Who is running return fuel?

Jpjr

Established Member
For a sanity check, wondering if any of you have gotten your car to pass emissions with return fuel? I brought mine out to CA from Detroit and am hoping this won't be an issue. From a testing perspective, I would expect it to pass.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
no smog shop should care about a return fuel system.. It's not illegal to change your fuel system either.. I would think that you'll be fine.. I'd be more worried about an aftermarket midpipe.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
good question! so technically, is it legal? if so - that is cool, but very surprising

Black306

Established Member
Technically it is not legal. A smog tech that cares about his job will spot it and not pass the car visually. However, unless the fuel pressure is way off, a return style system will not cause a car to fail an emissions test.

California smog laws are so idiotic and law makers have their heads so far up their ass ...... [breathe] ...... don't get me started.

LBCobra

LONG BEACH TERMI
Established Member
smog consists of two things emissions and inspection. i had a car that passed smog fine but the idiot wouldnt sign it off because it had aftermarket headers a while back

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
no smog shop should care about a return fuel system.. It's not illegal to change your fuel system either.. I would think that you'll be fine.. I'd be more worried about an aftermarket midpipe.

it is illegal to modify your fuel system i.e. fuel rail, inj or regulator. illegal to change cat forward exhaust, have any emmissions system modified, and even a tune.

cbr repsol

Established Member
it is illegal to modify your fuel system i.e. fuel rail, inj or regulator.

Got my cobra smogged today , passed with no issues. I was talking to the tech about return style systems and modifying it. He said it shouldnt be any issue as long as it passes the sniffer test as well as obd2 port plug in.

Jpjr

Established Member
bump - hey guys anyone running return style with all the OBD2 meters running? i think mine will pass the sniffer but am worried about the meters since a lot of the original returnless setup (including FDPM) has been removed. all mechanical components such as mid-pipe and EGR are functioning as stock however.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread