Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Browsing through this thread, some of you have serious gaming setups. I built my last Windows computer (6 years ago) and decided to go with a Dell 27” 4K AIO this time. I love the space savings and like the AIO a lot. Not a gaming computer and certainly can’t compare to the monster rigs you guys have.

Serious question. What would be the high end gaming rig cost?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

98slowbra

Established Member
I spent $2800 on my gaming rig, and that is just the computer, add in my $1000 34 inch Asus Rog348 4k monitor and a 22 inch 1080p monitor on that system alone. I build mine and they slap it together and I am good. If you want you can spend up to $13k for a gaming system at max on what I have seen. I have total of 3 gaming Tower desktops and 6 Gaming laptops, Apple mac book pro, a regular dell my wife uses, and 4 apple tablets at my house.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Browsing through this thread, some of you have serious gaming setups. I built my last Windows computer (6 years ago) and decided to go with a Dell 27” 4K AIO this time. I love the space savings and like the AIO a lot. Not a gaming computer and certainly can’t compare to the monster rigs you guys have.

You really have to narrow down when you ask for a cost. It can essentially cost as much as you want to spend. Realistic gaming rigs are 500-1500 typically.

SVTFastBack

Established Member

That isn't something you can really put a price on, could be 2k or 30+ like Linus did with 7 gamer's one PC and if you do heavy research on what you're after and not just saying take my money realistically you could do Ultra+ probably just shy of 2kish starting. Too many people are afraid to OC and actually get into idea that you won't just straight melt parts by over volting and stuff, they shut down and have redundancy so it doesn't happen and end up buying expensive processors or w/e because of the stock out of box performance when you can buy a much cheaper part and get well over the performance of stock stuff with very little changes, that's where the price tanks and becomes more available option for the budget building.

Kiohtee

Established Member
All the 10xx would be part of that production I'm pretty sure.

This is looking promising, should give us some better options than RTX.
NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti Benchmark Leaked, 20% Faster Than 1060 - Launching Next Month

Fortunately there are still plenty of GTX 1070 and 1070 Ti GPUs on the market for a fair price. Presumably because nobody wants them but me, but still. Lol

A true high end gaming rig will cost $3,500 or more. That's using today's best parts despite their performance per dollar value, only buying new and not including any peripherals or software. A build like that would be wasted with a 1920x1080 display though. Having said that, if one doesn't require the utmost maximum settings in modern AAA titles, which at a point stops returning anything noticeable for the impact it makes to your resources anyway, you can comfortably get away with a $1K-$1,500 build.

Exhibit A - An i5 based GTX 1060 6GB build. Handled most everything I did at medium to high settings at 60FPS. $1,000 with everything seen.
31901353117_0ce9cbd5ab_z.jpg

Exhibit B - An i7-7700K based GTX 1070 build. Handled everything at high/ultra settings at 80+ FPS. Over $2,200 in just the tower and components inside, mainly because I stuck strictly with Corsair (everything but CPU and motherboard were Corsair). Could be had for $1,700 or so if you diversify brands.
32967146438_9587dda733_z.jpg

Exhibit C - current - i7 based GTX 1070 Alienware laptop. Handles everything at high/ultra with its 1920x1080 60Hz G-SYNC monitor. $2,100, because Alienware gaming laptop. Honestly though, it's not a bad dollar per performance value because you'd be hard pressed to build an i7 GTX 1070 desktop with monitor, keyboard and mouse anyway.
\
39877638573_4aea1ee2a8_q.jpg

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I use 3 24" monitors at work, and for me the home solution is (1) 34" or bigger (up to 43") monitor. Just waiting for those 4k @ 120hz then im pulling the trigger. My 1080ti needs to eat!!!

Zemedici

Established Member
That isn't something you can really put a price on, could be 2k or 30+ like Linus did with 7 gamer's one PC and if you do heavy research on what you're after and not just saying take my money realistically you could do Ultra+ probably just shy of 2kish starting. Too many people are afraid to OC and actually get into idea that you won't just straight melt parts by over volting and stuff, they shut down and have redundancy so it doesn't happen and end up buying expensive processors or w/e because of the stock out of box performance when you can buy a much cheaper part and get well over the performance of stock stuff with very little changes, that's where the price tanks and becomes more available option for the budget building.

There was a gaming setup on reddit that was over $110,000.

Lemme find a picture.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I was about to say how a $100K setup is impossible unless you're including everything in that room, but the PCPP list confirms that's exactly what he's doing. Lol

SVTFastBack

Established Member
I was about to say how a $100K setup is impossible unless you're including everything in that room, but the PCPP list confirms that's exactly what he's doing. Lol
There are builds out there that cost even more then this one. The last time I saw a stupid expensive one in a mag a few years back and its in Japan that was closer to 200k-250k from a tech mogul that literally designed everything for it and manufactured him self and its all one off. He designed a motherboard to run like 15+ processors and a shit ton of PCIe's and the GPU's were also designed by him and I remember reading on the front which is what got me curious is that the amount of power it takes to run the system could power a mid sized house.

Zemedici

Established Member
There are builds out there that cost even more then this one. The last time I saw a stupid expensive one in a mag a few years back and its in Japan that was closer to 200k-250k from a tech mogul that literally designed everything for it and manufactured him self and its all one off. He designed a motherboard to run like 15+ processors and a shit ton of PCIe's and the GPU's were also designed by him and I remember reading on the front which is what got me curious is that the amount of power it takes to run the system could power a mid sized house.

LINK?!?!?!!?!

cant tease us like that! hahahahaha

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now THAT one is a serious "game cave". Wow! What I was asking about total cost, I was more thinking what an average gamer might spend, as I know it's like doing a car build. Much depends on your budget and goals, but there's usually a middle ground where many settle based on that budget. A lot of nice rigs illustrated in this thread.

Kiohtee

Established Member

No doubt a configuration can cost whatever one wants to spend, but it won't be a gaming PC. Nor will it be useful for anything consumer based.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Now THAT one is a serious "game cave". Wow! What I was asking about total cost, I was more thinking what an average gamer might spend, as I know it's like doing a car build. Much depends on your budget and goals, but there's usually a middle ground where many settle based on that budget. A lot of nice rigs illustrated in this thread.

$1500 is about the high end of most "average" gaming builds that I've seen. Obviously some go way higher, but you can get an incredible amount of value for much less nowadays too. 5-800 is a very common range, but those typically don't include peripherals.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Yep, 85k of that build is in the sound system.

Which is fine if that's your thing/you're an audiophile, but for the love of God, please don't claim that it is part of your build. I'm pretty sure that's a man cave build because that PC would function just fine without any of that other stuff. Lol

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Yep, 85k of that build is in the sound system.
Accurate sound equipment is far from cheap. I deal with pro sound engineering on a daily basis in regard to a control room. Everything has to be perfect, otherwise you will produce garbage.

I have the ability to mix everything from mono to 7.1 recordings. Details matter, even in a mono track.

I'm not sure the casual listener hears most of the details music and sound effects offer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would't even know where to look.. it was on the front of a Japanese magazine lol only thing I understood were the pictures.

I am gonna call BS on this. if it were truly a PC rig there would be references to it in the english press. and you said you read all this in one place and then here said you only understood the pictures.

so far the most expensive rig I have been able to find anything about where they talk about JUST the rig was about 40K

I built my rig a few years ago and spent just about 3 grand on it. nice machine does what I want with room to expand. at that time had I used all front line parts I could have easily spent another grand. it will probably be my last build unless I win the lottery or come into an inheritance from that rich uncle that I haven't met yet

Users who are viewing this thread