whipple owners....need your help! how hot does your sc get?

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
Ok, I thought I read in here before about how the Whipples run a lot cooler to the touch than the Eatons. I thought I read about someone saying that they could touch their whipple after driving it and it wouldn't burn their hand off like the Eatons do.

So.....Took my Whippled Cobra out for a drive this evening, came home, popped the hood and stuck my hand on it. It could only be held down for about 3 seconds before I had to pull back. I never did this test with my Eaton to compare....but 3 seconds seems pretty short of a time for someone to say that it was cool enough to keep your hand on it.

Anyone have any input. I'm I going nuts thinking that someone said that at one time? This is a good excuse for you to take your Terminator out for a quick 15 minute spin around the neighborhood!

Let me know! Thanks!

P.S. Finally scheduled for dyno tuning on Friday! Will post up the results ASAP!

Fang

Established Member
It is going to get hot as well. They run cooler but it is not going to be an ice box. There is still a lot of friction going on there. Hope that helps.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
Depends on the hand that is touching it. If you pump a lot of iron you wont feel shit bro cause your hands will have calluses and dead skin.

whippleblown03

Established Member
i think they feel just about the same to the touch! my whipple is hot after a drive! all the engine heat just soaks into everthing. dont sweat it. its normal. plus the extra ponies you making i am sure there will be a little more heat :thumbsup:

03TKTGTR

Established Member
I saw the same thing with my K.B.
After I had my Eaton ported it was easy to touch it after a long run & would be warm but NOT hot.
My Bell though is hotter than all hell after just 15 mins of driving...
I have the extreme heat exchanger, extreme radiator, larger overflow tank for the charger, CDC cooling mod & it's STILL WAY hotter.
What gives? :fm:

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
03silversvt said:
Depends on the hand that is touching it. If you pump a lot of iron you wont feel shit bro cause your hands will have calluses and dead skin.

I lift 5 days a week (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat) quite heavy....has no effect on how long I can keep my hand on the Whipple.

Thanks for all the replies! I can relax knowing that my Whipple doesn't have a cooling problem like I thought it might have regarding the heat. Common sense told me that it would get hot....even if the heat wasn't sourced by the Whipple, it would still get hot simply by being bolted up to the engine and all of the heat trying to transfer evenly to all the touching metal surfaces.

Good info to know and just wanted to be sure. I love this site! Everyone helps out quick and has all the answers :thumbsup:

TEABG

Banned
WOLFGANGSTA said:
Ok, I thought I read in here before about how the Whipples run a lot cooler to the touch than the Eatons. I thought I read about someone saying that they could touch their whipple after driving it and it wouldn't burn their hand off like the Eatons do.

So.....Took my Whippled Cobra out for a drive this evening, came home, popped the hood and stuck my hand on it. It could only be held down for about 3 seconds before I had to pull back. I never did this test with my Eaton to compare....but 3 seconds seems pretty short of a time for someone to say that it was cool enough to keep your hand on it.

Anyone have any input. I'm I going nuts thinking that someone said that at one time? This is a good excuse for you to take your Terminator out for a quick 15 minute spin around the neighborhood!

Let me know! Thanks!

P.S. Finally scheduled for dyno tuning on Friday! Will post up the results ASAP!

"I DID LOL" !!! I have a 3.5" pulley though.................... :thumbsup:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I don't want to come across as negative but ... that is not going to be very good test with any real meaning. The external case temps just are not going to tell you that much...

I think what might be more helpful... would be some replies that include the IAT-2 readings and at what boost pressure and ambient air temps(IAT)...

That is where our bread gets buttered!!! :rockon:

If the boost is up there... and the IAT2s remain in line or reasonably so...

Then the timing stays in the tune and the power stays up... :thumbsup:

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
I agree with you 100% regarding the air temps that the engine will actually "see". I was mainly just concerned that possibly my heat exchanger and coolant tank weren't working properly or if there was an internal bearing problem on the Whipple. Again, just going off of an old memory that someone said you could keep your hand on a heated up Whipple.

Thanks for the detailed info and clarifying things too!

Users who are viewing this thread