whipple twin screw empeller scoring, should I be concerned?

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
last year i bought a used gen 2 2.3 whipple with supposedly 20,xxx miles.

Its had a 3.5 inch upper pulley all it's life, pervious owner ran 13lbs on it.

Its been bugging me for a while now so i thought id ask, the tips of the fins are lightly scuffed, and I have a few score marks on the face of the fins.

None of them are deep cuts at all my finger nail barely catches on them,the blower spins freely by hand and there is no endplay or any play at all.Im assuming that they do expand due to heat and possibly clearences get tighter?

is this normal signs of usage? kinda makes me wonder what made it through there and into the engine (not mine)

I took a few snap shots of the marks but I will need to put them up tomorrow

I plan on running more boost and Id like to know if this would make a problem

SVT_Troy

Established Member
doesn't sound bad if your finger nail isn't catching. I'll wait until pics are posted though.....

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sounds normal from what you describe but lets see those pics. The rotors run so tight in these blowers I've yet to see one that didn't have light marks of wear after just a few thousands miles.

cj428mach

Established Member
Pictures of Whipple Rotors

Whipple says they're fine. Mine had a few on it when I pulled it off my old car and installed it on my new one. I took pics and emailed them to Whipple, they told me the rotors were fine and to have fun. As long as the rotors aren't contacting the case or each other its pretty much just grit that went through the rotors. If you have a piece of dirt/debris get into the blower the blower becomes a rock crusher and smashes the debris and can cause these marks.

If you're experiencing major problems (rotor contact) the rotors will be worn heavily along the edge like someone took 60 grit sand paper and started going to town on it.

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
When I bought my TVS used, my rotors looked the same. Inside the case had some light scoring too so I took some 2K grit sand paper too. No issues.
I would definitely do something about the oil getting into the blower.

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
alright good to hear, all I need to do is change the oil and time for the install. thanks for the help, heres the pictures anyway

whipple_2.jpg

whipple_1.jpg

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
There are three leak paths through a set of rotors: The tip clearance is the least concerning as it is a pocket to pocket leak and the DP isn't too big across the tips as compared to a leak direct back to the intake side.

Your pic shows some significant contact between the tips and the housing. I would recommend disassembly and a light stoning of the tips to remove the high spots. Also use some 3-4K sand paper to remove the high spots from the damage in the rotor bores.

You have lost some significant compression efficiency and any more material you remove from the tips or rotor bore will increase reliability but decrease compression efficiency. In other words, do not remove much... a very very light stoning / sanding is all you need to remove any high spots.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
alright good to hear, all I need to do is change the oil and time for the install. thanks for the help, heres the pictures anyway
whipple_1.jpg

That does not look like the normal wear I see on rotors when I pull a used blower. It's usually on the flat larger surfaces of the rotor and it's more like the black coating has faded off from rubbing. It's still very smooth looking though. Yours looks scored with groves and on the tips. I can't say for sure what you have going on. I can just tell you that's not what I normally see. I'd at least look into that before proceeding.

cj428mach

Established Member
I think you'll be fine. You just had some crap go through there. If you're still concerned I have the email of a guy at whipple I can give you and you can send them some pics.

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
pics shown are the worst, the rest is mininal markings.

I was worried about sanding down more material as it would create more clearence

I really want a 2.9 just so I wouldnt have to spin this one hard to get the power I want. but moneys tight

I paid 2500 for it last year and it was local which I thought originally was a good deal without having to ship,but now it seems kind of high to me.

cj428mach id appreciate it if you could pm me the email, I would like to make sure before I go any further, Im was aiming for next weekend to install finally.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
That's not just rotor tip that's something contacting the sides of rotor itself. Maybe it wasn't all the way clean before installation? Either way it needs to come off. I think Jon Bond is good but have been out of the game for a while. Generally what you can see on those tips you can see the matching spots inside the case. One rubs and the other rubs as well. If you can take it apart yourself then you can fix it.

Get some 400 grit sand paper for the tips and then the same for inside the case and be sure to put tape over the bearings. It won't be to bad to do really. Need to get rid of those and not keep running the car like it is now imo.

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
looked at it again, something got tangled up in there. I havent personally ran this blower on my car, its been on a shelf for just about a year. heres more pics

and also when I first got it, it was sitting tilted on a shelf snout was pointed downward and was slowly dripping oil from behind the pulley once I leveled it no more leaks, so possibly what ever was inside there dug into the bearings and seals?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
The vent is in the center bolt of the snout. So its going to leak when tilted down.

I'll pm you the email.

1loudmouthpony

Established Member
update.

contacted seller was supposed to meet up and possibly figure something out, pretty sure thats not going to happen now.

what would you guys do? whipple says they are not sure its rebuildable, but if I sand down the inperfections how less effecient will this blower be?

what would it be worth if I were to sell it explaining it's issues?

Users who are viewing this thread