Who has "dynamatted" their cobra?

Intervention302

Established Member
Traditional dynamat material is not really for killing noise, it's for killing vibration. For noise, you need the thicker foam stuff. I did my entire 89 coupe with dynamat extreme, and it was still very loud.

Thats what i'm reading...

Looks like a small layer of CCF to absorb the sound and rattles and then a thick, heavy MLV (mass loaded vinyl) on top of that

Read most of that here

Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
I used and a few of my friends also used 'peel n seal' from lowes, thing a roll is like $25 used 5 roils and double layered and I have nothing bad to say

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
Decided to bite the bullet and order a sizeable amount of stuff from Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown

He sent me a sample comparing his product to RattleTrap (Fatmat) and a few others. His stuff is worth the money I believe

Will be trying to install in a few weeks.

The way I looked at it, I only have 3 options for my car. On the highway, exhaust and gear whine made it just too loud. I'm a young guy and love a loud car, but it was too much.

1. Change exhaust - Uhhh, no. ITs perfect
2. Remove Solid diff bushings - Ummmm, again no. Already blew a stock cover in half with a brace
3. Attempt to install sound deadening

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I would avoid using dynamat on the car. Over time it can trap moisture rotting out floor boards and the bottom of the trunk which is the first places water will seek out to hide. It heavy by design to dampen noise. I scraped out about 10 lbs of the stuff the factory put in.

The stuff they use from the factory is different. It actually hardens and will separate from the metal which will allow moisture in. These materials stay soft and adhere to the metal. It would be pretty much impossible for moisture to develop in between unless you had a void.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Back from the dead!

So I still have a roll of fat mat. I'm debating on doing under rear seat and maybe trunk. I do have ftbr diff bushings which are kind of noisy. Is it worth my time and effort to install some?

redrocket16

Established Member
Back from the dead!

So I still have a roll of fat mat. I'm debating on doing under rear seat and maybe trunk. I do have ftbr diff bushings which are kind of noisy. Is it worth my time and effort to install some?

If you have it, go for it. I would say start in the trunk floor as it has the least amount of noise reduction and then go for under the back seats.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have it, go for it. I would say start in the trunk floor as it has the least amount of noise reduction and then go for under the back seats.

That was my thinking too. Does noise really travel from the trunk area to the front seat?

redrocket16

Established Member
That was my thinking too. Does noise really travel from the trunk area to the front seat?

That is what I have experienced but I have done the entire car at the same time. I feel like the seat itsself takes some of the drone out. I'm not sure how much of a roll you have but it could go a decent ways if you do under the rear seat, on top the inner fenders a bit and part of the back portion of the trunk behind the spare tire well.

If you also wanted you could use it more of a vibration reducer in less amounts over a bigger square footage. Not necessarily side by side but panels spread out over a few areas to reduce vibrations a bit.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That is what I have experienced but I have done the entire car at the same time. I feel like the seat itsself takes some of the drone out. I'm not sure how much of a roll you have but it could go a decent ways if you do under the rear seat, on top the inner fenders a bit and part of the back portion of the trunk behind the spare tire well.

If you also wanted you could use it more of a vibration reducer in less amounts over a bigger square footage. Not necessarily side by side but panels spread out over a few areas to reduce vibrations a bit.

I have 50sq feet of fat mat's rattle trap. I bought it from a friend that was moving for 20 bucks!

Users who are viewing this thread