Whipple Problem

HighPSI

Established Member
I've also personally seen and heard Ricky's Whipple first hand and can say without a doubt he wouldn't have sold or misled the buyer in any way. Ricky is a stand up guy and cares about the community!

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I just want to thanks everyone for putting in their $.02 and reiterating that the blower was perfectly fine prior to being shipped out. I know that sometimes it's hard to just take the word of the seller no matter how reputable they may be.

I haven't heard anything from the buyer since before this was posted originally on Monday so I'm not sure what he's decided to do at this point. I'm going to follow up with him early next week to see if there's anything I can do to help with his situation or if there's any further advice I can give him.

Thanks again, guys. :beer:

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
I bought Ricky's blower.

For anyone thinking that it's "strange" that I just now am having issues with the blower, it's because I didn't install it immediately after receiving it. I accumulated supporting mods slowly and made sure all my bases were covered before installing it. I'm not made of money.

The blower was installed correctly, everything hooked up properly, verified by my tuner. The moment I fired the car up is when this noise developed. I am not saying or even implying that this was something Ricky did maliciously whatsoever, it's just what happened. Whether it be from shipping or what, the problem exists regardless. I understand buying used is a buyer beware situation, and I am not questioning Ricky's integrity at all. He helped me get a hold of everything I needed to get the blower installed.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the blower, that's why I haven't been in contact with Ricky since this occured. The price tag from Whipple for a rebuild isn't really friendly, so money is an issue for me. I'm doing what I can to get the situation figured out on my own.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
This is the forth person I have seen in the past 6 months buy a used twin screw and it be messed up. 3 whipples and 1 kenne bell. 3 of them bearings and other snout problems. That being said few things could of cause it to go bad. Even if it was taken off correctly was it packaged correctly? If not than it would be at Sir RicCus expense. Was it put face down where the oil leaked out the snout either durning shipping or after it got to its destination. Was blower oil checked once it was installed. If oil was low or gone that could of caused problems which would not be Sir ricCus fault. Also yes sometimes these bearings just go and it was all bad timing. I really hate to see this happen since it happened to two close friends here recently. Hope yall get it worked out.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I bought Ricky's blower.

For anyone thinking that it's "strange" that I just now am having issues with the blower, it's because I didn't install it immediately after receiving it. I accumulated supporting mods slowly and made sure all my bases were covered before installing it. I'm not made of money.

The blower was installed correctly, everything hooked up properly, verified by my tuner. The moment I fired the car up is when this noise developed. I am not saying or even implying that this was something Ricky did maliciously whatsoever, it's just what happened. Whether it be from shipping or what, the problem exists regardless. I understand buying used is a buyer beware situation, and I am not questioning Ricky's integrity at all. He helped me get a hold of everything I needed to get the blower installed.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the blower, that's why I haven't been in contact with Ricky since this occured. The price tag from Whipple for a rebuild isn't really friendly, so money is an issue for me. I'm doing what I can to get the situation figured out on my own.

I would have a hard time believing an active member would knowingly sell a bad blower to another board member. The repercussions from doing that kind of thing are pretty severe around here. I can imagine your disappointment. Let me throw a few things out which may help you isolate the problem.

I imagine there was sufficient oil in the blower cases before you started the engine. True statement?

Did you change the oil?

When you inspected the blower did you see scratches on the rotors or inside walls?

Any visible damage to the outside of the blower cases or pulley?

How was it packed when it was shipped? (Don't overlook shipping damage especially with something so heavy) Did the shipping container show any signs of being dropped? The box getting dropped or even shipped "pulley side down" could damage the drive bearing. If was just shipping using "peanuts" that is not good. Imagine the weight of the blower working it's way to the bottom of the box when it comes to rest on the pulley. On a cross country trip riding in the back of a bumpy truck with 4 days worth of constant hammering could take it's toll.

Turning the drive pulley by hand. Is there even the slightest resistance, binding, rough metal siding action?

Describe the noise in detail. Is it so loud you want to shut the engine off immediately?, how long did you run it for, did it get any quieter as it got warm? It will be hard to distinguish the sound between a bad helical gear and a bad bearing but chances are its a bad bearing.

Funny as this may sound, sometimes small shards of metal may settle in the bottom of the oil sump and sit there. When the blower is turned over the metal can find its way into the drive snout where it can get caught in the bearings. Remember that 4 day trip and all the shaking the blower was subjected to.

Worst comes to worse you open up the front case and look for signs of damage. Make sure the wear marks on the gear mesh are centered and even. wiggle bearings, check races and move shafts "in & out", inspect the case and rotor seal surface.

Hope this helps.

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
I would have a hard time believing an active member would knowingly sell a bad blower to another board member. The repercussions from doing that kind of thing are pretty severe around here. I can imagine your disappointment. Let me throw a few things out which may help you isolate the problem.

I imagine there was sufficient oil in the blower cases before you started the engine. True statement?

Did you change the oil?

When you inspected the blower did you see scratches on the rotors or inside walls?

Any visible damage to the outside of the blower cases or pulley?

How was it packed when it was shipped? (Don't overlook shipping damage especially with something so heavy) Did the shipping container show any signs of being dropped? The box getting dropped or even shipped "pulley side down" could damage the drive bearing. If was just shipping using "peanuts" that is not good. Imagine the weight of the blower working it's way to the bottom of the box when it comes to rest on the pulley. On a cross country trip riding in the back of a bumpy truck with 4 days worth of constant hammering could take it's toll.

Turning the drive pulley by hand. Is there even the slightest resistance, binding, rough metal siding action?

Describe the noise in detail. Is it so loud you want to shut the engine off immediately?, how long did you run it for, did it get any quieter as it got warm? It will be hard to distinguish the sound between a bad helical gear and a bad bearing but chances are its a bad bearing.

Funny as this may sound, sometimes small shards of metal may settle in the bottom of the oil sump and sit there. When the blower is turned over the metal can find its way into the drive snout where it can get caught in the bearings. Remember that 4 day trip and all the shaking the blower was subjected to.

Worst comes to worse you open up the front case and look for signs of damage. Make sure the wear marks on the gear mesh are centered and even. wiggle bearings, check races and move shafts "in & out", inspect the case and rotor seal surface.

Hope this helps.

I'm gonna try and answer these questions in order.

-There was sufficient oil in the blower when I received it. I even checked via the Whipple manual that the correct amount was inside of it via the level in the sight glass. Checking the oil, it was fine.

- It was packed in a large box with plenty of packing peanuts, a styrofoam cradle for the snout, lots of bubble wrap, and that thick foam sheeting.

- Yes, the noise is loud enough to warrant immediately shutting it down. It sounds like metal knocking around inside the blower. When the belt is taken off, the car runs fine.

- When turning the pulley, there is absolutely zero resistance on it.

The blower is going to the High Speed Lab for a bearing rebuild and reseal. I'd rather just put this whole thing to rest at this point and accept it for what it is. I'm not accusing Rick of anything in this situation.

Last edited:

liedenfrost

Established Member
I sold a stock eaton blower to a guy on this board and the blower would not turn after he got it. The blower would turn fine after removal, but was damaged during shipping. I shipped the blower in a molded foam (Whipple box actually), but was damaged anyway. INSURE the package when shipping the blower. The guy that bought my blower got his money back because I insured it for the selling price.

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
Unfortunate, sounds like something loose ended up in the blower someplace, the other question is what, and how did it get there?

Users who are viewing this thread