Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

SVTFastBack

Established Member
You're speculating that the CPU is the main culprit, are you gonna swap the CPU out? I havent tinkered with laptops since 2015, but the CPUs these days could be soldered on. But at that point, swapping CPUs, again, might as well get a rig. Let us know when you finally sack up and build a rig.

Wait you spent $1900 for ONE 1080ti? The 2080ti is around $1300. Even at $1300, the 2080ti isnt worth it yet, they should have come out with hdmi 2.1 on those cards.

I did when they first came out and had them in storage waiting to build, expensive yeah, but money wasn't a factor in this build and they've already paid themselves off. As I said earlier I pulled the the trigger because of the performance they gave when I was doing testing for other people, amazing results and very good SLI performance. Was also when I was working for the DoD and making 6 digit figures, no wife, no kids, I fly solo so I can buy toys.

SVTFastBack

Established Member
build list? If you did and i missed it, link please.

Lately i find this stuff fascinating. It's as bad as modding cars.

It's on page 54, its nothing special, just a lot of stuff and the list is only about half of whats in it. Prices shoot way up for redundancy and its built to be good for at least 4 years and when I was buying everything I did it at once.... in 2 hours but when it came to stuff like the SSD's instead of buying one I got 2 and if I got 2 I got 4 and I have 5 in the case and with mobo's I got 2 of them same instead of one. The GPU's are what really ate $$$ I wasn't planning on going with 2 as one is more then enough but when I was clicking quantity I said hell with it and grabbed 2, I also found out they were going to discontinue this GPU's specific line and out of all the other 1080's I tested and a couple of 2080's I was sold and seized the moment. The 2080's are still going through optimization and I was getting good performance out of them but the work horses right now are still the 1080's lines, I'm also impatient and didn't want to wait for them to really get sorted out I just wanted to plug and go.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I did when they first came out and had them in storage waiting to build, expensive yeah, but money wasn't a factor in this build and they've already paid themselves off. As I said earlier I pulled the the trigger because of the performance they gave when I was doing testing for other people, amazing results and very good SLI performance. Was also when I was working for the DoD and making 6 digit figures, no wife, no kids, I fly solo so I can buy toys.
You sound like a guy named vega who spends bank on his setups. You probably know him if you're into the high end rigs. I think hes on dual RTX titans, just looked it up, 2500 each. Lol

Kiohtee

Established Member
You sound like a guy named vega who spends bank on his setups. You probably know him if you're into the high end rigs. I think hes on dual RTX titans, just looked it up, 2500 each. Lol

Good Lord. You could render real life with those!

Kiohtee

Established Member
Figured I would show off my "battletop" as they're known on Reddit. I get off on cable management and this setup is no different. I think the wires are managed excellently considering there's a wired microphone, two USB 3.0 hubs mounted under the desk, an additional monitor and a Stream Deck.

Yes, I'm currently using the nursery as a man cave since the newest addition hasn't moved in there yet. Lol

Also, I have a video of everything running RGB, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it here from Flickr.

Attachments

• 46044674414_04e22a8edf_z.jpg
    46044674414_04e22a8edf_z.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 180

Kiohtee

Established Member
Can anyone recommend, preferably from experience, a pre-built gaming PC company? I'm looking to go i9-9900K with a RTX 2080 Ti, and at current prices it's actually just as cheap to buy one pre-built. Plus saving on the shipping times and assembly could be nice.

SirShaun

Established Member
I need some PC gaming friends. Anyone playing Black Out or going to take the free trial for a spin?
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial Live Now through Jan. 24 | Charlie INTEL

I want to play more Battle Royale, PUBG included, but the shit is lonely. Down for any major PC release really. Add me, message me, whatever.

Steam ID: SirShaun
Blizzard ID: SirShaun#1996
EA Origin ID: SirShaun01
Discord: SirShaun#9498

Pic for attention.
hmCHgyagHDm9iYOmhrxOACKBgqbXXd_J4kGZL-pV8PiHSEi_pan6RYDKIDSX2anUi9Seeybsjalhj51cV=w2308-h1298-no.jpg

SVTFastBack

Established Member
Can anyone recommend, preferably from experience, a pre-built gaming PC company? I'm looking to go i9-9900K with a RTX 2080 Ti, and at current prices it's actually just as cheap to buy one pre-built. Plus saving on the shipping times and assembly could be nice.
Can-o-Worms, if you're going to bother with higher end equipment you might as well put it together so you know it instead of dealing with 6 months after one shits out and the builder saying its not their fault.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Can-o-Worms, if you're going to bother with higher end equipment you might as well put it together so you know it instead of dealing with 6 months after one shits out and the builder saying its not their fault.

I can usually agree with that, except in this case a 2080 Ti goes for about $1,500 and you can buy a pre-built with one for like $2,500. But still, I agree that building is best. I just don't want to have to revisit this in a month because my CPU is being throttled again.

SVTFastBack

Established Member
Depending on case size and layout you can get away with doubles or triple if overclocking is minimal and is decently ventilated but I don't even touch them anymore unless they are reference / reference+LC or just LC. Standard cooling setups on GPU's are just ways of getting people to buy them at a higher but lower price. But if you're planning on getting one anyways you might want to find someone with a smoke machine and at least try to optimize for it. I was working with a rendering machine last week a friend built utilizing an MSI 2080 and when I showed up I was amazed, 2, 6 inch attic vent hoses duck taped to the front intakes on the case and 2 at the back going out a window due to the unbearable fan noise keeping him up at night while he rendered 4k stuff. Fans are scary because you will either get really good super quiet ones that are not a lie or get bullshitted by marketing and fake reviews so they can make a buck. Referenced is still a safe middle ground and still in price ranges people look for and just tend to run better because sensors don't go batshit crazy trying to put air across the coils then disperse just to recycle all that crap air again when you can just pull air into the housing and push it out the case directly, while muffling.

maverick0817

Established Member
I picked up a EVGA RTX 2080 ti XC for $1150 shipped on black friday and it came with a free power supply. Sold the power supply on ebay for $150, sold my 1080 TI to a friend for $500, so it wasn't a bad deal. The blower cooler references the old style reference cooler.
I have every intention to buy EVGA's AIO cooler, when it is in stock, so I wasn't going to pay extra for a three fan card.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Has the production of GTX 1080 GPUs ceased? I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the 1080 Ti cards are no longer being produced, but I was sticker shocked when looking at run of the mill regular 1080s.

I mean I'm sure I could pick one up used, but like my car parts I like to buy new because you just never know. I have decided on an i9-9900K build but I'm still unsure what GPU I want. The GTX 1070 in my laptop seems to be handling my games just fine and I won't be moving away from 1920x1080 for awhile to come, so I think even a 1070 will still slice it.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Has the production of GTX 1080 GPUs ceased? I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the 1080 Ti cards are no longer being produced, but I was sticker shocked when looking at run of the mill regular 1080s.

I mean I'm sure I could pick one up used, but like my car parts I like to buy new because you just never know. I have decided on an i9-9900K build but I'm still unsure what GPU I want. The GTX 1070 in my laptop seems to be handling my games just fine and I won't be moving away from 1920x1080 for awhile to come, so I think even a 1070 will still slice it.

Production ceased a while back and new stock is depleted by my understanding. Just distributors/vendors/etc selling their stock now.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Production ceased a while back and new stock is depleted by my understanding. Just distributors/vendors/etc selling their stock now.

Well heck. I'm not sure I wanna spring for an RTX anything at this point (really trying to eliminate needless spending as much as possible), so I guess I'll snatch up a 1070 or 1070 Ti. Because again, at 1920x1080, a 1070 can probably handle what I'm throwing at it.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Well heck. I'm not sure I wanna spring for an RTX anything at this point (really trying to eliminate needless spending as much as possible), so I guess I'll snatch up a 1070 or 1070 Ti. Because again, at 1920x1080, a 1070 can probably handle what I'm throwing at it.

All the 10xx would be part of that production I'm pretty sure.

This is looking promising, should give us some better options than RTX.
NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti Benchmark Leaked, 20% Faster Than 1060 - Launching Next Month

Users who are viewing this thread