Who takes there hood insulator off?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Took mine off recently - it was looking ragged.

39773_1562504184828_1302032879_31573185_6135341_n.jpg

So I took it off.
39513_1562504784843_1302032879_31573187_4361771_n.jpg

Found that little strip of tape, and took that off too, not sure why...
39688_1562505224854_1302032879_31573194_3422998_n.jpg

Oh - and I do feel the liner actually did damage to the hood....

37800_1562505384858_1302032879_31573196_3788374_n.jpg

39787_1562505584863_1302032879_31573198_6748624_n.jpg

Anyways - it is never going back on.

Car is a daily driver for those who care to know - it is driven in all weather situations seen in Texas - which includes heat and rain and a day or two of snow.

Yeah mine has some scuffs like yours, likely from the insulator, glad I took mine off. I do have a brand new one sitting in the basement.

Black Chip

Established Member
Off and painted after the fire.
Looks GREAT! With the hood vents opened up LOTS of heat escapes so I'm not worried about the paint.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
SEM Trim black.

The two pieces of tape are there to cover the date code stickers while the hood is painted.

XDSC01596.jpg

Looks awesome where did you buy this paint or dye. How much was it. Also was it a spray bomb or did u grab the spray gun.

Also has it gotten wet since u painted it? did it restain?

jdgt03

Established Member
I pulled mine off and the paint was a little thin so i cleaned mine and trimmed out around the vents and cut the flaps off the vents and put it back, looks factory and proly helps with heat extraction.

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
Is there a easy way to take it off without damaging it, in case u ever wanna put it back on?

I just used a long pry bar to get the plugs in the middle without F-ing it up. Came off perfectly fine and the blanket is not at all damaged... and neither is the hood...

161-1.gif

cobra=trouble

Established Member
iam takin mine off cause it looks like crap falling down plus ate up for s/c coming off due to lower moto blue are crap went through 3 belts in 300 miles ,mine coming off soon,thanks to no ill effects

SVTDice

Established Member
Mine is off, Granted the underside of the hood is not painted but. It runs cooler. Its actually a Fire blanket by the way. Just incase you have a Engine fire.

Or so I have read.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
What do you mean by the vent flaps? The little plastic tabs on the heat extractor vents? Do they really block that much airflow?

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
What do you mean by the vent flaps? The little plastic tabs on the heat extractor vents? Do they really block that much airflow?

For sure they do... But most importantly they block the beautiful noise coming from the blower... The more you can hear it the more horses it's puttin out right? lol....

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member

Yea I was wondering the same thing. Anyone have a pic of this. Now you guys have me thinking of pulling mine off.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
The piece of masking tape is used to hold a build sheet in place while car goes down the assembly line (with hood up).
I have a picture but can't access it at the moment.

Not sure about the stickers, although it doesn't surprise me to see different ones.
I believe Ford used more than one supplier for the hoods...
I know that they vary in their composite makeup, with some having more metallic content than others. (check some with a magnet and you'll see what I mean)

derockgt

Established Member
I've heard of this, mainly in FL, TX, HI and places hot and humid. To be safe, during the summer/hot months when the engine is really heated up, when I get home and put it back in the garage, I always pop the hood and let it cool down without any heat directly hitting the hood. Don't want to take any chances with mystichrome paint.

i also do this, when i get home pop the hood(really really hot escpially when its 90+ degrees and the humidity makes it feel 105+)

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I believe the primary goal of insulator was to reduce noise levels to pass federal standards.

Foil liner and ground strap also provide EMF suppression for improved AM radio reception with the composite hood.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
ITo be safe, during the summer/hot months when the engine is really heated up, when I get home and put it back in the garage, I always pop the hood and let it cool down without any heat directly hitting the hood. .

Yep, I've been doing that every time for almost 9 years now....removed insulator when I brought it home from dealer. :thumbsup:

Oh wow thanks bud. That looks good as well!

You're Welcome! :beer:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Prolly gonna work on mine this week. What y'all recommend to cut the vent caps with. Maybe an extractor knife?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
The plastic is soft and the hinge cuts easily if you want to remove them.

Some have used velcro to add functionality of holding them open against hood but still able to close at will (carwash, rain)

I cut mine off when car was new

termin8rdsg

Established Member
The piece of masking tape is used to hold a build sheet in place while car goes down the assembly line (with hood up).
I have a picture but can't access it at the moment.

Not sure about the stickers, although it doesn't surprise me to see different ones.
I believe Ford used more than one supplier for the hoods...
I know that they vary in their composite makeup, with some having more metallic content than others. (check some with a magnet and you'll see what I mean)

Is the hood painted under the masking tape? I removed my liner and flaps but I haven't removed the tape yet. I was lucky and the underneath is actually painted.

Users who are viewing this thread