Who decides what the infamous ADM will be?

Route66

Established Member
My dealer said the car will be priced at MSRP + what the ADM is. Where does that number come from??? Couldn't the dealer just say, "well, today the ADM is $22,000."? :shrug:

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
We do.

Or more accurately the person who would pay it .. that's why you see so many on ebay right now, an auction approach maximizes the process.

So the dealer decides if they want to take advantage of supply/demand/hype and make the extra bucks, then decide how to generate the markup, ebay, list of interested buyers that call or come in etc. The fewer people who do this the lower & sooner the ADM will go away.

D.

Route66

Established Member
I understand it's the customer. My questions is though, where do they come up with the $$$ amount? Do the dealership pulls up ebay and say here's what other are paying. Write us the check!!!

chuckstang

Established Member
Probably some of it is gathered from these ebay auctions and I think they start off somewhere really high and as long as people say ok and give a deposit, they wont lower it any.
I dont even worry about it, cause I would not buy until it drops to msrp and if it doesnt, then I guess I wont have one. oh well

2 tone

If every customer refused to pay the ADM then we wouldn't have it. But that's not the case, and in the case of the GT500, there are those of us who will pay ADM up to a certain point. The dealer sets the price, including the ADM and the dealer will adust the price accordingly depending on his sales and greediness.

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
greediness....i swear people are so ignorant that they think its being greedy when a guy asks for market value.

there is a local dealer here that had a 2000 R in his showroom for 3 years, was offered upwards of 75k at one point, but wouldnt take it, he finally sold it for sticker. It wasnt a case of being greedy, he just liked having the car in the showroom for people to look at. HE definitely doesnt need to make 20k on a car, but only a poor business man would give profit away. Now I am sure people will chime in and say they won't buy from a dealer that is charging a markup at first. Well there is a 99% chance you won't be buying from a dealer that gets Shelby allocation then.

Last edited:

beaner

wee-man
Established Member
gt500

20,000 gran over msrp is greddy. i under stand making some money but come on it is not a gt or a or a lambo . it is just a gt with a good motor. any the dealers are making it out to be the baddest car ever produced and they are only making a hand few(bullsh#t) that is not fair market value ,that is good sales and deciving.msrp or around there is fair market value.

beaner

wee-man
Established Member
gt500

what is worth and what they can f!@k some body into are two different things.you must be a sells man or own a pawn shop[

Jackie Chan

Established Member
beaner said:
what is worth and what they can f!@k some body into are two different things.you must be a sells man or own a pawn shop[

yeah, so a guy wants to buy the car from me, i say "ebay is getting 20k over" he then says i'll pay 15k over and I take it. Is that ****ing him? or ****ing myself for not asking what everyone else is paying?

portside

Established Member
I hate to chime in on the side of the dealers, but how can you F--K someone by selling them something? Come on, if you think you are getting F----ED, DON'T BUY IT. You can't hurt someone by asking what something is worth. Would ANYONE here honestly sell their Mustang, their house (or anything else) to someone for less than another person is offering? We all know that we would not want to sell anything we own for less than what it is worth. Lets see you sell your current car or house for $5000-20,000 under market value! What's the difference?

03DOHC

Established Member
There used to be a dealer down the street from me who was selling '03 Cobra verts for $50,000. And there were people who paid that. That dealer is no longer in business. I went there to buy an oil filter for my car and I was looking at the window sticker of one of their Cobra's and a sales guy tried to sell me the car. I just laughed at him and told him I tried to buy one from them and they wouldn't budge on the rediculous markup. He sneered at me and told me I would not find one without a markup. I laughed at him and pointed to my car on the street 15 feet away and said I already have one and I didn't buy it from you nor did I pay a markup. He just walked away. I hate dealers.

beaner

wee-man
Established Member
gt 500

worth i guess that is a funny term. so all you guys out there with 03 04 cobras think they are worth 25,000 to 30,000 including myself( with a 04 cobra) and go to trade it in the dealer says it is only worth 18,000 to 22,000 you think that is fair. i know they will only pay so much so they can make money, but there is a difference between what a car is worth and what a dealer is willing to pay or stick it to you for. and if you think the gt500 is worth the extra 20,000 mark up then buy one and go back to the dealer one month later and trade it in and see what it is worth according to them. i under stand they are in the game to f@#k the customer for a much money as they can, but is a diffewrence between f@#king someone and raping ,both parties can enjoy f@#king if done right but no body likes to get raped.,and 20,000 over msrp or more on a 46,000 is raping.some pepole are compairing this to the gt but it started at 167,000 if you can afford that what is another 20,000, but when you are trying to get half the value of the car over msrp that is raping.

Jackie Chan

Established Member
beaner said:
worth i guess that is a funny term. so all you guys out there with 03 04 cobras think they are worth 25,000 to 30,000 including myself( with a 04 cobra) and go to trade it in the dealer says it is only worth 18,000 to 22,000 you think that is fair. i know they will only pay so much so they can make money, but there is a difference between what a car is worth and what a dealer is willing to pay or stick it to you for. and if you think the gt500 is worth the extra 20,000 mark up then buy one and go back to the dealer one month later and trade it in and see what it is worth according to them. i under stand they are in the game to f@#k the customer for a much money as they can, but is a diffewrence between f@#king someone and raping ,both parties can enjoy f@#king if done right but no body likes to get raped.,and 20,000 over msrp or more on a 46,000 is raping.some pepole are compairing this to the gt but it started at 167,000 if you can afford that what is another 20,000, but when you are trying to get half the value of the car over msrp that is raping.

well if you are helpless enough to "have to" trade you cobra when they sell easily for the mid 20's then no one is ****ING YOU!!!!!!! you are paying for a service you are to useless or busy to do yourself.

When are MEN going to stop acting like little bitches and be ****ing men, be a man wait for the car to come down in price or step up and pay the money, just stop your whiney belly acheing bitchfest. You are a victim if you make yourself one.

95Proof

Established Member
Agreed. Pay to be first, or wait for the price to fall. Odds are there are not 16,000 (2yr. run) Mustang/Shelby bandwagon jumpers out there to shell out 40K plus mark - up for these cars. I would like one. I will wait. At the end of 03' the Cobra was available for $ 2500 off MSRP and 0% for 60 months. That is what happens when the 8 the dealer had in stock did not sell all year and the 04' delivery was on it's way. If it does not drop at the dealership - OK. In 03' there were 4 on the lot at Carmax - 2 months after they came out. All with 2K miles or less. Why? Because it is an awesome deal to get that much performance for that price - whatever was paid - it just does not mean it was a good financial decision to buy it. History will repeat itself in that area - it is certain.

beaner

wee-man
Established Member
gt 500

i am mearly using trading a car in for a example you dump f@#k. i my self own 9 cars. i am just expressing my point of view on the gt 500 ass raping. i thought that is what this was for(talking to pepole and expressing your point of view). from the sounds of it you must like what the dealers are doing or you work for one. i will do the same as you guys and what till the price goes down, but do not understand why any body would take sides of a dealer and then say they will what till the price goes down.sounds like you are the one that is hopeless!

Route66

Established Member
Beaner,
Come on, relax. I actually don't have a problem with dealers charging what they want. I won't pay over MSRP, but they can do it. If someone is willing to pay for something, by all mean sell it for that price. Look at auctions and old cars. Who says a car is worth the money they're paying. We do, the buyer.
I started this thread to find out where the dealer gets the so called ADM from. Hopefully next year I can get one at MSRP. If not, then it's out of my ballpark for price. But if someone will pay more, so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread