Who would you let build your motor?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I may have to pull the motor out to address an issue, so as the title states. Who would you let build you a motor? Rods, Pistons, and reassemble with degreed cams/stronger hardware.

carguy19

Established Member
Where are you located?

I am always from the school of thought that I want to be able to build a motor locally to where I live. That way I get to know the guy that does it, and I can also drop by to visit the shop before during and after.

Also, to ship a motor is a fortune that I'd rather not pay.

Not everyone is lucky to have a great engine builder local to them though that can do our type of engines.

A few names that I've heard thrown around here that have a good rep are MMR, Bischoff, JDM in NJ.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
L&M

built mine nearly 4 years ago and it's run flawlessly since.

Mike does excellent work, is a straight shooter and had probably forgotten more about ModMotors than most know.

nix5o

Established Member
Earl Schexnayder is right up the road from you and he does great work. He's built every motor that I've had, including mod motors. He'll be doing my next one too :D

TORQJNKY

Last edited:

TORQJNKY

Also, to ship a motor is a fortune that I'd rather not pay.

Cost me $172.00 to ship my shortblock from VA to FL. That should tell you who built mine. The long block will obviously be more because the heads add significant weight. You can save a little weight by removing the blower, lower intake, lower crank pulley and flywheel before you ship. None of that is necessary and can be reinstalled locally once you get your motor back. If you plan on double keying your crank, you will need to send the pulley with it to be double keyed.

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So are you saying your answered your own question in the below thread?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...the-dyno-what-s-the-breaking-point&highlight=

Here are three of the best that I know of (no particular order) in various locations.

* Tim Eichhorn at Mustang Performance Racing Engines (FL)
* Michael Rauscher at L&M Engines (PA)
* Tony Bischoff at BES Racing Engines (IN)

+1

All these guys do great work. Tim Eichorn at MPR did the motor in our Shelby, head work done by Kris Starnes and cams by Bullet which you are already familiar with.

Patrick408

Established Member
I'm sending mine to Michael at L&M for a complete build, to handle the Kenne Bell 4.2L.. Ive heard nothing but good things from him but this will be my first time using him.

JimIII@jdm

We build and offer 5.4L and 5.8L engines here in house and have been building mod motors since the mid 90's, 20+ years in experience. The 5.4L program we have developed over the years with our SVT Lightning Truck customers, GT500's, and Cobra Jet mustangs is just phenomenal. We have one of the best and strongest engine programs with the NHRA Cobra Jet racers, setting new records and running faster ET's with quicker MPH than all of the competition. In classes like Stock Eliminator and Super Stock that the CJ's compete in they have to perform better than the next guy while running the same parts and weighing the same. With limitations on engine specs like bore diameter, compression, cam profile, etc. they have to make power by having a more efficient and better engine build. Having our engines race at this level also requires a ton of build attention as they are constantly being run in extreme conditions.

If anyone has questions about our engines or needs a quote please feel free to contact us at 732-780-0770 or email [email protected]

Thanks!

JimIII

steeltoe

Established Member
I have heard and read really good things about MMR.

Manuel

But there is also a lot of really bad things about MMR out there also. I don't have any personnel experience with them but there is enough reviews on both sides to make me pass on them.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Here is my issue. Car runs great. It's been 10.30 in 100 degree heat, short shifting, and a bad launch (1.82 normally in the 1.5's). The MPH was low on the passes....low 130's. It has had a drivability issue since it was tune ie: surging under 1/2 throttle. I decided to call Lund and get him to do a remote tune. We have been working together the past few days to get her on the right track. I put some ID1000's in and bought some division X rails from lethal. I also put the new JMS plug and play boost a pump in. I did the initial logs for John and he noticed my stft's are about 20% apart at idle. As you increase RPMS they almost mirror each other....just at idle are they all apart. I removed the division X rails and randomly put the injectors back in. Also discovered the vacuum line for my boost gauge had a hole in it which was T'd in line with FPR sensor. Fixed all that and made a log. STFT's are still off by almost 20%.

I checked for other vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks...02's are new. I've heard a few people say cams could be out of time, but the car runs great. idles wonderful...starts great...no popping or anything to suspect the cams are out of time....besides the lack of MPH. I'm thinkin the MPH was down due to vacuum leak at the FRPS.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
But there is also a lot of really bad things about MMR out there also. I don't have any personnel experience with them but there is enough reviews on both sides to make me pass on them.

I hear you, have bought and put to the test their cooling mod for my Boss and the oil pump gears which I also have on the Shelby and no complaints here. But to make a decision like this about building an engine I would read a lot more and document myself. Just gave my input of what I've heard and read in some reviews. There is always bad and good from everybody.

Regards,

Manuel

MattR

Established Member
Livernois, they sure appear to have a great facility and do work for Ford. Who better to build Detroit Muscle than a Detroit shop. I would also only consider a shop that races what they build.

BIRDDOC

Established Member

dustin88lx

Established Member
BES all the way, I must say that every engine I have seen come out of there has been immaculate. Not to mention his experience and multiple master engine builder of the year awards. Some companies just throw parts together based off of the #s that look best on paper, some actually know what that engine needs based of the compression, head flow numbers, stroke, ring gap, vacumn all the important stuff that the average guy knows nothing about. He also the most realistically priced out there and will not attempt to sell you anything u don't that's not a necessity, (so tired of hearing well u better do this or this "could" happen) like many of these companies and builders will.

Users who are viewing this thread