Whiteline KDT928 MT82 Transmission Bushing Insert Tested. Reviews/Tips & Tricks

NickSezz

Established Member
UPDATE! WHITELINE MT82 TRANS BUSHINGS ARE IN STOCK ARE READY TO SHIP!

Last week JDM installed and tested the new Whiteline MT82 Transmission Bushing Insert on a 2012 Mustang GT with your typical bolt on parts and tune.

This particular car had consistent issues with the 2-3 up-shift. Third gear was difficult to engage quickly when attempting to shift over 7k RPMs and precious time was wasted on the track.

An after market shifter bracket was added first to try and solve this issue with no avail. Next we tried a braided steal clutch line with some new fluid, but the 2-3 shift was still difficult with the stock clutch.

Finally, we installed the Whiteline KDT928 2011-2014 MUSTANG TRANSMISSION BUSHING INSERT...

I am sure you know this is what the bushing looks like directly from Whiteline by now:

whiteline_positive_shift_kit_2011_2014_mustang.jpg

With the bushing installed shifting was greatly improved. I was able to hit all gears at any RPM without a problem on this same car (my car). The car also seemed to feel more stable during high speed lane changes and also felt "faster." These feeling may have be contributed from the added NVH since you feel more connected to the car as a result...

Now the part that everyone seems to be concerned with. There is added added NVH, at least in my case...Note: Reports from other installs will vary. Some have had the same experience as I did, some report little to no added NVH. Results will vary depending on the type of drive shaft utilized, pinion angle and if any NVH was preexisting.

The vibrations did not come from where you would think either. Instead of being felt in the shifter or column area, it was felt through the entire floor pan, seats and even into the steering wheel when accelerating. This did not make the insert appealing for my mildly modified daily driver.

Reasons for this:

The center section of the insert causes the vibrations from the factory transmission mount to be transferred into the mounting plate for the transmission cross member. This is noticed particularly during acceleration when the engine and transmission are being twisted by the torque of the motor. The triangle section of the factory bushing is pressed into the insert transmitting the vibrations and noise into the mounting plate and is then picked up by the transmission crossmember. Since the crossmember is bolted directly to the floor pan, that is where the vibrations end up...

With the help of some fellow forum members and some of my own testing, two solutions were developed.

At my own home I began to uninstall the bushing since it was not ideal on my DD. You can see that this can be easily done with the front on ramps and a small bottle jack to support the transmission. Here is an attached picture for you do it in your driveway guys:

whiteline_trans_bushing_install.jpg

Support the transmission weight slightly before unbolting the the 4 crossmember bolts and two nuts. Be sure to use the marks left by the corssmember as a guide when re-installing to ensure everything lines up correctly)

After poking around the factory bushing I realized what was leading to the added NVH and make a quick modification:

modified_whiteline_bushing.jpg

That's right. I hacked off the entire middle section of the insert. I figured the to upper cavities were the most important anyway and did not lead to any of the NVH. After I re-installed the modified bushing I went for a drive. Virtually ALL of the NVH was gone and I was still able to bang gears just as well as before the modification. I was happily surprised myself...

After some thought, I came up with another idea that would possibly help anyone with NVH issues and still be just as effective as an unmodified insert.
Another forum member took my lead and created this version:

modified_whiteline_bushing_circle_2.jpg

A hole saw was used to remove a circular section of the center potion of the bushing. His reports are that this modification drastically reduced the NVH but some was still present. Function of the insert remained the same and he was over all happy with the change.

There was a lot more time spent on testing this small of a part than really necessary, but because the part works as Whiteline advertised, I just thought this research would be very beneficial to those who have one on the way and are patiently waiting. This new part just needed some massaging to be a perfect fit for all vehicles...

For those of you that did not jump on this yet, JDM will modify the insert for you. Level 1 will be with a circular hole cut in the center and Level 2 will be with the entire center section removed. Both will cost $49.99 shipped due to the extra process.

I would like to thank those who helped me with testing for the good of the community and Whiteline for making this possible :beer:

Last edited:

dc2r

Established Member
I just had one installed. Before this I have been running a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and rear shifter bracket and bushing. With the Whiteline installed I get the vibration through the floorpan, but I get an even heavier one @ 2000rpm. It makes the entire shifter shake.
Because I am running an aftermarket shifter, I am not sure which one of your posted options to do... In your opinion, do you think I should cut the hole, or just hack off the end completely?

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I just had one installed. Before this I have been running a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and rear shifter bracket and bushing. With the Whiteline installed I get the vibration through the floorpan, but I get an even heavier one @ 2000rpm. It makes the entire shifter shake.
Because I am running an aftermarket shifter, I am not sure which one of your posted options to do... In your opinion, do you think I should cut the hole, or just hack off the end completely?

I put some dynamat on the locations of the trans brace that comes in contact with the trans bushing in the center and then the outer edges where it bolts up to the floor pan vs hacking up the bushing. Easily reversible and worked like a charm with little increase in nvh

Jabooh1

Established Member
I just added mine, been sitting on the work bench for months but haven't had the car in the air.

Definitely added vibration from the floor. Specifically felt through the inside seatbelt strap. Didn't bother me though. I'll see how going back and forth to work for a month feels.

I would cut the hole first. Then if not good enough cut off the tab.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I just added mine, been sitting on the work bench for months but haven't had the car in the air.

Definitely added vibration from the floor. Specifically felt through the inside seatbelt strap. Didn't bother me though. I'll see how going back and forth to work for a month feels.

I would cut the hole first. Then if not good enough cut off the tab.

I can put up with NVH, hell I was DDing and will again soon on Koni yellows on full stiff with a full poly rear.

That said, the NVH without cutting the center off drove me nuts. Was cool at first, as stock exhaust so I could "hear" the engine better. Quickly got annoying lol.

I bet you cut it off in a few weeks.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Did you cut it off or drill the hole? Did you see a reduction in performance of the piece or did it just help NVH?

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Did you cut it off or drill the hole? Did you see a reduction in performance of the piece or did it just help NVH?

I cut off the entire center piece. From what I fathered there is no performance difference from either approach.

I did not notice a loss of any kind in shifting quality. Too me the small benefit I got over the insert stayed the same. Just without the floor vibrating. lol.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Drive to and from work today. Definitely more noticeable. Especially over 5k rpm. Only time will tell how long it takes for me to modify. Getting some BMR goodies in tomorrow so might be up in the air again this weekend.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I was planning on removing mine due to the Noise & Vibration.I will definitely give this a try. Going to drill the hole first and see what that does.

dc2r

Established Member
i just had my bushing chopped this weekend. what a relief. about 99% of the vibrations are now gone. no loss in shifter performance that i can tell. there are so many of us complaining about this that i wish whiteline would do something about it. for someone like me who does not have the means of swapping out the bushing myself, i had to pay for installation twice.

NickSezz

Established Member
Just want to bump this thread to let you guys know that stocks have been replenished and should be available from us as well as other vendors as needed.

We will offer these in stock form as well as modified versions.

We can chop off the entire middle section to eliminate any Possible NVH increase.

We can also trim the tip off the middle section as well as cut the 1.5" hole in the middle to reduce as much NVH as Possible while maintaining most of the center piece.

To order a modified bushing give us a call or email me at [email protected]

2011-2014 Mustang Transmission Bushing Insert - JDM Engineering

maddog2

maddog2
Established Member
I just put my bushing in this weekend and did not notice a annoying nvh. I do not daily drive my car and have owned some pretty radical cars so it may not bother me. I have a stock two piece driveline on my test drive yesterday but today put my DSS aluminum driveshaft on. Its raining today so probably wont go out for a test drive. I wanted to do the bushing first so if I had some nvh I would know what it was from. I could not get from 2nd to 3rd on a hard pull from 5000 rpm to 7000rpm. After installing the bushing no problems. OH did I mention I am pushing 600rwhp.

TRDon

Established Member
I ordered mine from cjponyparts yesterday. Hopefully i will get it soon.

11_Ingot5.0

Established Member
So I purchased this and waiting to install this into the car also with amsoil fluid and JPC clutch line. The only thing I cnt find is what the torque specs are for the cross member?? Sorry for the thread high jack

thank you

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
I put mine in this last weekend, sawed off the center section, perfect, no increase in NVH, crisper shifts under heavy load, win-win!

NickSezz

Established Member
I put mine in this last weekend, sawed off the center section, perfect, no increase in NVH, crisper shifts under heavy load, win-win!

YEAH BUDDY! lol

I have more of these in stock. What a great little part with versatility. Its a nice alternative to stiffer motor mounts.

Every manual car should have some version of this bushing installed.

Even with 500wtq my modified one still allows much better shifting. I would never remove it.

768MPH

Established Member
Ordered and on the way. I think ill just cut the center off before inserting it. Seems to be the best combo. Great thread.

Users who are viewing this thread