Who here has rattling noises in the interior?

LaFlavor

Established Member
I know I did for the longest time. The two biggest problem areas were the center dash, right around those two middle vents, and the head-liner, also right in the middle. It's a 'vert with FLSFC's, but the noise was getting to be intolerable. The fit between the parts is so loose that the hard plastic pieces were tapping each other over any road surface.

I'm probably the last person on earth to figure this out, but $2.43 worth of weather stripping fixed it entirely. Just slipped several short strips behind the plastic head liner. Then I pulled the center piece around the stereo off, and put a few strips where it meets with the rest of the dash, and viola no more rattle-trap.

Again, I'm probably the last person on earth to figure this out, and I'm sure most of you are laughing at me for putting up with this for so long, but it made such a huge difference. I'm excited. Just one more thing to add to the list of mods: pulley, intake, shifter, sub-frames, weather stripping.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad you got the rattles fixed, but you have to accept the fact that rattles are inevitable with any Mustang, especially prior to the 2005.

LaFlavor

Established Member
Glad you got the rattles fixed, but you have to accept the fact that rattles are inevitable with any Mustang, especially prior to the 2005.

I'm sure some more will spring up eventually, and I can get it to rattle briefly if I go over a particularly rough surface, but right now I'm going to enjoy the silence.

Silver95

Established Member
I sat in a 02 GT last night with about 50K miles on the clock and was quite surprised as to how loose the plastic trim pieces felt. Especially the ones around the door handles and the power window switches. :shrug:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
any tips on how to get this center piece around the console off...it's held on by a few tabs?

Invictus

Banned
any tips on how to get this center piece around the console off...it's held on by a few tabs?

Take the shifter bezel off first by unscrewing the shift knob and pulling up on the plastic peice around the boot. Then it should be pretty easy to pop off the center shroud fromt he bottom. The AC vents and all come out with it.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
AC vent fix = Remove two vents and use a soldering iron to melt the loose plastic clips to the vent by melting the sides to it.
Center console rattles = Remove the trim pieces and go to town with double sided tape. This resolved almost all my rattles that were driving me nuts. This may not be the right answer, but it did work.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Anyone have problems with the headliner in a hard top? I have something rattling bad in the headliner but I cant seam to get the headliner off. It has like foam stuck to it and to the roof. I want to take it out but I do not want to mess it up. Any tips?

postalbunny

Established Member
I also tracked down my only rattle to the winshield-roof-portion of the car. I was planning on getting some foam behind it, weatherstripping would probably be easy to shove in there.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
my door panel rattles and drives me INSANE!..I've just been putting of pulling it and throwing something in there to remedy the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread