Whipple Gen 5 3.0 stock motor power

3lite

Hey guys

I have a quick question which does bug me. I want to upgrade my stock supercharger to Whipple Gen 5 3.0. It has 2.76 pulley atm, basani exhaust and other minor upgrades and made 473 rwhp according to the previous owner.

Now, can someone tell me what kind of power can I expect from Whipple Gen 5 3.0 on stock motor with lets say 3.75 or 3.50 pulley on 93 pump gas? I don't plan to make any other changes, just basic p&p install and tuning.

Is it worth to pay more than for example Whipple Gen 4 2.9? Is there any actual increase on the same boost level? (about 18-20 psi I would expect).

3lite

I am not going E85. I just want the best power I can get out of stock motor on 93 pump gas without any further modifications.

2.9 is certainly cheaper than 3.0, but the second is expected "to make more power at the same boost level". I'm not sure how valid this statement is though, especially on lower values such as maximum of 18-20 psi of boost for stock motor.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Both the 3.0 and 2.9 are great blowers. I have tuned a 3.0 with a built motor that made 754 on 93 with a conservative tune. Your limiting factor is octane.

Both are capable of making around the same at 18 psi. It's all weather you want to spend the extra $$$ now in case you ever want to increase octane and turn it up. Then the 3.0 will win.

robvas

Established Member
Both the 3.0 and 2.9 are great blowers. I have tuned a 3.0 with a built motor that made 754 on 93 with a conservative tune. Your limiting factor is octane.

Was that still a 4.6 or a 5.soemthing?

Isn't the big deal with the Coyotes and the 3.0 the new bigger IC design? That didn't make it to the Cobra 3.0's right? Don't see where it would be located.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I first ran my 2.9 at 18psi on 91 octane. It just cleared 600rwhp on a really conservative tune. I had plans to run E85 though. Which I currently am. But if I had never planned on running E85 I would have gone with a 2.3.

3lite

I do appreciate all responses. In my case further increase in octane will never happen simply because we don't have gas stations with E85 in Poland. That being the case, the car must be street capable where you can get fuel basically anywhere, so 93 it is. I don't use 91 in any of my boosted cars.

It's interesting that you suggested 2.3 since it's even cheaper and I wouldn't mind that certainly:

It should work fine with stock TB and JLT intake. I hope to make around 650 rwhp or even a bit more and that would certainly satisfy me.

PC03GT

Established Member
I do appreciate all responses. In my case further increase in octane will never happen simply because we don't have gas stations with E85 in Poland. That being the case, the car must be street capable where you can get fuel basically anywhere, so 93 it is. I don't use 91 in any of my boosted cars.

It's interesting that you suggested 2.3 since it's even cheaper and I wouldn't mind that certainly:

It should work fine with stock TB and JLT intake. I hope to make around 650 rwhp or even a bit more and that would certainly satisfy me.
You want the single blade throttle body, like an accufab or billetflow

TP03

Established Member

Welcome to SVTP
Slippery slope bud
Just so you're aware that the stock fuel system is going to be holding you back from your goals. Also, 650 on 93 with a 2.3 just won't happen. The cheapest route to touch even 600rwhp on 93 is gonna be 60lb injectors, boost-a-pump, and new MAF.

hatchke

Established Member
I made around 650whp on my Gen 2 2.9 on almost 20psi w/ longtubes. You'll need to address at least part of the fueling system, supporting mods and also run a good bit of boost to make 650+ on 93. The one exception might be the 3.0, but I don't know if i'd spend the money if I wasn't going to do a full return fuel system, E85, etc.

wckdvnm

Established Member
As kevin aka @04sleeper said. The 3.0 is a lot of money for 93. The gen 3 2.3 whipple makes more than the older gen (1-2) 2.3’s.
IF you can find yourself a 2.3 tvs and get it rebuilt and ported it will most likely make more than the 2.3 whipple marginally. The issue I have with making a for sure statement on either 2.3 is there is very minimal info on the ported 2.3 tvs vs 2.3 gen 3 whipple out there for these cars. People simply moved on once the gen 4 2.9 whipple was released.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

wckdvnm

Established Member
Was that still a 4.6 or a 5.soemthing?

Isn't the big deal with the Coyotes and the 3.0 the new bigger IC design? That didn't make it to the Cobra 3.0's right? Don't see where it would be located.

People have made 1k rwhp out of a head stud and cam unopened block with the 3.0L on the factory intercooler brick. The 3.0 aka the gen 5’s have a new rotor profile and makes them more efficient.

All of the newer record cobras run the 3.0 whipple and ported heads helps the blower really shine.
It’s highly doubtful we would ever get a self contained IC/blower combo as these cars just get what they get.

I am sure moving to the VMP intercooler is equivalent to the 3.0 self contained units as it’s surface area is much larger than factory and actually allows the air to discharge across the entire brick. Unlike factory garret units which some blowers would hit a hard wall as the discharge hole and the lower section would be not perfectly lined up. This is rather hard to describe you’d have to see the video VMP made talking about the changes they made to the shape.

Users who are viewing this thread