white smoke at start up in 03 cobra

Cobralicious83

Established Member
hello i need help/advice on my 03 cobra it just recently started to throw white smoke from the exhaust just at start up after that it wont do it at all only at start up plz help kinda worried!! thank you
:shrug::??::eek::bored::uh oh::bowdown::(:cryying::idea:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This has been brought up a lot lately. I doubt it's condensation, unless your starting the car when it's 40* or less.

BMR Tech

Mine smokes like a train! Seriously.....it smokes really bad. 114K miles, 21 psi....nitrous....ehhh, ill run it until she gives up. lol

Cobralicious83

Established Member
How do I go about uploading to it I'm new to this page so don't know how to upload but never overheating and I don't really know about the smell but it's white smoke for sure and only on start up

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
Make sure you know the color and smell of the smoke.

White smoke is almost always from coolant. It will smell sweet. If the smoke is from condensation it will actually be more like steam and therefore fairly translucent. Condensation smoke won't smell at all.

If it is blue smoke it is most likely caused by worn valve guides. Other cause might be substantial oil suction into intake through pcv. This smoke will smell like very old used oil. I had this smoke on startup for a while and just subscribed to the "it's normal for our cars" explanation. When I redid my heads I installed new valve guides and had a good valve cleaning done. Turned out valves weren't closing 100% and as the car would sit it, oil would drip down into combustion chamber from worn guides and possibly from valves not closing right.

Black or dark grey smoke is from a rich air fuel mixture. This will smell like barely burned gas with a hint of fresh gas to it. This is not as bad as the last two. You can run rich all day but you can only run lean once.

Cobralicious83

Established Member
Make sure you know the color and smell of the smoke.

White smoke is almost always from coolant. It will smell sweet. If the smoke is from condensation it will actually be more like steam and therefore fairly translucent. Condensation smoke won't smell at all.

If it is blue smoke it is most likely caused by worn valve guides. Other cause might be substantial oil suction into intake through pcv. This smoke will smell like very old used oil. I had this smoke on startup for a while and just subscribed to the "it's normal for our cars" explanation. When I redid my heads I installed new valve guides and had a good valve cleaning done. Turned out valves weren't closing 100% and as the car would sit it, oil would drip down into combustion chamber from worn guides and possibly from valves not closing right.

Black or dark grey smoke is from a rich air fuel mixture. This will smell like barely burned gas with a hint of fresh gas to it. This is not as bad as the last two. You can run rich all day but you can only run lean once.

after you installed the new valve guides and evereything was it fine and around how much did that run you??

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
New valve guides were really cheap. I got them on Rock Auto as part of their gasket kit. The thing was, I took my heads in for inspection so they can be put on a flow bench. The guy also cleaned them for me and installed the valve guides. It was only $150 per head, but I took all the cams and chains off and had to reinstall them all myself. It was really not that hard. I mainly did it because of a bad result from compression checks and pressure leak down tests.

Everything was fine after that.

Just run a compression test to see if you have any compression differences that are alarming and if so just do a leak-down test to see where it is losing pressure. If the results from the compression and leak-down tests are ok, I wouldn't worry too much about the valve guides leaking a little oil while the engine is sitting. I mean, it's not worth taking the heads apart for that.

Users who are viewing this thread