Whipple Inlet ??

gx00850

Established Member
Maybe you guys can help me make a decision. I currently have a whipple 2.3 (Gen II) with the stock tb inlet (dual).

I am considering swapping the inlet to single blade oval inlet for aftermarket throttle bodies. My question is this - Is it worth the $600 for the new inlet? Any guesses on how much hp I could gain with the new inlet and a BF throttle body?

Any inputs or experiences would be very appreciated. Thanks

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
It would really depend on how much air your moving through it. Are you using the stock pulley configuration or do you plan on upping the boost?
If you don't plan on spinning the blower much faster than the stock 3.5" pulley, I'd leave it be. If you are planning on spinning it up over 15 psi, I'd think you'd start to see benefits from the inlet since its less of a bottle neck.
Have you checked to see if anyone can port your inlet or cut it to make it a single blade? That might not be as pricey, then again it might be more, you just have to check into it.

There are also rumors that there will be a crusher type inlet made for the 2.3L some time soon. I'd wait on that, rather than paying $600 for the stock Whipple inlet and then another $400 or so on a TB.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If the IAC opening is in the same place I can make it a sbtb for you. A lot cheaper than that also. Anybody got pic's of both inlets? That's all we need.

gx00850

Established Member
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I am running 15 psi now, but plan on going to 17 psi. I have asked Stieg if he could port the twin body out, but I have not heard back. I just have to believe the twin body inlet is a restriction at those psi.

I live in Atlanta and have been following the "Behemoth" inlet development. They completed testing on a car running 19 psi (I think) and there were no gains. Now they are testing it with a different CAI and twin 75mm TB, but that will require a slot style MAF, fuel rails, new IAT sensor, new IAC valve, and of course the 75mm throttle body. The total cost would be more than the supercharger.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
$200 tops. There's my quote. If I do it and I gotta raise the price I'll adjust afterwards. If it takes less time then you won't get charged the $200.

You could put a Dragon on it and then run the Dragon's IAC off the bottom of the throttle body. That way there's no IAC issue. Just put a plate on the top of the plenum. Then while I have it I can clearance the inside of it so the throttle blade has room to pivot.

Last edited:

gx00850

Established Member
Thanks Posi, I know there are a ton more guys in the same boat as me. Maybe we could work some testing out? Do the pics below help?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The only problem I can see is the "air gap" for the IAC in the middle/top of the intake face. Other than that, they look like the same dam thing aside from the divider in the middle of the top one.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I can check on the centerlines for the bolts no problem at all tomorrow. They should be the same though.

Don't worry about the IAC's hole because if you use the Dragon with the IAC on the bottom then you don't need it anyways. I'll charge you for the milling of the material in the middle but not clearancing the inlet for the throttle blade to pivot.

Dragon Performance Parts

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The stock mass air will be a restriction before the throttle body. If you have outflowed the 90 mm mass air then the TB would be next.

Until then I say stick with a stock or ported stock TB.

fr03cobra

Established Member
[ame=http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134594]Whipple 2.3 Behemoth Inlet Pictures - ModularFords.com[/ame]

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
The stock mass air will be a restriction before the throttle body. If you have outflowed the 90 mm mass air then the TB would be next.

Agreed but if he wants it is why I was saying what I was. Some people just want the tip in throttle response and don't want to second guess if the stocker is holding them back. On the Eaton's I don't recommend a sbtb until 520hp.

Your probably right Kev, I really don't know what the CFM ratings are on the stock TB vs. the 90mm MAF.

If you want your stock tb ported let me know.:-D Lol.

gx00850

Established Member

Yea, the purpose was to eliminate the restriction in the inlet due to the dual inlet. The TB was really just an add on feature. I have a larger mass air to help things flow.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I hear you. "gnxs" over on ModFords has been running an old W2300AX Whipple and stock ported TB for years and still runs mid 10's with over 100K on the motor!
[ame=http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120485]108,7xx Stock Longblock - New 1/4 Bests - ModularFords.com[/ame]

I don't think it's as big a restriction as everyone makes it out to be.

I would have Posi port a stock one for you. :thumbsup:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Man I didn't know he was running a ported stocker!:eek: Wow.
Yeah. He and "xtremejc" were the reason I kept my stock TB and just ported it with my Whipple.

I didn't want to have any driveability issues and mid 10's would be more than I would ever want anyway.

gx00850

Established Member
I hear you. "gnxs" over on ModFords has been running an old W2300AX Whipple and stock ported TB for years and still runs mid 10's with over 100K on the motor!
108,7xx Stock Longblock - New 1/4 Bests - ModularFords.com

I don't think it's as big a restriction as everyone makes it out to be.

I would have Posi port a stock one for you. :thumbsup:

That is interesting....Posi you have done more research than most everyone else. What kind of gains would I get by porting out the twin blade inlet and a dragon TB @ 17 psi?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yeah. He and "xtremejc" were the reason I kept my stock TB and just ported it with my Whipple.

I didn't want to have any driveability issues and mid 10's would be more than I would ever want anyway.

I never knew that.

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread