Whipple+toyo R888=:)

cbarile

Established Member
I just had to share my experience with this tire, by far the most impressive and versatile tire I have ever had on my cobra. I have 600 rwp on my whippled cobra and these toyo R888 315-30-18 can almost hold 1st gear, which is insane considering my falken azenis 615k 315-30-18 would break loose in 3rd gear at 70-80 mph. This tire is just as impressive in the curves as well as straight lines. I am just in love with these tires. I just love being able to hammer 1st gear and feel myself being pushed back into my seat.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn awsome to hear! I was thinking about those next, and I'll be going whipple soon I hope!

EDIT: What are your suspension mods? I have 18x10s too. Any rubbing issues? I currently have the nitto 305/35/18

Last edited:

SBVERT03

Established Member
Those will definitely be my next rear tires! I hear nothing but good things about them

cbarile

Established Member
Damn awsome to hear! I was thinking about those next, and I'll be going whipple soon I hope!

EDIT: What are your suspension mods? I have 18x10s too. Any rubbing issues? I currently have the nitto 305/35/18

H-R springs, low profile IRS bolts, koni adjustable shocks, tru-forged wheels 18x10. I have no rubbing.
Tiresdirect.net=$582.32 for 2 shipped, cheapest I found.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
H-R springs, low profile IRS bolts, koni adjustable shocks, tru-forged wheels 18x10. I have no rubbing.
Tiresdirect.net=$582.32 for 2 shipped, cheapest I found.

Damn not a bad price, I paid that for my nittos! K I have the low profile bolts already and I have the H&R race springs but stock shocks.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
The only downside to them is the soft compound condemns the tire to a shortish life span. But then again, any supercharged cobra is going to have tires on it with short life spans. lol

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow they make a 305 as well but it cost more than the 315 by 57 bucks!

T800

Established Member
The only downside to them is the soft compound condemns the tire to a shortish life span. But then again, any supercharged cobra is going to have tires on it with short life spans. lol

I thought this as well. But, since the tire spins less, I am seeing improved wear over previous radial/DR tires. I mean think about it...Nittos are a joke compared to this tire, being able to spin them at will through 1st gear definitely has an impact on wear. Obviously in a perfect world where we all drove our cars like "normal" people, mileage may suffer compared to other tires...but, I rod the hell out of mine.

There is a huge thread on these very tires in the sticky section. I read the whole thing and people are seeing decent wear from these. This tire is ridiculous as far as traction goes. I personally will never go back to ANY other DR until there is some new compound/engineering released. I got mine about a month ago and they are the single most impressive addition/mod I have experienced in my hot rodding "career".

I try to tell people about them at my local hang out and as soon as you mention Toyo people shut their minds to the idea. To bad Les Schwab has poisoned the brand with their perpetual BS. I guess I will keep my mouth shut and enjoy the benefits. :coolman:

Glad you found them OP...I fricken' love mine!

T800

Established Member
One other thing I wanted to add...these tires run WIDE.

Nitto's are notoriously narrow for any given size, the R888's are a true 315. I run an 18x10 wheel and had to add a spacer, the IRS bolt was a non issue(stock bolts). Obviously any particular wheels offset is going to play a mojor role in fitment...all depends.

stangy2004

Established Member
I run these tires 315's. I'm close to 500 rwh and it usually breaks 1st. 2nd usually hooks. Just street driven,never been to the track.

Jefe

Established Member
The UGR Lambos and the 1400+rwhp Supras at TX2K12 were all running R888's. Somehow they get 1500rwhp to hook up

cbarile

Established Member
T800, you are so right as I only got 2300 miles outa my 315-30-18 falken azenis and that is not one burnout or track runs. They just spun all the time. The R888 were almost 2 inches wider than the falkens that were also exact same specs.

Ceanes

Established Member
Getting ready to order 315-35-17's. Might be needing them soon, my VMP TVS 2.3 just showed up today :rockon:

Chuck

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
One other thing I wanted to add...these tires run WIDE.

Nitto's are notoriously narrow for any given size, the R888's are a true 315. I run an 18x10 wheel and had to add a spacer, the IRS bolt was a non issue(stock bolts). Obviously any particular wheels offset is going to play a mojor role in fitment...all depends.

Hmm maybe I'll consider the 305/35/18 when the time comes. I don't want any clearance issues. And the proxes 305 might be wider than nittos.

50q's

Established Member
I am running the r888 about 450 and they hook. If they spin once they warm up my God hang on. Second holds like a mofo.

Users who are viewing this thread