Who has done a 9" Swap

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Who has done a 9" Swap

Easy swap I got mine from Strange, the upper control arm, pan hard bar relocation bracket from BMR and dyno tech driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dale.baker

Established Member
I got mine from Moser. No big deal about 4 hours of work. If you need an aluminum driveshaft made for this swap I have one with a few hundred miles on it made by Dynotech due to installing a Tremec Magnum Transmission.

Softballer77

Established Member
Was wanting to keep as many of the components I have now still intact (BMR suspension, OEM CF driveshaft, etc)

My focus on this post was to see how much I can retain and go 9", in comparison to doing what I can with the 8.8 and not having to rebuy other parts.

Jenkins, was all your BMR components swapped between 8.8 and 9" Or did you have to order ones specifically for the new 9?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I used the currie 9 inch and kept stock brakes, UPR upper and lower control arms and BMR relocation brackets. I went with the Eaton Detroit Truetrac. Working well so far on the street. No strip action. Is quiet and I do not notice any unusual noise corning. There are certain highway speeds under light loads were it will howl some with my 3.25 gears. Luckily, 61 and 75 mph are quiet, so am happy.

DSCN1214%20Small%202_zpsno2dp7bc.jpg

DSCN1207%20Small_zpsl8gy6fvk.jpg

DSCN1195%20Small_zpsceoavdmk.jpg

Softballer77

Established Member
Thanks for the pics weatherman! Good to know you were able to retain all of that. Did currie mention anything about retaining the CF driveshaft, or rather an option on that differential to be able to retain it?

I just paid $1100 for a factory replacement. I'd rather not buy another one!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Thanks for the pics weatherman! Good to know you were able to retain all of that. Did currie mention anything about retaining the CF driveshaft, or rather an option on that differential to be able to retain it?

I just paid $1100 for a factory replacement. I'd rather not buy another one!

The DS had to be modified for length. I had already modified my DSS shaft when I swapped the TR-6060 in. Decided with power goals I had in mind with my upcoming 3.4 whipple swap to go with a steel DS. The 4x4 shop I had put together the 9 inch had a local company put that together. Was around $800, if I remember right.

Beercules

Established Member
I got mine from currie, if you want a true trac, spend a couple extra dollars and go to an s trac... stronger/more side gears/better metal.

You must get a longer drive shaft as the Pinon gear is lower. I was able to keep most of my bmr parts, just needed the bent end on the uca and the Panhard relocation or it touched a shock.

It's silent to the point I can hear transmission noise now.

The options are endless with a 9".

I didn't realize how heavy the center section is... it'll take a jack to get that thing out to change gears of I feel like it.

It was a pretty easy job.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
1717fdbd1746fd578be396966d4d8c8a.jpg

Strange makes the same one that's in the cobra jet. Gear options are limitless. I went with a 3.89 at first but now that I'm at a higher power level I might drop it or go with a 29" slick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread