Who is making 700+ on stock oil pump gears

burke985

Established Member
RPM and power kill the gears only thing is it dont happen that often. Its cheap insurance yes but the Install of them is not cheap if your not mechanically inclined or have the tools to do it

Angry50

Established Member
RPM and power kill the gears only thing is it dont happen that often. Its cheap insurance yes but the Install of them is not cheap if your not mechanically inclined or have the tools to do it

ya I looked at the install for them and would not be comfortable installing my self. but I figure if I am getting a super charger in the future I can have someone put some in for me just before.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
Banging off the rev limiter is probably what caused mine to break....Colder weather traction sucked, broke lose, stab the peddle to power through it and banged the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

[youtube_browser]QupICFWo_ZE[/youtube_browser]

You got to pay to play sometimes, if you can't afford to do it right it's better off just waiting. I've seen it time and time again where someone gets way to deep financially and end up selling off everything because they don't account for the unexpected cost if a failure does happen.

twistedneck

Established Member
Banging off the rev limiter is probably what caused mine to break....Colder weather traction sucked, broke lose, stab the peddle to power through it and banged the 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

[youtube_browser]QupICFWo_ZE[/youtube_browser]

You got to pay to play sometimes, if you can't afford to do it right it's better off just waiting. I've seen it time and time again where someone gets way to deep financially and end up selling off everything because they don't account for the unexpected cost if a failure does happen.

Glad you are fully aware that there are reliability and durability issues that do come up and we can't cry about it - move on to the next level up!

I had mine swapped for the MMR gears.

If I were doing that again, i'd not only swap the oil pump gears but i'd change the main chain sprocket with that billet MMR piece also. those seem to be the next thing after oil pump gears now. also what viscosity oil were you running? thick oil with piston jets are a big no no with stock oil pump gears on 2011-2012. your 13 does not have them however.

by9468840

Established Member
Glad you are fully aware that there are reliability and durability issues that do come up and we can't cry about it - move on to the next level up!

If I were doing that again, i'd not only swap the oil pump gears but i'd change the main chain sprocket with that billet MMR piece also. those seem to be the next thing after oil pump gears now. also what viscosity oil were you running? thick oil with piston jets are a big no no with stock oil pump gears on 2011-2012. your 13 does not have them however.

feels like there is too much paranoia in this thread. I am putting +618rwhp on the road since 2 years with my stock engine. Using high quality 10w40 Motul oil. Everything is holding up pretty well
too thin oil can cause the oil pump gears wear out against each other. Piston cooling jets can handle the oil fine as long as you dont run something crappy. It is all about how you treat and drive your car.
Some people push them beyond 650rwhp and hitting 7500rpm every time. I change my oil every 3000-5000 miles, regularly do mechanical checks, datalog atleast once a month and make sure i never ever hit the rev limiter or abuse the car with on/off WOTs. Some people out there just trash the sh.t out of these beautiful machines.. and blame the stock OPG for their hurt motor after endlessly bouncing it off the rev limiter.

ebrow21

Established Member

My 2/12 built 12 does not have piston oil Jets.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Ran a 73mm 2.3L whipple on a torco tune for over a year and 4k miles on stock opg. Many many drag strip passes running 10.0-10.4. No failure, engine perfect in teardown. I did, however, install an ATI balancer the moment I went to the smaller pulley.

A more focused question would be, "Who has broken stock OPG with an aftermarket balancer?" I believe that answer may be zero.

Edit: I personally know two local coyote owners who had an OPG failure. Stock balancer, 7250+ rpm, 650+ hp.

funny u say this because I personally know a Builder/Fab/Tuner that says the same thing. He recommended to skip the gears if it came down to the available $$$ for the MMR Billet Oil Gears vs ATI Balancer. I decided to go with the MMR Oil Gears to be thrown in my already ordered MMR Street Mod Build because of recommendations like this here thread. But, my friend was recommending the ATI Balancer over the Oil Gears explaining why and finishing with once the ATI is installed, the gears will not fail. He also mentioned, this is a very debatable question. In the end, if you have the $$$ for BOTH, that would be the sure bet! I will eventually install the ATI Balancer later since install is from the outside and the Oil Gears are more of a internal more difficult install while the motor was already out for replacement from failure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread