white smoke?

phils04gt

Established Member
well i just took out the car for the first little drive since i got it. the car dosent ever smoke when driving normal or when at idle just when i get into boost? could the turbos be bad? thanks hp twin tubro kit! 13lbs of boost!

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
phils04gt said:
well i just took out the car for the first little drive since i got it. the car dosent ever smoke when driving normal or when at idle just when i get into boost? could the turbos be bad? thanks hp twin tubro kit! 13lbs of boost!

White smoke is coolant.....you might have lost a head gasket.

MJ

phils04gt

Established Member
hmmm

how can i check to see if it is a head gasket? i was out driving it again and i was testing it out; i would run the boost up to about 4-8lbs and it would be fine but once it went to full boost it began to put out a little white smoke. what could i do to prevent the gasket from blowing? does this cost alot to fix? thanks!!

smashedheadcat

Established Member
What are you doing in reguards to the PCV system. If you are seeing high crankcase pressure, it can cause an oil drainback restriction, possibly the reason for the white smoke. Headgasket failures are uncommon on 4v motors but definately not impossible.

phils04gt

Established Member
pcv system

well i just bought the car recently and as far as the pcv system goes im not sure if there is one. if it is what i am thinking of there is a breather on the driver side valve cover and on the passenger side there is just and elbow with a rubber hose that just lays down the side of the motor pointed at the ground. is it possible the pcv was removed and could that be the problem. also is that easy to fix?

TRBO VNM

take some pics. on the driver side rear valve cover there should be a light grey pcv valve and then hose attached to it and use to go to the bottom of the intake from the factory. I am not sure how the HP kit has you route it. the passenger side is fine with the breather.

phils04gt

Established Member
pcv

yeah i will have to take some pictures when i get home. as far as i seen there isnt anything as far as that little box. what is the one hose that is on the passenger side valve cover. i knew on my last cobra it was connected. but this one is just running to the ground not hooked up to anything. o yeah with the pcv not hooked up would that have any effect on the car smelling like and old truck! it smells like fuel;or just because it has no cats? thanks..

phils04gt said:
how can i check to see if it is a head gasket? i was out driving it again and i was testing it out; i would run the boost up to about 4-8lbs and it would be fine but once it went to full boost it began to put out a little white smoke. what could i do to prevent the gasket from blowing? does this cost alot to fix? thanks!!

At Autozone they have these kits that check for combustion chamber gasses in the coolant. You take a small sample from the coolant reservoir after you bring the car up to operating temp and then you squirt the supplied dye in the kit and whammo! The color of the die will tell you if there are combustion chamber gasses in the coolant.

The white smoke is unfortunately a very good sign that you have coolant getting past the head gasket. Unless you have a gremlin inside your x pipe smoking a giant joint.

Last edited:

phils04gt

Established Member
hmm

i hope so. i am going to just get it checked out to ensure it is good to go. then i will turn the boost up a bit.. my buddy in his turbo z28 beat me the other day so i need to crank it above 13psi.. maybe about 16-17. what did you do to the pcv system.

phils04gt

Established Member
turbo

well i had a compression check done on it and it was 145 for all cylinders and the head gasket is fine. im not sure whay else it would be. i was out driving it today and i didnt see any smoke. what can i do about the breathers on the valve covers they smell like shit!!! it make my car stink. when i rev it up it has some white smoke come out of it. is that normal? also where can i get a catch can from thanks!!

phils04gt

Established Member
turbo

well i had a compression check done on it and it was 145 for all cylinders and the head gasket is fine. im not sure why else it would be. i was out driving it today and i didnt see any smoke. what can i do about the breathers on the valve covers they smell like shit!!! it make my car stink. when i rev it up it has some white smoke come out of it. is that normal? also where can i get a catch can from thanks!!

J

Janstang

One option is to run a breather line from each valve cover into a catch can. Not sure how much this will help with the smell, but it will help with the crankcase evac. problem..

phils04gt

Established Member
yeap

yeah its a pita i need to do soemthing though because it just stinks. where can i get a breather from?

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I've also wanted to know the proper way to do the PVC system on turbo mod motors. What is the factory set-up? I know the driver's side has a PVC valve from the valve cover to the intake. Some people say don't run breathers because it can mess up the A/F ratio by letting in un-metered air, etc. Hellion, how did you run yours to solve your drainback issue? I just would like to know the bottom line on the correct way to plumb the system once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread