Whipple question

Goocher0310th

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a swap, except I am going to run a 2.3 Gen2 VMP. I have upgraded HE, and a larger intercooler tank. I got a new clutch Mcleod RXT a 26spline Input Shaft. Fore Level 2 dual pump system, Id1000 Injectors, BA 3000 MAF sensor, JLT Hi boost CAI. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. But like others have said to me don't skimp on the fuel system. Good luck it will be very exciting. I'm stoked. I also am going to run a 3.2 upper and stock lower. my goal is 650whp.

Rambro

Established Member
I made 714/680 with the Gen2 2.3 with a 2.60 RR Upper and stock lower. Stock intake, Stock MAF w/ MAFIa, Magnaflow Catted X, E85 of course.
Do these cars really “need” pain in the ass longtubes at 700rw?. I’ve seen your car make 700, and a few years ago a guy did LT’s before and after dyno with his stock manifolds 2.8 Kenny Bell, and it only gained like 8 hp over manifolds and off road x.

SGT MERC

Established Member
If you run LT's, to breath properly, the rest of the exhaust needs to support it. LT's won't make a difference if the rest of the exhaust is still choking it out.
Do these cars really “need” pain in the ass longtubes at 700rw?. I’ve seen your car make 700, and a few years ago a guy did LT’s before and after dyno with his stock manifolds 2.8 Kenny Bell, and it only gained like 8 hp over manifolds and off road x.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Rambro

Established Member
I have kooks headers and x pipe in my basement. I know they sound awesome, just not convinced they’ve choking the exhaust too terribly at 600~700 rear wheel. At least that’s what I tell myself to avoid dealing with installing them.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Friend of mine went 706/707 with stock logs and O/R X to 735ish with Kooks headers and mid pipe. I don't know what the rest of the graph looked like though.

I've always looked at headers as they may not be needed for say 700, but the extra flow capacity will make it easier on the engine to make that power.

PC03GT

Established Member
Friend of mine went 706/707 with stock logs and O/R X to 735ish with Kooks headers and mid pipe. I don't know what the rest of the graph looked like though.

I've always looked at headers as they may not be needed for say 700, but the extra flow capacity will make it easier on the engine to make that power.
When I was bolt on switching from bassani o/r x pipe to kooks headers I dropped 3psi and gained 35 to 40hp

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
It doesn't make much more and for me it wasn't worth the potential leaks, heat in the engine bay, install and pain when I needed to drop the trans for any reason. Maybe if I was building a MAX effort car trying to set some micro record I would consider it, but for a regular street car, it was a no for me.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I put long tubes on mine because with the engine out it was pretty easy. Doubt I would have put them on if it wasn’t. I don’t own a lift so working from jack stands would have been a giant pain in the ass

Users who are viewing this thread