Who wants to help me blueprint a build?

backwoods

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra clean car 104k original miles think I snapped a rod not 100% sure but looking for advice on what I should do to this engine while out moneys not really an issue more so time...but my overall goal is on the road by next February. I plan on boring to a 306 for starters and lastly supercharging...everything from rotating assembly to supercharger and how you would do it.I have moderate expierence with Assembly's but the aftermarket world is distant to me.
ydyvezam.jpg
ebunana9.jpg

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You can't "bore" to a 306. The most you can get by boring is 289ci unless you add 3.7" bore sleeves ($1200) which results in 304ci.

If you're planning on supercharging you should stick with the stock cubes.

backwoods

Established Member
You can't "bore" to a 306. The most you can get by boring is 289ci unless you add 3.7" bore sleeves ($1200) which results in 304ci.

If you're planning on supercharging you should stick with the stock cubes.

Thanks NA I was misinformed... I'm getting a block from a guy on here with stock crank and rods and diamond pistons with 5000 miles on rebuild should I replace rods and crank or not and if so what should I run for a rotating assembly?

backwoods

Established Member
Stock rods should be replaced. The stock crank is an excellent piece and is a keeper.

Alright and do you have a brand and I assume I should run an H beam!?and if I were to swapped pistons is there any you reccommend as well?

Last edited:

backwoods

Established Member
I plan on running a 2.1 Kenne bell...and any certain brand? And what compression ratio piston should I run with it?

backwoods

Established Member
Yea $10,500 for the whole thing with 51,000 miles with everything I would do with the 99 setup would be around that after supercharging and putting a T-56 behind it...idk tho

backwoods

Established Member
Found a full swap all wiring modules engine And trans for 7700 locally with 48k miles all I need is different fuel pump and a heat exchanger

RyanApfel

Established Member
An 03/04 swap is the way I'm gonna go when I need a new motor. I think its a good investment. Those motors will handle a lot of hp stock. Plus I already have the 6speed so I wouldnt have to spend that extra cash.

Last edited:

backwoods

Established Member
Since I no longer work at a dealership and don't have a hoist should I drop the trans take the motor out the top or still drop it right out the bottom k frame and all? Any advice is helpful

01yellercobra

Established Member
An 03/04 swap is the way I'm gonna go when I need a new motor. I think its a good investment. Those motors will handle a lot of hp stock. Plus I already have the 6speed so I wouldnt have to spend that extra cash.

I don't think they're quite the deal anymore. The mileage on the motors being pulled is getting up there. Personally I'd rebuild the stock motor with forged rods and pistons.

Since I no longer work at a dealership and don't have a hoist should I drop the trans take the motor out the top or still drop it right out the bottom k frame and all? Any advice is helpful

I've always pulled the motor from the top. When I had the 3650 I pulled the motor and tranny together.

backwoods

Established Member
Main reason I'm going with the full swap I'll need a block more than likely and my t-45 has some internal chatter motor has 48k on it also when you dropped it out the bottom where you at a shop cause I'm doing this in the driveway.

backwoods

Established Member
I dropped a 5.0 and t-5 out the bottom of my parts car but didn't care about the shell at all I'm thinking of dropping the trans and pulling it out the top ...

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
As long as you don't have long tubes, you can bring the motor and trans up together through the top. That is how I do mine in my garage with a hoist.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I helped a buddy drop in a motor and trans with long tubes. One of those leveling tools would have made it a breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread