Whites Aren't Enlisting Anymore

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
The short answer is that they didn't change it until they were forced to by declining enlistments.

This isn't true at all. The implementation date for BRS was 01 JAN 2018 and the planning for it began years before that. We didn't have recruitment issues then.

The change to the BRS was merely a cost savings measure. It pushes part of the retirement benefit from the DOD budget to the market and ensures Soldiers can leave with some retirement savings if they don't serve 20 years.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Yup and it's horseshit that all those poor bastards like me who only did a term get nada when I was in

Let's be honest, most single contract guys won't contribute to their TSP anyways so you would have only received 1% automatic contributions.

And nothing prevented you from contributing to your TSP when you were in. You just wouldn't have received the 5% match and 1% auto contribution which for an E1-E4 is almost null.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Let's be honest, most single contract guys won't contribute to their TSP anyways so you would have only received 1% automatic contributions.

And nothing prevented you from contributing to your TSP when you were in. You just wouldn't have received the 5% match and 1% auto contribution which for an E1-E4 is almost null.
TSP was not available when I was in. I did purchase U.S. Savings Bonds while in though.

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member

I guess so but compared to what I've worked up with getting vested in my current career for 5 years it makes uncle Sam look horrible

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I knew a few who got out after 17 or 18 years. They were just sick of the life. Shrug. I mean if they had put in two or three more years they were guaranteed a check every month for life.
Exactly. I feel VERY fortunate to have stuck it out and draw what I draw. The medical and commissary are life savers. Plus my wife and I are both 70+ outside my retirement. If I can live ok and be a dumbass no reason others can't! HAHAHA I know too many people who wish they had stayed in.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I guess so but compared to what I've worked up with getting vested in my current career for 5 years it makes uncle Sam look horrible

Sure but most of your vested retirement money is likely coming from your contributions--not the company match. Meaning you made the decision to start focusing on retirement which is a good thing.

We've gotten a lot better educating Soldiers on personal finance in the last decade. A lot of young guys are making really intelligent decisions. Still the numbskulls with 20% interest rates on dodge challengers but it's not as bad as it was.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Exactly. I feel VERY fortunate to have stuck it out and draw what I draw. The medical and commissary are life savers. Plus my wife and I are both 70+ outside my retirement. If I can live ok and be a dumbass no reason others can't! HAHAHA I know too many people who wish they had stayed in.
I wish I had stayed in. I left for the wrong reasons.

Fast forward: I ended up with a career in public education and retired with full pension in 2022. A few times I really came close to packing it in early but after studying the pension plan realized how much money I would be leaving on the table so I stuck it out. Glad I stayed in this time around.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
This isn't true at all. The implementation date for BRS was 01 JAN 2018 and the planning for it began years before that. We didn't have recruitment issues then.

The change to the BRS was merely a cost savings measure. It pushes part of the retirement benefit from the DOD budget to the market and ensures Soldiers can leave with some retirement savings if they don't serve 20 years.

They could see the numbers coming at them and trends in recruit fitness were already an issue by 2010.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I wish I had stayed in. I left for the wrong reasons.

Fast forward: I ended up with a career in public education and retired with full pension in 2022. A few times I really came close to packing it in early but after studying the pension plan realized how much money I would be leaving on the table so I stuck it out. Glad I stayed in this time around.
All you can do at the time is do what you think is best for you. At the time you thought that. I also know people who got out and did MUCH better. Friend of mine was a Brilliant Officer and he was bored to death and left to join the CIA. I don't care who you are or where you work there are better doors out there for you, will you find it is the question. It's bravery to take that chance...for sure.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I said **** the Navy is 2008 after 12 years lol...sometimes i regret it. But not really

I swear on everything holy i said "**** off Chief and **** your boyfriend Senior over there too" as i dropped my chit for 60 terminal leave the day i was supposed to look for orders and reenlist a few weeks later lol.
They made sure my last 14 days before my terminal leave started sucked too lol...but **** em

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
Sure but most of your vested retirement money is likely coming from your contributions--not the company match. Meaning you made the decision to start focusing on retirement which is a good thing.

We've gotten a lot better educating Soldiers on personal finance in the last decade. A lot of young guys are making really intelligent decisions. Still the numbskulls with 20% interest rates on dodge challengers but it's not as bad as it was.
Well in the current system it's different with pension we don't have any control of that u work a certain amount of hrs a year for the credits then at 55 they get added up etc.

Now I do have control of where my annuity $$ gets funded to that's a completely different animal. I remember only making 2k a month as a E4 lmfao. Jeez I'm sure there's apprentices making more money than that lol

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
They could see the numbers coming at them and trends in recruit fitness were already an issue by 2010.

Are you just making stuff up like usually do?

2010 was nearly the height of the military's end strength from 1999-current.

There were zero recruitment concerns then and it we were halfway through two wars.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
When white men quit or stop showing up they realize that white men is what keeps shit moving.

Users who are viewing this thread