Whipple Problem

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I sold my Whipple at the end of August to another member on here and apparently there's an issue with the blower. I just got a call from him about 45 minutes ago and he said that there's a scraping noise coming from the blower when at idle. He took it off and spun the rotors by hand and couldn't hear anything, but then he took the inlet off and the noise became audible.

He also verified that he couldn't hear anything when spinning the rotors by hand prior to the Whipple being installed on his Cobra.

What could this problem be? The blower only saw 15psi for it's entire life and there's only a few thousand miles on it. He verified that it's in great condition both inside and out besides the noise.

He's been told that it could possibly be a bearing. I spoke with someone at Whipple to discuss the matter with them and the gentleman I talked to stated that "...sometimes bearings just go out despite how many miles are on the blower." I asked if it would be covered under warranty and he said there's only a 12 month warranty on their products. It would be $975.00 to go through the Whipple, tear it down, and put new bearings and seals in it all the way around.

What are possible causes of the bearing failing on these blowers? The guy from Whipple said that it could have been due to being abused or over spun, having too many miles (just wear and tear), or being installed incorrectly (vac lines backwards, egr valve installed incorrectly, etc...).

I'm not the type of person to sell something that is anything besides my description of it at all (my trader rating should speak for itself). I don't think he is questioning my integrity when I say that the Whipple was perfectly fine when it was taken off of my car. I can even have multiple people and members from here on SVTP validate the condition of the blower prior to it being taken off of my car and prior to it being shipped out. I'd like to be pro-active and see if I can't narrow down the problem for him though.

I just want to help a friend figure out a problem and get everyone's $.02. :thumbsup::beer:

jEEd

Established Member
Hey everyone, I know Ricky personally as a good friend, and I've been in his car multiple times prior to the removal of his whipple. There was never any issues and it was never abused.

From my understanding, the only way i could see there being any issue with bearings is possibly the buyer didn't put the right lubrication or enough of it? The Whipple and the Kenne Bell supercharger requires any 5w/50 grade synthetic motor oil. As this is what happened with my supercharger, the seals broke and oil leaked out so my input bearings got trashed. but maybe he'll chime in and let us know.

50 Proof

Established Member
I've known Ricky for awhile now, he's a real stand up kind of guy and would never intentionally rip anyone off. I've seen Ricky's terminator a number of times and he never had any issues with the Whipple prior to removing it.

Ricky, I hope you guys figure out what the problem is and are able to get it resolved.

svt2ner

Established Member
Why did the buyer wait 3 months to tell you there was a problem. So much could have happened in that time period. If hes telling you need to pay up I wouldnt pay a dime. Just relay what the people at whipple told you with their contact info.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Sounds like what happened, happened after you sold it.

A small piece of debri's could've gotten in there and scratched the rotor's Bores and that's what is hitting now. A piece of debri's can pin itself in between the rotor tip and the case thus scratching both and creating a rubbing noise. If so then it just needs to be disassembled and sandpapered to get it back to new again.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
I've been around the car a whole lot before he removed it for the turbos and it always ran fine. It does seem wierd that you sold it so long ago and just now there's problems...

SlowSVT

Established Member
Rick, long time no hear from. Are you still with us?

To be honest I don't think this would be your responsibility. The new owner may have done something to the blower during install or operation. You didn't overspin it and if the rotors were inspected for scratches prior to the sale to the buyers satisfaction you should be in the clear. It's nice that your are trying to help him out but once it leaves your hands you have no idea what has been done to it.

$975 for new bearings and seals. That seems a bit steep for a $3000 blower.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I agree with the above posts...When I bought my KB blower used...I spun the blower by hand, inspected the rotors, and smelled the oil in the blower. I then purchased the blower. I would not be Terribly upset if the blower started making noises as the blower was bought used and that's the risk you take...
Another point is that installing these Blowers is not super simple. If you mess up on the install the situation can occur and a great condition blower can go bad quick...
Kudos to you for helping out the seller, but seems to me you have gone far enough...

kameleongt

Established Member
I know this car quite well and have seen it go from stock to what is is now. I would usually see it on a week to week thing and I never heard of the car having issues.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
The damage to the blower could have happened during shipping. If something hit the snout end of the box, it could have damaged the bearings. That's why it's always better to ship the blowers in boxes with "molded" insulation/packing in lieu of "packing peanuts"...:shrug:

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
Why did the buyer wait 3 months to tell you there was a problem. So much could have happened in that time period. If hes telling you need to pay up I wouldnt pay a dime. Just relay what the people at whipple told you with their contact info.

+ eleventy bazillion

That blower was perfect last time I saw/heard it....

When Rick's Mach was totalled there was a bunch of stuff that I wanted to buy that he woudn't sell me because the condition was just questionable....

A4BLK98SS

Established Member
I was interested in buying the blower (before we decided to have a baby instead) and it was not making any noise at all. If I had the money I would have picked it up in a heartbeat.

ret_junior

LS7 HNTR
Established Member
I've know ricky for a long time and he is the most truthful, honest, respected guy i know and he is really a great friend!!! and ricky would never ever sell a broken part or anything broken to anyone, and if it was broke he would let you know before you even bought it!!! i've bought rickys exhaust, racing seats, built trans. and haven't had a problem with any of them!!! ive bin in rickys car when he had the whipple on and it had no issues. so i hope this gets resolved and figured out!!!

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Sorry, couldn't tell you what the problem could possibly be. I would pass along the advice the Whipple rep gave to the buyer. If he wants it fixed he needs to fork over the cost to repair the blower. Sucks for the buyer, but that's part of picking up something used.. As the rep said, 'sometimes bearings go bad'. If you want a warranty, you need to purchase new and even then something can go wrong after the warranty period expires..

This brings up a good point though. I wonder if i can purchase an extended warranty through Whipple or a third party for the blower.. I'm going to call tomorrow to look into this.

Just curious, how the **** do you over spin a Whipple? would that be a 2.75 upper and a 6# lower?

ret_junior

LS7 HNTR
Established Member
Sorry, couldn't tell you what the problem could possibly be. I would pass along the advice the Whipple rep gave to the buyer. If he wants it fixed he needs to fork over the cost to repair the blower. Sucks for the buyer, but that's part of picking up something used.. As the rep said, 'sometimes bearings go bad'. If you want a warranty, you need to purchase new and even then something can go wrong after the warranty period expires..

This brings up a good point though. I wonder if i can purchase an extended warranty through Whipple or a third party for the blower.. I'm going to call tomorrow to look into this.

Just curious, how the **** do you over spin a Whipple? would that be a 2.75 upper and a 6# lower?

ya noel the blower over spins with a 2.75 upper and a 6# lower!!!:beer:

Fastback91

SVTP STOCK BULLITT
I can vouch for Ricky hes a friend of mine and i know that there wasn't a problem with the blower when he had it ..

Last edited:

CobraMac

Established Member
Saw this thread thinking I could help out and saw that Ricky posted it! That's really weird Ricky, I saw that thing before and after it was off the car and there was NO problems what-so-ever. Had to be the guy who bought it off you.

Users who are viewing this thread