Who might sell their Boss for a 2015

86Fbody

Established Member
I tried to have this conversation/debate on BMO without very much success. I bought the Boss as a track car and as such the only value it is to me is as a track car. After driving it for a while I have realized I could have just bought a GT and made a much more capable track car without paying the premium for the Boss. I figured I would open the floor up to see who else might trade the Boss in, sell it, or pick up a new 2015 or 2016 to see how well it may do on the track. I would prefer if statements could be qualified, no nonsense answers like "Well if you don't get why the Boss is special and should be kept then you don't get it", I assume we are all adults here and can actually support an argument.

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
I tried to have this conversation/debate on BMO without very much success. I bought the Boss as a track car and as such the only value it is to me is as a track car. After driving it for a while I have realized I could have just bought a GT and made a much more capable track car without paying the premium for the Boss. I figured I would open the floor up to see who else might trade the Boss in, sell it, or pick up a new 2015 or 2016 to see how well it may do on the track. I would prefer if statements could be qualified, no nonsense answers like "Well if you don't get why the Boss is special and should be kept then you don't get it", I assume we are all adults here and can actually support an argument.

Which GT are you referring to when you say "I could have just bought a GT and made a much more capable track car"? The 2011-12? In your avatar you have a 2012 Boss so I'm assuming you purchased it in 2011-12. It would have been difficult to option a "track pack" GT at that time and the Recaros were sensationally overpriced at that time. You would also have had a hard time replacing all the forged engine internals.

The Boss is a great platform because it already comes with better cylinder heads and an upgraded valve train....so adding more aggressive cams is a less expensive (you mentioned cost concerns above) endeavor than for a GT. if your driver skill is exceeding your platform, then maybe it's time to consider a CJ intake, cams and headers?

If you're comparing to the 2015 GT, then this seems like a silly question since you weren't in the market for a 2015 model when you bought your 2012 Boss.

86Fbody

Established Member
Which GT are you referring to when you say "I could have just bought a GT and made a much more capable track car"? The 2011-12? In your avatar you have a 2012 Boss so I'm assuming you purchased it in 2011-12. It would have been difficult to option a "track pack" GT at that time and the Recaros were sensationally overpriced at that time. You would also have had a hard time replacing all the forged engine internals.

The Boss is a great platform because it already comes with better cylinder heads and an upgraded valve train....so adding more aggressive cams is a less expensive (you mentioned cost concerns above) endeavor than for a GT. if your driver skill is exceeding your platform, then maybe it's time to consider a CJ intake, cams and headers?

If you're comparing to the 2015 GT, then this seems like a silly question since you weren't in the market for a 2015 model when you bought your 2012 Boss.

Really the reason for the initial post was to ask, if the new mustang is a very capable track car would you buy it and sell/trade or keep the Boss as a DD or weekend car. I referenced my idea that I could have bought a GT (2012 as I bought the car in the spring of 2012) since that is somewhat my idea just now with the new 2015 GT. I would have bought a track pack without the Recaro's as you are right they are way over priced, and IMO for the money not really a great racing seat. For comfort however they are great, but I choose performance over comfort any day. Also I think the power of even a GT is more then enough for a track car, it is the suspension geometry that needs to be fiddled with. I am sure doing the internal work to get a fully forged motor may be time consuming but I doubt it would match the price difference of the Boss.
To put it in perspective, I bought my car 41500 before tax tags etc. A friend of mine got a track pack 2014 without the extra stuff, ie Recaro's and whatever other options you can get, he paid 26000 I will assume also before tax tags etc. So I would say there is about say 12000 difference between us since I would have paid more taxes and what not and would rather low ball. So with 12 grand I am pretty sure he could replace the rotating assembly, buy Boss heads and an intake, get a tune, lighter track wheels and rubber, brake cooling, suspension accoutrements, and probably have still paid less and now have a more capable car.
I love the Boss, don't get me wrong, but for a track car I feel like the GT, with work is just a better option. That being said I am wondering if the new GT will be able to have the same thing said about it.

Last edited:

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
$26000 is a steal....no question about it. Yeah for that price difference you could build a hell of a track car. But your friend bought his mustang near the end of the model's lifetime. You will not get that type of deal on the new mustang for at least 2-3 years.

86Fbody

Established Member
$26000 is a steal....no question about it. Yeah for that price difference you could build a hell of a track car. But your friend bought his mustang near the end of the model's lifetime. You will not get that type of deal on the new mustang for at least 2-3 years.

This is true, and people are trying to get rid of them to make way for the new mustangs. I am also wondering how well the Ecoboost will do and what it will be priced at with what options. So far those motors seem to do very well with simple mods.

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
I'm pessimistic that the quoted 200 lb weight savings will be limited to the Ecoboost model given the lower weight of the 4- vs 8-cylinder motor.

In terms of performance, 3500 lbs is a lot of weight to ask a 4-banger (snail or no snail) to move around. It will probably feel sporty, but I don't think it will feel fast. I wish they would put the 6-cylinder ecoboost motor in it.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I've yet to find anyone who disagrees with my first statement.

It looks like the V6 will keep it's current price point. Based on evidence the turbo 4 will take over the GT price point and the GT will take over the boss price point.

So you'll be paying a premium again for a car that really might not handle that much better. IRS? Great...still has it's list of downsides. So does the live axle. Least with the live axle we know how to fix them. IRS besides the 03-04 cobras is new to the mustang. And do we even need to talk about how absolutely bad IRS was on the cobras?

Wattslink/coilovers and control arms with poly or spherical bushings and you have a hell of a track car with the boss.

With the new IRS? Who knows how good/bad it will be.

Also the 2015, besides anyone wanting to really see it other than, "it looks small in the photos" is really just about as big as our current cars, only 200lbs less which we can drop that weight too if we want, specially on a more dedicated track car.

So far, not counting I think the new car is ugly as sin, I am not impressed with it. I guess we will have to wait for actual track results though before anyone can say anything.

EDIT: Good point above that the weight drop might just be on the 4 banger.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
That may be true about the weight. I also don't count the Cobra IRS against what the new one might do, seeing as the Cobra's was a bolt up and the chassis wasn't originally designed with it in mind. Also it would be nice to have them do the Eco-6 but you know it would compete with the V8 and that is something they can't live with.

Last edited:

nonliberal

Established Member
The 200 lb weight reduction and better heads are the only things that interest me with the 2015. If they aren't really lighter with the V8 in it then It would be much cheaper just to upgrade my heads and call it a day.

86Fbody

Established Member
The 200 lb weight reduction and better heads are the only things that interest me with the 2015. If they aren't really lighter with the V8 in it then It would be much cheaper just to upgrade my heads and call it a day.

I am thinking they will just be Boss heads.

Kevin R

Established Member
Will the red key be offered with the 2015 GT as it is now with the 2014 GT????

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
That may be true about the weight. I also don't count the Cobra IRS against what the new one might do, seeing as the Cobra's was a bolt up and the chassis wasn't originally designed with it in mind. Also it would be nice to have them do the Eco-6 but you know it would compete with the V8 and that is something they can't live with.

Agree that the new IRS should not be compared to the add-on cobra IRS.

The Ecoboost V6 would be a great option for European markets...and, if the Ecoboost 6 is faster than the v8, kudos. Let the market decide which will sell more.

I read a concerning comment about the new McPherson front and IRS rear suspension in some of the hyped up coverage...I don't remember the exact statement from the Ford rep, but something along the lines of the geometry being maxed out at the factory ride height.

Deranged2013

Established Member
I'm selling my Boss for other reasons and even though I like the look of the new model, except for the headlights, I don't think I would sell my Boss just to buy a 2015 GT. I love the current Boss and wish I could keep it. Also the Boss is holding its value pretty well. As soon a you buy the 2015 and drive it off the lot, it will be worth less than 2013 Boss with low miles and maybe even less than a 2012 Boss.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member

I love my 13 Boss and will likely keep it for a while 2-4yrs depending on if the next higher end Mustang looks and performs out of this world. I'd gladly spend $70-90k on a 600hp+ stock vehicle that could do it all. Either the Shelby GT350 or C7Z06 will be my next move unless something crazier comes out before then.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I'm selling my Boss for other reasons and even though I like the look of the new model, except for the headlights, I don't think I would sell my Boss just to buy a 2015 GT. I love the current Boss and wish I could keep it. Also the Boss is holding its value pretty well. As soon a you buy the 2015 and drive it off the lot, it will be worth less than 2013 Boss with low miles and maybe even less than a 2012 Boss.

Yeah our cars SHOULD keep holding value, I'm thinking the 12/13 Boss will be the next 03/04 Cobra as far a value goes. Yeah at the end of the day the next GT will be that a GT... Discounts of $3-5k off MSRP will follow shortly I would say, hell a few months after the C7 came out dealers are advertising thousands off of MSRP already. But I do hope the GT is a rape party as that's only going to drive the higher end models higher in the performance arena :)

Korbin_Dallas

Established Member
There's no way your "friend" got a 2014 GT with a track pack for $26k.

Since your argument on this "fact", this discussion is null and void.

86Fbody

Established Member
There's no way your "friend" got a 2014 GT with a track pack for $26k.

Since your argument on this "fact", this discussion is null and void.

Weird, I thought I said it would be nice to have an adult conversation with supporting evidence, so to be proactive I will see if I can get my proof, which should be easy, and then you prove no one has ever paid that for a 2014 Track Pack.

86Fbody

Established Member
I wonder how much mileage will affect the value though, would be nice to keep the value of the car so that trade in or private sale will net that much more towards a new one. I think this is a pipe dream though since I already have 30k miles on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread