White smoke, engine not idling, engine knocking....help please

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
yeasure said:
Coolant was gone in both the rad and intercooler.
I did have to replace the lower intake manifold gaskets because one was screwed when i pulled the SC.
The thing i noticed was it got very loud when it heated up, when it's cold it seems very normal.
I did check the lower intake manifold bolts and everything is torqued to spec, nothing seems loose.
Also i got some coolant down in the ports, used a shop vac to suck the coolant back out(wasn't much that i could see) and i also pulled the plugs last night and i don't see/smell any sign of coolant on the plugs, it was just wet with gas(old gas but i added new and it seems a lot better now).
I'm guessing the intake gasket is screwed and is causing this when it heats up?!?!

Did you drain any of the engine coolant out of the system? If it is sucking it out of the reservoir, it can be a few things. If you drained some coolant, once the thermostat opens its sucking it out of the reservoir because you do not have enough coolant in the system. OR the lower intake gasket was not installed properly and you are getting coolant into the motor. Have you checked ALL the plugs? You said they looked wet? It shouldnt be wet with gas unless you are running EXTREMELY rich. You may have been with the SCT MAF since they may cause a rich condition, but they shouldnt be wet @ all if the stock MAF is on there. And if it is with the stock MAF, then it sounds like you are getting coolant into the head from an improperly sealed gasket.

Dave

Rice Eatr

Established Member
IMO, it sounds like you have problem with the intercooler plate that bolts to the back of the intake. I think that the intercooler fluid is getting into the lower intake causing the white smoke.

elmo0244

Established Member
the best too do imo is to redo the whole blower job and start over thats what i would do.you'll most likely slove the problem. :beer:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Yes, i drained the IC coolant before i pulled the SC and i noticed coolant in the port, went and bought a shop vac and sucked out everything i saw.
So i'm guessing that where the white smoke is coming from.
The last time i cranked it i didn't see any white smoke coming from the tail pipes until i gave it alittle gas(reved it to 2500rpm's) then i saw a lot of white smoke.
As far as the coolant being low, i knew this would happen, i'm just having to refill it as i go, no worrys here on that, this is normal.
As far as the intake gasket being install wrong, i know 100% they were, i even made a post about it.
Everytime i torqued the bolts down, bolt number 2 was always 5nm off, everyone that posted actted like it was normal and not to worry.
I havn't cranked it again and let it get warm since it made that bad bad vib/ticking/knocking sound, i mean it was very bad, thats why i think the gasket/gaskets are screwed(both are new btw).
I guess i'm going to call Randy Haywood Monday and ship the car to him because i'm having no luck with this and honestly after everything is fix 100% i'm selling the car, it's caused me to many problems and to much money, something i can afford at this time.
But i will make sure 100% everything is fine before i would even think about selling it, so don't worry about me selling a bad car to someone, i'd never do that.
It honestly been a great car but with way to many problems that cost way to much money(not just this problem btw, i've had a lot).
I'll re-post what the problem is/was after i talk to Randy and have him work on it.
Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
Rice Eatr said:
IMO, it sounds like you have problem with the intercooler plate that bolts to the back of the intake. I think that the intercooler fluid is getting into the lower intake causing the white smoke.

if there was that much water getting into the intake, it would hydrolock

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Ok, talked to one of the guys that helps me a lot and he seems to think all that happened was the coolant wasn't moving because of air being trapped.
This caused the engine to overheat and in return caused the engine to knock really bad.
He said make sure no air is trapped and everything should be ok.
So i'm crossing my fingers hoping this is all that has happened.
He doesn't think the intake gasket/gaskets is a problem because it wouldn't idle normal if the intake gasket wasn't sitting/sealed.
Now i'm not saying any of this is true because honestly i don't know enough about cars/engine like a lot of you guys do, so if this doesn't sound right it please let me know, it would honestly make me feel better hearing this from you guys also.
Btw, he also said anti-freeze takes longer to burn off and that could be why i'm still seeing white smoke(that is if it's not leaking)
He said it could take anywhere to 20 miles to burn off anti-freeze(not water)
With all this said, i want to thank everyone again for the help, this site has honestly helped me a lot and i just can't say enough about the guys that take the time and help others.....so thanks again.

Last edited:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Well well well, found me another problem......lmao
Now i get 2psi tops.....lmao
This car/engine is honestly a real pain in the ass.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Wrong....lmao
It won't come back apart with me doing it.
It is right as far as the torque specs, now if the torque spec are wrong(i used fords specs and what i saw on this board, they both matched) then i would understand but this car will not be touched by me again.

Users who are viewing this thread