who is running a trans brake with their 6r80

syclone50

Established Member
I posted another thread in the drivetrain section but figured this would get more action here.

This is my first experience with a trans brake and I guess I am looking for someone to tell me what I can and cant do with it, what is normal and what isn't.

I installed a JMS launchmax this week to compliment my new circle d 3b converter. Everything worked great the first couple of tests I did but today this happened.

Knowing the converter pushed past the foot brake around 3000 rpms I wanted to see what it would hold on the trans brake. I engaged it and brought the rpms up around 3000. The car quickly began to build boost (without a 2 step) and just as I was about to release the switch the trans brake gave and the car jumped forward.

The wrench light came on the dash so I turned off the engine and restarted it. the light went away but the trans made a couple of hard clunks each time I engaged it from drive to reverse.

I then tested the trans brake again and it now wouldn't hold the car even at idle. The lights on the launch max were telling me everything was working correctly but it was a no go.

I drove the car a short distance back home (it drove completely normal) and turned it off.

A couple hours later I went out and started it again and everything works great. No clunking no wrench light.....and...the trans brake works as it should.

Did the trans go into limp mode which shut down the launchmax?
On a trans brake what RPM can you rev it to? I am assuming this depends on your converter.
What happens if you push past this magical RPM the converter is designed for?
From what JMS explained their unit puts the trans in 1st and reverse at the same time.
What happens if you stay on the trans brake too long?

Any experience or help would be great.
Thanks

4VFTW

Established Member
yes you put the tranny in limp mode. ideally you want to use a 2-step with the t-brake and dont sit on the brake for more than a couple seconds.

dennisn

Established Member
On the jms what trans wires you hacking into. Curious if it's the same as what just about everyone else is using.

2003mach1

Established Member
Yeah your tuner is gonna have to raise the "infered movement" ( i think thats what its called) value in the trans tuning.

I wired up a brake on mine and it wont hold past 2600 with a 5c. waste of time. hell it'll footbrake 3000 at the track and has been 1.58 60ft.

Grabberblumaico

Established Member
yes you put the tranny in limp mode. ideally you want to use a 2-step with the t-brake and dont sit on the brake for more than a couple seconds.

I press my button after both prestage and staged lights are on. One time, I held mine longer when other guy wasnt staging quickly. Car went into limp mode.I think 3 seconds is most you can hold it for..

Users who are viewing this thread