White smoke (after warm up)

Vic2186

Established Member
Hey guys was seeing maybe ya had some insight on what this can be ..mods are stock setup plus car deletes (no tune for now )the car will always start blowing light white smoke even after warmed up..under the mufflers will be puddles of water but I don't think it's condensation ..I have never seen a coyote head gasket problem either..no smoke coming from engine side ,checked under oil cap and ensured injectors were clipped and seated ..stock intake and all.. No check engine only light for cat deletes (I know I need a tune don't drive it hard)..checked plugs they look ok ..here's a vid
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m94/vic2186/BB0452A1-3E85-43F1-A2DC-C99F01DECFC3-5963-000005432AAAF4A1_zpsaae05008.mp4

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
What does it smell like? any oil in the intake (before and after throttle body)? Does it do it while driving? on and off the throttle?
If I remember you were previously supercharged.. Could be bad rings or even low compression from a broken ring, Smoke is the oil getting buy the ring and into the cumbustion chamber (worst case)

Last edited:

Vic2186

Established Member
Doesn't do it while driving ..no oil in intake or TB ..only start up and warm it stops after a while ..

bmyles

Established Member
Mine does the Same after I put my o/r x pipe on, I haven't given it much thought because the plugs look good, there's no loss of coolant or oil and its right around freezing here so you see exhaust anyway.

Vic2186

Established Member
I don't think it's nothing bad ..just odd.doesnt do after it's been driven or not smoking under any throttle

JerryC

Established Member
Get a clean white paper towel and soak up the "water". If it is coolant it will show the color on the towel.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
needs a tune. never remove anything that will trip a cel. (unless you are tuned for it)that's my rule of thumb anyway.
you never really know what the computer is trying to correct.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
Get a clean white paper towel and soak up the "water". If it is coolant it will show the color on the towel.
going old school on us......
you can taste it. coolant is actually sweet tasting.
that is why dogs drink it.

DanenGraham

Established Member
So, has it been colder on the days that its doing this? Like 50-60* range. Or did it do this when it was 80-90*??

Most head gaskets blow every winter....

Cashbum

Established Member
I usually taste fluids that have leaked from my cars. Oil taste funny and coolant is sweet as noted before. Also like they said before you should get a tune for no cats. For all we know that computer could still be dumping gas in there. Or hell leaning out and smoking

DanenGraham

Established Member
This is going to be really basic, but from some of the replies i think it should be noted.

Smoke color

White = Water/coolant
Blue = oil
Black = gasoline/diesel

The problem he is describing, is almost for sure just water/moisture/condensation in the exhaust. Or, its the colder weather showing the moisture from the exhaust gas itself. Just the exhaust gas itself from the combustion cycle will have a higher content of water in it than the atmosphere. That is why almost every car "smokes" when the temps start to drop. It doesn’t even have to be very cold outside for it to happen.

Last edited:

TRDon

Established Member
Its condensation. My stock boss does that. My stock ram hemi does that. Its not uncommon. You guys are way overthinking this. Heat up a cold ss exhaust front to back and as it warms with moist hot air, condensation forms inside the pipe. The more you drive and the pipe heats up, the less water under the muffs and white smoke. No worries dude.

Cashbum

Established Member
He still needs a tune for the cat delete. PCM is probably going crazy trying to figure out what to do

Users who are viewing this thread