Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

Intervention302

Established Member
What did you have to RMA it for?
It had an audible, albeit tolerable level of coil whine. My case is pretty quiet so it easily stood out

But evga is awesome and let me do a cross ship totally free RMA to try a new card.

New card wasn't any better and had lower stable OC so I'm keeping the first

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
It had an audible, albeit tolerable level of coil whine. My case is pretty quiet so it easily stood out

But evga is awesome and let me do a cross ship totally free RMA to try a new card.

New card wasn't any better and had lower stable OC so I'm keeping the first
ex-blc-1843.jpg

Problem SOLVED :pepper:

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
These some very nice builds !
it was thinking about putting a good rig together since im getting a bit back into pc gaming, have just been using xbox one and ps4 recently.

how would this setup sound to you guys ? anything that you would do differently for the price ?

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz (4,4GHz turbo), LGA1150 Quad-Core, 8MB cache
16GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2133MHz (2x8GB) CL11 Memory
I-Chill GTX 980 X4 Air Boss Ultra 4GB Graphics card
Gigabyte Z97X-UD7H Motherboard
Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB SSD
WD Black 1TB HD
Corsair AX860 860W power supply
An 860 is excessive overkill if you never intend on running multiple cards.

Intervention302

Established Member
ex-blc-1843.jpg

Problem SOLVED
These cards really aren't thermally limited though. Max out at 65-70c even with fans on very low.

I'm not sure they would perform any better on water

Now, if you had modded drivers that allowed a higher power draw, then sure

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
These cards really aren't thermally limited though. Max out at 65-70c even with fans on very low.

I'm not sure they would perform any better on water

Now, if you had modded drivers that allowed a higher power draw, then sure
It'll fix the coil whine though, lol.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I'm considering going with a custom loop and selling my h110.

I like the alphacool 360*45mm radiator. Just need to decide on pump and Resovoir
I have an EK D5 Vario/Bay-Resevoir combo (limited space). Couldn't be happier with it. Alphacool 240x35 and 240x60 rads. Single loop. If you don't like noise, stay away from DDC style pumps.

Intervention302

Established Member
I have an EK D5 Vario/Resevoir combo (limited space). Couldn't be happier with it. Alphacool 240x35 and 240x60 rads. Single loop. If you don't like noise, stay away from DDC style pumps.
I need to look that model up. I'm just starting research. I prefer silence.

Pump combo is very enticing

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
That's what you have?

I'm very interested.

That with an alpha cool 360*45mm rad with 3x noctua. All the compression fittings

If I ever water my 970 I could add a 2nd rad in the front or bottom
Yup, its what i have, but mine is manual variable speed (vario) D5. That one has a PWM (fan header controlled) D5, little bit more expensive. Don't see the vario included one anymore. I just prefer the vario because you can set it and forget it. Mine runs on setting 5 (full speed) always. I would get aggravated with the PWM trying to set up a custom curve and always being concerned with temps and speed. The white block u see attached to my loop is just a PrimoChill flow indicator. If my OCD kicks in while playing a game, i can just glance over and confirm that i have flow. If u have room in the case, u could also do a cylinder res/pump combo instead.

I wouldn't go this route unless you were certain you'd block the gpu's later. Otherwise, it's beyond overkill. It can get pricey after fittings and other misc items. Cost me around $900 out the door for my full loop.

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
Yup, its what i have, but mine is manual variable speed (vario) D5. That one has a PWM (fan header controlled) D5, little bit more expensive. Don't see the vario included one anymore. I just prefer the vario because you can set it and forget it. Mine runs on setting 5 (full speed) always. I would get aggravated with the PWM trying to set up a custom curve and always being concerned with temps and speed. The white block u see attached to my loop is just a PrimoChill flow indicator. If my OCD kicks in while playing a game, i can just glance over and confirm that i have flow. If u have room in the case, u could also do a cylinder res/pump combo instead.

I wouldn't go this route unless you were certain you'd block the gpu's later. Otherwise, it's beyond overkill. It can get pricey after fittings and other misc items. Cost me around $900 out the door for my full loop.
I'm not looking at spend that much

I'd like the idea of a bay mount. But would prefer to keep the bay cover in, for a cleaner look

I have room for a cylinder setup

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Here it is, ran the benchmark just now:

3DMark_Proto_zps8573dd3e.jpg

Max of 40*C on both @ 98% utilization on both, 344.65 WHQL driver

Just realized that since i updated the graphics driver, my OC profiles were inactive. Above is on the stock core clock (980mhz). Below is my 1150/1250+turbo OC profile. Performance score is up slightly, but the big difference is in the fps boost.

OC1_zpsaa505bc8.jpg

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
Just realized that since i updated the graphics driver, my OC profiles were inactive. Above is on the stock core clock (980mhz). Below is my 1150/1250+turbo OC profile. Performance score is up slightly, but the big difference is in the fps boost.

Crazy how close the 780ti and 970's are

FCEFED

Established Member
NZXT PHANTOM CASE
CORSAIR RM 1000
ASUS Z97 PRO WIFI
I7 4770K
16MB RAM
GEFORCE GTX 770's SLI
CORSAIR H100I
NZXT SENTRY 3
ASUS MX279
ACER 27'

Stinky3377

Established Member
This thread gave me the itch...

What do you guys think about the new R9 285 cards? I like the size for my mid-tower case and the lower power demands. I think these are the answer to the GTX 750 Ti but with a little more performance and fits between the 280 and 280x cards but a bit cheaper. I game at 1080.

I was looking at this one in particular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131595

My spec are here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...aming-rigs&p=14526689&viewfull=1#post14526689

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
This thread gave me the itch...

What do you guys think about the new R9 285 cards? I like the size for my mid-tower case and the lower power demands. I think these are the answer to the GTX 750 Ti but with a little more performance and fits between the 280 and 280x cards but a bit cheaper. I game at 1080.

I was looking at this one in particular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131595

My spec are here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...aming-rigs&p=14526689&viewfull=1#post14526689
If you can afford it...

970 all day. Every day

Users who are viewing this thread