WHIPPLE SC FOR THE 03 COBRA!!!

stangfreak

Established Member
i just can't wait for all these blowers to come out. im kinda fed up of waiting lol. i was going to order a kenne bell, but now the whipple came out and the works is coming out. some say there the same some say there different, i dont know. just have to wait:??:

either way, one of those blowers is going to be installed :rockon:

Black Chip

Established Member
KB/Whipple

Kenne Bell and Whipple were once together. I tried to attach a copy of a 1990 catalog that shows it.(yeah I save all my Mustang stuff) The cat. heading reads: THE KENNE BELL TWIN SCREW WHIPPLECHARGER KIT. Just a little history. BTW any tips for attaching files for future ref.?

JMD0346

Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
the eaton twin-screw on the ford gt and this works blower, if i'm not mistaken, and i could be, were made by the same engineers

If Im not mistaken. I think I read that lysholm bought out or joined with whipple and lysholm(whipple) designed the blower for the GT for Eaton.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Kenne Bell and Whipple sell supercharger kits.

Both use rotor packs from other companies.

KB uses Autoroter,
Whipple uses Lysholm,

The interesting part is that Autorotor has bought Lysholm. Who knows what this means for Whipple.

Usually a distributor would have some negotiated distribution agreement that would still need to be followed even after the purchase, so I would suspect that Whipple will still have a source for the base units they package into their kits.

Details of the purchase here:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6453

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
A little history lesson for everybody...can't sleep.

Fresno, California – 12 years ago, Whipple Superchargers brought the screw-type supercharger to the North American market and has since, become the leaders in screw compressor technology. Since Art Whipple, the founder, developed the first bolt on system utilizing the screw compressor, Whipple Superchargers has been regarded as the leaders of supercharging GM engines with incredible technological advancements, unsurpassed performance, OEM quality, and OEM packaging, has now signed an exclusive agreement with Lysholm Technologies and Eaton Corporation to distribute twin-screw compressors of Lysholm design to the aftermarket industry. With this agreement, Whipple Superchargers has already begun development of “bolt-on” supercharger systems for popular Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, BMW, Mercedes and Mercury Marine engines with state-of-the-art computer technology to aid in computer programming. Eaton Corporation has an exclusive contract for Lysholm compressors for OEM levels while Whipple Superchargers will handle the aftermarket industry. Whipple no longer has any involvement or association in any way to the company Kenne Bell or Kenne Bell products.

Silver 03 Cobra

It seems strange one has been seen on an 03 Cobra and they don't even have a pic on their website, only a stock 03 engine. The same pic on their website is the one we saw before the 03 hit the street. Too much contradiction on what is being said. There is no proof of anything. It used to be that people had product engineered and were past the prototype stage and had tested the product before word got out or at least close. Now some companies advertise like trailers at the end of a movie, "Coming soon". An example is Bassani actually telling people a 99/01 exhaust would not fit an 03. It's the same chassis and IRS so the mounting points hadn't changed. The heads as far as fasteners had not changed. And to top that off, I ordered a 99/01 Bassani in April of last year to arrive before my 03 arrived. It puts out just as good of numbers as the 03 exhaust that cost hundreds more. Then you have those like Eibach that just add the 03 to the part number for a 99/01 Cobra without even investigating any changes in the car. If they did then they would know that the 03 weighs 160 more pounds on the nose. Some companies are rushing product without standard engineering practices and some are drawn out of someones butt and are not truely engineered for stress, structural integrity fatigue and longevity. Sooner or later liability will sink one of these companies. They can put a disclosure that they are not responsible for damages but that's not going to work when someone gets hurt. I've seen two of the stamped out idler pulleys after they exploded. A piece of one of these would have gone right through someones skull. There is too much rush to beat the competition.

Besides that, especially if you are looking to an upgrade down the road, the last 2-3 months in issues of MM&FF and 5.0 Mustang magazines they have been installing turbos on GT's and Mach Ones with impressive gains. The Mach One made 440 rwhp at 5 psi. I'll do a turbo when I'm ready to upgrade next year. At 10 psi on a turbo you will walk right past a Whipple, KB or Works car. I watched a Supra at Rockingham a few weeks ago and yes it had twin turbos and not a single run 10.1 at well over 133. He had a new designed twin set up that was just as good as the single most run on Supras. And he did this running 1.7 60 footers. That car looked like a fighter jet taking off. Turbo is the way to go and it reduces the stresses on the engine significantly over a roots-type blower.

Last edited by a moderator:

BAD03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
It seems strange one has been seen on an 03 Cobra and they don't even have a pic on their website, only a stock 03 engine. The same pic on their website is the one we saw before the 03 hit the street. Too much contradiction on what is being said. There is no proof of anything. It used to be that people had product engineered and were past the prototype stage and had tested the product before word got out or at least close. Now some companies advertise like trailers at the end of a movie, "Coming soon". An example is Bassani actually telling people a 99/01 exhaust would not fit an 03. It's the same chassis and IRS so the mounting points hadn't changed. The heads as far as fasteners had not changed. And to top that off, I ordered a 99/01 Bassani in April of last year to arrive before my 03 arrived. It puts out just as good of numbers as the 03 exhaust that cost hundreds more. Then you have those like Eibach that just add the 03 to the part number for a 99/01 Cobra without even investigating any changes in the car. If they did then they would know that the 03 weighs 160 more pounds on the nose. Some companies are rushing product without standard engineering practices and some are drawn out of someones butt and are not truely engineered for stress, structural integrity fatigue and longevity. Sooner or later liability will sink one of these companies. They can put a disclosure that they are not responsible for damages but that's not going to work when someone gets hurt. I've seen two of the stamped out idler pulleys after they exploded. A piece of one of these would have gone right through someones skull. There is too much rush to beat the competition.

Besides that, especially if you are looking to an upgrade down the road, the last 2-3 months in issues of MM&FF and 5.0 Mustang magazines they have been installing turbos on GT's and Mach Ones with impressive gains. The Mach One made 440 rwhp at 5 psi. I'll do a turbo when I'm ready to upgrade next year. At 10 psi on a turbo you will walk right past a Whipple, KB or Works car. I watched a Supra at Rockingham a few weeks ago and yes it had twin turbos and not a single run 10.1 at well over 133. He had a new designed twin set up that was just as good as the single most run on Supras. And he did this running 1.7 60 footers. That car looked like a fighter jet taking off. Turbo is the way to go and it reduces the stresses on the engine significantly over a roots-type blower.

can i get a AMEN my brother :thumbsup: :read:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
They can put a disclosure that they are not responsible for damages but that's not going to work when someone gets hurt.

In fact, under product liability law, manufactures are strictly liable for engineering, design, and manufacturing defects. In other words, if the product fails during its intended use, the manufacturer is absolutely liable for any damages resulting there from.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Don't get me wrong Turbos are way awesome, but I think you'll find resistance from most people. What I'm saying is that it's nice to have more options to make more power without changing to a completely different type power adder than from the factory.

Keep us posted on how your turbo goes.

46stang

Established Member
i think turbos are the bomb too! BUT getting your car smogged with a turbo setup in calif. would either be impossible or cost a fortune every two years! Ive been there, done that. I hope the Whipple looks as close to the eaton on the gt 40 because that thing is a sleeper. the case looks nearly identical to the roots blower(exception being the rear inlet). i bet to the untrained eye most people wouldnt even now its a screw blower! jmho!
Leon

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Lots of great info and comments guys. It will really be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next few months.

Users who are viewing this thread