White smoke, engine not idling, engine knocking....help please

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Ok here goes...
Had the blower ported, got everything back on, started the car and wow talk about awful......lmao
First thing, it starts up just fine, no problems but it just doesn't want to idle at all, engine feels like it's knocking bad, clunk clunk clunk, then it shuts off.
Then i start seeing white smoke just rolling out of the back side of the engine.
I'm guessing anti-freeze got in(or water) and it's burning it off, maybe?!?!
Pulled my plugs and notice they're in very good shape but very wet with gas(i'm guessing the gas is old?!?!)(i couldn't smell or see any anti-freeze on the plug)
How normal is any of this and can anyone point me in the right direction on what i should be looking for?
I'm going to make a short video tomorrow of everything it's doing(was going to tonight but the people next door got really pissed at me :D ).
Thanks to anyone that can help.

Last edited:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
I've checked all my lines, everything is connected :shrug:

stevenscamaross

SVT Pimp
Established Member
yeasure said:
I've checked all my lines, everything is connected :shrug:

Hey humor me and make sure you plugged back in your maf. I started mine up after my Apten install and forgot to do that and my car sounded the exact same way.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Yea it's plugged up "but" i do however have a new MAF(still waiting on my new tune).
It the MAF from James(the big ass maf)could this becauing the the idle problem?
I would think it would atleast start and idle with no problems, but then again, maybe not????

drkchk03svt

Established Member
yeasure said:
Yea it's plugged up "but" i do however have a new MAF(still waiting on my new tune).
It the MAF from James(the big ass maf)could this becauing the the idle problem?
I would think it would atleast start and idle with no problems, but then again, maybe not????

That is your problem. Intall the old MAF and restart car. Install new MAF right before Tune.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
The maf might need to be calibrated..try your old one.

grnenvy

Established Member
hmmm

I put the sct meter on my car and it ran fine even before the tune. I even drove it to JD's to get tuned. Good luck hopefully your car is diff then mine and it's just the meter. Who knows maybe you got a bad meter.

elmo0244

Established Member
you need a tune for that maf thats what james told me.he also said if it's tuned for your car you chould damage the motor.i would in stall the old and see what happens.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Its most likely the MAF, and im not saying its this, but thats exactly what my car did when my FRPS went bad.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Its the MAF. The SCT MAF or the MAF that James sells will make the car not run unless your car has a tune for it.

Also, you said you see white smoke. Did you clean the fluid out when you pulled the blower off, under the blower? Put the stock meter back in and let us know what happens.

Dave

dynobobstieg

Juiced46 said:
Its the MAF. The SCT MAF or the MAF that James sells will make the car not run unless your car has a tune for it.

Also, you said you see white smoke. Did you clean the fluid out when you pulled the blower off, under the blower? Put the stock meter back in and let us know what happens.

Dave

I agree with Juiced this would be the first thing to do. :rockon:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
yeasure said:
Could i have caused any type of damage doing this?

Well the white smoke is a concern. Check for coolant leaks. Did you put anew gasket @ the front of the intake where the 2 tubes go through? Were the O rings good on those as well?

You are probably running rich as hell, worst case maybe some fouled plugs?

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Ok, update....
Car started running just fine with the new MAF, no more white smoke from the engine, all gone but lots coming from the tail pipes(i feel a lot better about this).
I let it idle for maybe 10mins, walked in the house to piss, came out and oh my.....it sound like i had the head tick x1000, it was loud, engine sound like it was jumping around :( .
Shut the car off, noticed my coolant was gone.
I let it cool off, checked all the bolts on the lower intake manifold(everything is great) switched to the OEM MAF, cranked it up, running/idling just fine again.
I let it idle for about 5mins and noticed the coolant in the intercooler boiling, shut it off.
I've burped the cooling system and everything seems normal other then the white smoke coming from the tail pipes(i'm guessing it's just coolant burning off now, i hope).
So far so good but i'm still waiting on a tune(3 weeks now no tune :( )
Everything seem normal about this or no?
Btw thanks everyone for helping out, it means a lot.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Coolant in the intercooler boiling? It shouldnt be that hot at all. You should however see it circulating in the reservoir. But defientely not boiling

Also you said you noticed the coolant was gone? Which coolant? The engine coolant or the IC coolant? You shouldnt have touched anything that has to do with the engine coolant for the Bower install. Only thing i can see is if the gasket for the lower intake got messed up. When i pull the Eaton off, i leave the lower intake bolted on, i never removed it on any install.

Dave

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Coolant was gone in both the rad and intercooler.
I did have to replace the lower intake manifold gaskets because one was screwed when i pulled the SC.
The thing i noticed was it got very loud when it heated up, when it's cold it seems very normal.
I did check the lower intake manifold bolts and everything is torqued to spec, nothing seems loose.
Also i got some coolant down in the ports, used a shop vac to suck the coolant back out(wasn't much that i could see) and i also pulled the plugs last night and i don't see/smell any sign of coolant on the plugs, it was just wet with gas(old gas but i added new and it seems a lot better now).
I'm guessing the intake gasket is screwed and is causing this when it heats up?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread