to spend on a Hyundai. You could buy a used Z06 for around that.

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
I know they've come a long way. Still though, $45,000 is a lot to spend on a Hyundai. You could buy a used Z06 for around that.

So it would be different if it were a Lexus IS-F? Or a C63 AMG M-B both of which could be bought 2-3 years old for that price.

People still have it stuck in their brain that Hyundai makes cheap little cars. Hyundai is the new Toyota, Nissan, and Honda. And the Genesis and Equus line is their Lexus, Infinity, and Acura. The quality, engineering, and as you can see performance is all there.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I went on a few Korean sites and they have Genesis hauling @ss on it. They show them street racing against Benzes BMW's and whooping @ss. A blown genesis is not a slow car by any means. Same things done to Supra's, Mazda's Nissans and yes our beloved Mustangs can be done on those cars as well. A few upgrades here and there, add the supporting mods, and BAM! A light little car making good power and unfortunately for the OP, checking you into the smackdown hotel.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
You kidding me right? The Z06 and the Hyundai O.P raced are two different cars for 2 different people. The Hyundai shits on the Vette's interior, comfort, feel, options, etc. Honeslty the Hyundai is perfectly priced against the German Luxurys and Japan even then its cheaper.

Hate on it for being a Hyundai but times are changing. Being a "brand" name doesnt mean much nowadays…..

UncleDan

Established Member
You kidding me right? The Z06 and the Hyundai O.P raced are two different cars for 2 different people. The Hyundai shits on the Vette's interior, comfort, feel, options, etc. Honeslty the Hyundai is perfectly priced against the German Luxurys and Japan even then its cheaper.

Hate on it for being a Hyundai but times are changing. Being a "brand" name doesnt mean much nowadays…..

Yeah, I suppose so. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around a 400+ car from Hyundai, since before recently, they've been making little economy cars. Guess anyone can build a rocket ship now a days.

Quickshift_02GT

Established Member
Impressive. I'd love to race one of these cars. It would be interesting to see how well it could hang with me. I really believe that you have to have at least 400hp and run 12's to even begin to be competitive these days. It's tough out there!

What do these things weigh?

Last edited:

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
When Hyundai and Kia did that massive restructuring and started producing nice ass cars people liked they should have dumped both their names at the same time.

There is years of negative views and opinions built up, it's hard to get over the name.

The Genesis is one damn nice car, The name plate kills it.

scubby snack

Established Member
i actually have a lot of respect for what hyundai has done over the past few years. one of the dealerships my paps had was a hyundai dealership so ive been around them and saw what they have been capable of doing. they use the same stereo system that is used in bentleys, and the interior is really something that will rival any of the high end big body cars. another car to not slouch on in a modded for is the genesis coupe 2.0t. in stock form they are detuned like a mofo, but there is a local guy who used to work at the dealership that did intake, bigger intercooler, full exhaust and was working on the tune, last i talked to him he had just put down 330whp and would suprise the hell out of you when the boost hit

Last edited:

magred

Established Member
i actually have a lot of respect for what hyundai has done over the past few years. one of the dealerships my paps had was a hyundai dealership so ive been around them and saw what they have been capable of doing. they use the same stereo system that is used in bentleys, and the interior is really something that will rival any of the high end big body cars. another car to not slouch on in a modded for is the genesis coupe 2.0t. in stock form they are detuned like a mofo, but there is a local guy who used to work at the dealership that did intake, bigger intercooler, full exhaust and was working on the tune, last i talked to him he had just put down 330whp and would suprise the hell out of you when the boost hit

What the hell? Hyundais and Kias are still pos. The only people who sing their praises are the ones who own them. I would rather buy a freaking used Mustang or Corvette any day before a damn Hyundai or Kia. I guess to those who can't afford something better, they can say that it is a nice car so as to make them feel better. Hence why people buy those damn cheap Sonatas and Sportages from Kia. And those buying the Hyundais Tucson and Santa Fe's do so for the same reason.

Just wait till you go to trade that piece of crap in. They depreciate pretty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread