Who has quit smoking?

MoneyPit

Busted windshield mod
Established Member
Cigarettes, (not tree for some of you out there) :lol:

Wondering who's been able to quit and what method was used. I'm starting to realize that with all the money I've wasted over the past several years on marlboros, I would have had a new KB for the truck or a built motor for the notchback by now. Not to mention the health benefits too. :bash: :cuss:

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
Cut down your usage by 5 cigarettes per day every 5 days. After 5 days of 5-a-day stop.Cut it down to lower than 5 if necessary and keep your mouth busy with sugar free gum if it helps. Good luck. It can be done but you have to be determined to succeed.:beer:

SlammedSVT

Who's ya Daddy?
Established Member
I use to smoke and all the sudden one day it started tasting nasty to me and making me sick. Best way to stop is go to auto zone and find the nastiest liquid air freshener you can. Should smell like really stong old men spray. Dip your cigs in it and start smokening them. After the first it will be nasty as hell, after the whole pack you wont want another. I always kept a couple of that kind around. If I get in the mood, just smoke one of the nastys and you wont want another for about another 2 months. I havent smoked in 3 months and almost get sick thinking about it sometimes. True Story.

Aaron

4.6speed

Established Member
Cold turkey is the only way to go. One day about 6 years ago I just decided not to buy them anymore and never smoked since, but I have alot of will power when it comes to stuff like this.

IndiaHatCobra

Established Member
About 5 years ago I was driving to work early, smoking and not liking the way I was feeling, so I just tossed my pack out the window. Unfortunatley for me, I found something to substatute very shortly, Dip. Ive dipped ever since, until 3 months ago, when I quit that too. The mental part of constantly bringing your hand to your face was the worst, I just pick my nose alot.

2slow50

Banned
Last July I (2005) ran out of smokes ay about 11:30 pm didn't feel like going to the store to buy a pack and I said I'm quitting! Woke up in the morning went to grab a smoke and I didn't have any and then I remembered that I was done.. Been over a year and sometimes I miss it not the nicotine but I really enjoyed smoking.. Usually over the winter I get a real bad cough not anymore.. Good luck!!

jleews6

Established Member
When your ready to quit you can quit. I used to smoke 2 1/2 to 3 packs of Marlboro's a day and I tried to quit every other week. Then when my son was born I said That I was going to quit for good.
That day I crushed my last pack of cigarets and never looked back. it was the smartest thing I have ever done.It wasnt even that hard.
Every other time I would quit it would kill me and by the end of the day I would be smoking again but that one time it was like I shut off the switch and I had been smoking for 15 years.:shrug:

MoneyPit

Busted windshield mod
Established Member
Got some interesting methods here... thanks guys. The chewing gum thing doesn't work, cause I just chew gum and smoke at the same time :lol:
I tried Zyban a few years ago but I think I had some kind of reaction to it, cause I had trouble sleeping while I was on it.

Well, guess there's no way around it... gonna have to kick myself in the azz and go cold turkey. I might have to quit drinking for awhile too, because once I've had a few :beer: I wanna smoke even more.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I haven't smoked in about a week now. I'm just f'ing broke. I think I'm down to $13 in my checking account until Monday. It does feel good not waking up with a shitty taste in your mouth or congestion like crazy. The hard part is the next time I go out drinking. I'm just gonna have to think about something else.

KDog

Established Member
I quit totally a little over a year ago. After smoking almost 1 pack/day for a long time, I got down to one or two a month ("bummed" from others). I continued that for a while, then just stopped one day and made a conscious effort to not do it anymore. It's a day by day thing. Avoid the temptation, occupy your time with something else. Pretty soon, you won't even miss it.

Patisi

Established Member
Smoked for 33 plus years . Saw my kids growing up and saw my father in-law die from smoking related ailments and quit cold turkey. Was not easy but did quit. Good luck.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
20 years...a pack a day, Marlboro Reds. Yestreday was actually 4 months no smokes and I couldn't be happier. Used the patches to quit...it was really no big deal.

cobra29svt

Established Member
2slow50 said:
Last July I (2005) ran out of smokes ay about 11:30 pm didn't feel like going to the store to buy a pack and I said I'm quitting! Woke up in the morning went to grab a smoke and I didn't have any and then I remembered that I was done.. Been over a year and sometimes I miss it not the nicotine but I really enjoyed smoking.. Usually over the winter I get a real bad cough not anymore.. Good luck!!

i did almost the exact same thing. i was just to lazy to go buy another pack so i quit cold turkey. it wasnt as hard as i imagined ( almost 2 packs a day). i was amazed how much better good food tastes and how much worse fast food tastes. my sence of smell seemed like it doubled and 2nd hand smoke smelt horrible. i quit for about 2 years but started smoking again about a year ago. :bash: im alot more considerate around non-smokers now.

01_OXFORD_SVT

10th Anni FTMFW
Established Member
Ive been smoke free for almost 3 months after a seven year addiction. I stopped because I applied for the police dept. I was smoking a pack a day at best right before I quit. I could feel the shortness of breath when doing steps or running so I decided it was about time to stop. I just sat down and watched the discovery channel with the specials about smoking and what it can do and I cut back.

What I started doing was hitting the smoke about 3 to 4 times and chunking it out the window. Also I would smoke the same one cigarette throughout the day just taking a few hits at a time.. Just keep doing this less and less until you get comfortable with it.. One day I woke up and made it my goal that I would smoke none that day and I havent since.. I feel so good man.. I can run my ass off, I dont cough, I dont smell and I feel like a totally different person..

Yes I still have my cravings but its all mental and you have to tell yourself that. And yes people still smoke around me but it doesnt make me do it.. Just think of all the effort and will power you put into it and you wont waste it. And yes I do drink on occasion but I do not smoke though my friends do.. Trust me its hard but if I can do it you can.. The sooner the better.

Like it was said above, OCCUPY EVERY MINUTE OF YOUR NON SMOKING TIME!!!!!! This is essential, cause when I get bored just sitting around I think how good a smoke would be.. So go poke at your car or something like I do.

Last edited:

tvguy

MoneyPit said:
Got some interesting methods here... thanks guys. The chewing gum thing doesn't work, cause I just chew gum and smoke at the same time :lol:
I tried Zyban a few years ago but I think I had some kind of reaction to it, cause I had trouble sleeping while I was on it.

Well, guess there's no way around it... gonna have to kick myself in the azz and go cold turkey. I might have to quit drinking for awhile too, because once I've had a few :beer: I wanna smoke even more.

Zyban messes with your sleep. That's a common reaction. Also, if you're on it long enough, or can sleep right at the beginning, you'll have some really funky dreams. It's a common side affect, so if that's all that made you stop, maybe you should try again. Uh, NO beer is my suggestion. It gives you cravings 1000 X's more for a cig, especially if people around you are smoking and you smell it. I've seen people quit for a long time and they ended up breaking down after a few beers on some random night out. Good luck.
pacotaco

Users who are viewing this thread