Who has the most exspensive Car on this forum?

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Welp, problem solved...

As far as the displacement on the M8B; no clue. I know they were fuel injected BBC's. If I recall correctly they were over 500 CID but don't quote me.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
This post was linked to clubcobra to help identify/verify the claims that the Shelby Cobra and the GT40 are originals. Well, I'm afraid they are not. A well respected restorer/builder from AZ chimed in and said he the GT40 and it's a replica. Mind you, they are very nice cars and top end. An ERA Cobra goes for $70-80K and an ERA GT40 can go as high as $125K. The ERA GT40 is very close to an original. They make a SSTL mono chassis, which is almost dead nuts to an original. The big difference is in the spider section (roof). Originals were made from steel and the spider welded to the steel mono chassis. All replicas, except for Superformance, Safir, and GOX Goran in The Netherlands, have the spider made in fiberglass.

I believe you made an honest mistake and were mislead by your dad. It's happened before...some people try to pass off a replica as an original. However, these cars have been researched to the Nth degree over the past two decades. And all the cars have been accounted for, including the fakes that were claimed to be originals.

Happy Fathers Day everyone
GT40 Bill

PS - my GT40 M1 is a replica with an aluminum mono chassis ;-)

Well, some of the low post numbers on this thread already know this, but the terms "real", "original", "fake", and "replica" draw some very sharp daggers in certain circles, especially when you add the name Shelby.

As posted by GT40Bill, I think everyone should give 98 Saleen a break since it is obvious he has stepped into a buzz saw. (The Spanish Inquisition can resume at a later date) No one who knows anything about these cars would state a lie knowingly on an internet forum with so many experts around.

That's my opinion. :coolman:

E

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Here is my "fake" GT40 M1 in Gulf configuration

DSCN1432.JPG

DSCN1433.JPG

DSCN1434.JPG

exhaust_002.jpg

Cheers

Bill, that car is off the hook! If you have a pic outdoors that I could use for a desktop (1680x1050) I would love to have it.

"fake"......come on now:rollseyes

That is a bad @ss ride! Love the valve covers.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
wow sorry guys, I had no idea as I have stated above and I am very very sorry for the confusion on my part and I also apologize for my dads part as well. I did seriously think that it was real but it's ok still a nice car. You guys were right and I was clearly wrong. Once again I'm sorry and thanks for clearing it up.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
wow sorry guys, I had no idea as I have stated above and I am very very sorry for the confusion on my part and I also apologize for my dads part as well. I did seriously think that it was real but it's ok still a nice car. You guys were right and I was clearly wrong. Once again I'm sorry and thanks for clearing it up.

Nicely done.:beer:

And is it possible that your dad isn't very car savy and didn't do the research before he bought it. Someone may have convinced him it was an original?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm not sure of what my dad did with the car, as I stated I was serving in Guam at the time. I would also like to apoligze for my ignorant statement of "superperformance garbage" that was a bad term for me to use and I apologize profusley if I offended anyone.

GT40Bill

Established Member
98 Saleen
No problem. As I said, you were mislead and we can now move on. Your dad's cars are very, very nice. Just because they're replicas doesn't make them not worthy of having.

Cheers
GT40 Bill

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
i have nothing against GT40 replicas. my fav GT40 replicas are the Superformance replicas with the Roush engines. they had a black with silver stripes mark II replica at the Barrett-Jackson in 2007. it had a 550 HP aluminum 427 Roush engine in it with velocity stacks and it was a one off special edition Jack Roush version. it sold for 165K. this year they had the new Shelby endorsed version and it sold for $180k. both of these cars were the hottest replicas i have ever seen. imo they looked cooler than my Ford GT :bowdown:

the Ford GT/GT40 is the only car that i would have two of. that bein the case if i was to add another GT to my collection believe it or not i would not get another GT but i would get a Superformance GT40 like either of the two i mentioned here. the Superformance GT40 with an aluminum BIG block weighs like 1000 lbs lighter than a Ford GT. i bet the cornering ability of that car is just awesome :coolman:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread