Whipple Gen5 install help

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
What are guys doing here? I'm thinking I put two studs in here and then once the blower is on fasten them down with nuts. The other intake manifold bolts will be just that. I noticed the Gen5 is notched out on the back and I'm thinking it's for 2 studs to go back there instead of bolts.
A700D536-0CE6-40F5-8641-C3446403B01F.jpeg
A78C783B-0986-497B-AB59-EED5CCA1AF5A.jpeg

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
How exciting. I have my Gen 5 sitting in the garage awaiting install. Im being lazy on my decision on stand alone and injectors. Can't wait to see what the difference in power is. I'm upgrading from a 3.4 like yourself.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah I've been slowly picking away at the install. I went to drop the blower on the intake manifold last night and came across that. Do people put studs back there or something?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Why can't you just thread the bolts in a couple turns then slide the blower on? Whipple is pretty good with the fasteners. I imagine if there were supposed to be studs there they would be included with the kit.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I tried that but the intercooler is so big it won't let me. I THINK 2 studs back there is the only logical explanation but was just trying to make sure

01yellercobra

Established Member
It probably works with the stock intercooler. Studs might be your best bet. Will you be able to get the nuts on with the blower in place?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
It probably works with the stock intercooler. Studs might be your best bet. Will you be able to get the nuts on with the blower in place?
Oh yeah absolutely, I'll have to use a ratcheting wrench to fasten them down but no biggy. But yeah I'm thinking 2 studs will be perfect, maybe use a couple of washers with some blue loctite.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I tried, I think it didn't work because of the new bigger VMP intercooler like @01yellercobra was saying. I just got some M8-1.25 all thread and custom made some studs and used a washer and locking washer. Worked perfectly

03' White Snake

Established Member
I tried, I think it didn't work because of the new bigger VMP intercooler like @01yellercobra was saying. I just got some M8-1.25 all thread and custom made some studs and used a washer and locking washer. Worked perfectly
The intercooler bolts to the bottom of the blower, not the lower intake. Larger intercooler should have no impact on the blower bolting to the lower intake as long as the intercooler does not bottom out inside the lower.

Is the lower flange on the whipple thicker than the previous blower?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The intercooler bolts to the bottom of the blower, not the lower intake. Larger intercooler should have no impact on the blower bolting to the lower intake as long as the intercooler does not bottom out inside the lower.

Is the lower flange on the whipple thicker than the previous blower?
I think the newer VMP's have a thicker flange. Probably drops it just enough to not get enough angle to slide under the bolts.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Interesting that the bypass is hooked up to a vacuum source and not the blower plate so it sees vacume or boost. Am I missing something?
Wow you know what I noticed that too on my Gen5 today and thought that was weird. Good catch! Should I re-route that to the boost reference??

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Wow you know what I noticed that too on my Gen5 today and thought that was weird. Good catch! Should I re-route that to the boost reference??

I would say factory hook up would be correct I'm just wondering how that would work because clearly it's strickly vcum port unless I'm missing something. How the heck does the bypass close if it only sees vacuum lol.?

olympic

Established Member
I would say factory hook up would be correct I'm just wondering how that would work because clearly it's strickly vcum port unless I'm missing something. How the heck does the bypass close if it only sees vacuum lol.?

Vacuum holds the bypass valve open. When the throttle plate opens, vacuum goes to 0 and there's a spring inside the the actuator that closes the bypass valve. Connecting the bypass to a port that sees vacuum and boost works too and the boost pressure just helps the spring keep the bypass valve closed.

willis414

Established Member
I used 1/8 pneumatic push lock connectors on all boost reference lines. You can find them on Amazon. I had and have alot of the fittings and lines already in my shop, I did need to find some fittings that I needed and everything was on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread