whipple 4.0 guys/ motor specs?

shelbyman1

Established Member
what do you whipple 4.0 guys have done to your engines?

Fox lake says the stock valve guides and valves need replaced and are junk?

mmr makes a nice rotating assembly for only $2K....

shelby mark

Established Member
what do you whipple 4.0 guys have done to your engines?

Fox lake says the stock valve guides and valves need replaced and are junk?

mmr makes a nice rotating assembly for only $2K....

pretty sure the guys at Leathel performance are the 4.0 guys.
You might try TASCA , his 4.0 cobra jet moves along quite well.
i tricked out my heads, bigger valves and titanium guides, works really well with my KB 4.2

StangSupremacy

Established Member
I have been running the 4.0 on a stock block for a while now. I am looking at my alternatives to see if I want to trade someone for a smaller blower, or build an engine to handle it (not the likely option, don’t see myself spending $5-10k between an engine and fuel system).

I would like to know what would be necessary to take it to the next level.

shelbyman1

Established Member
I have been running the 4.0 on a stock block for a while now. I am looking at my alternatives to see if I want to trade someone for a smaller blower, or build an engine to handle it (not the likely option, don’t see myself spending $5-10k between an engine and fuel system).

u must not beat the car much with a stock bottom ended car and a 4.0! I'll trade you a polished whipple 3.4

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
running a 4.0 on my 2010 with the ford racing iron shortblock...crower cams, upgraded springs and retainers but heads are otherwise just mildly cleaned up....depending on boost level you will max out the stock fuel system pretty easily imo around 750rwhp...i went to the jpc triple 400lph system, a SCJ 140mm Maf and Inlet Tube...car makes 25-26psi, i run c16 and have gone 9.77 a tad over 145mph....not sure what the iron shortblock is worth these days but i got mine with new head gaskets from ford racing shipped to ups depot for $2950 in December 2011...if you keep it simple and can get a good deal on labour you can get it stronger and capable of handling serious power on the cheap....

red gt500

Established Member
am not a 4.0 guy but I have the 3.6 kb
my engine has mmr rotation assembly(mmr 2500r pistons ..manly h beem rods..celloge crank shaft ...mmr oil pump ..arp hardware )and also a stage 3 comp cams
stock heads and stock valve guides and valves

at 26 psi 994 rwhp and its looking for more :)

red gt500

Established Member

manly pistons manly h beem rod and oil pump
and your engine will be ready

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
L&M Built short block
L&M Desgined Diamond Pistons
Manley Rods
ARP2000 hardware
Cometic head gaskets
Cobra Jet Crank - Double key'd
IW stock size damper
Ford GT Cams w/ upgraded springs
TSS Billet Oil Pump gears
Fore/Lethal return - triple pump fuel system
168# injectors

21# w/ 3.875 pulley - 775whp on a Mustang Dyno - trapped 139 with a crap 60'

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
To take advantage of the 4.0L, you'll definitely need to go through the short block and add rods and pistons. The stock crank is fine, and the heads are fine, but you will need springs for sure if you plan to run serious boost with aftermarket cams or even stock cams. Depending on your goals, the 2.9L is realistically the best option for a street car. Give us a call if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

rdsnk46

Established Member
am not a 4.0 guy but I have the 3.6 kb
my engine has mmr rotation assembly(mmr 2500r pistons ..manly h beem rods..celloge crank shaft ...mmr oil pump ..arp hardware )and also a stage 3 comp cams
stock heads and stock valve guides and valves

at 26 psi 994 rwhp and its looking for more :)

You ever go to the drag strip? ET's?

Blackmax

Established Member
I didn't test it yet on the track i have some issues with the clutch and fuel system that I need to address first

Stupid fuel system on these cars makes it tough to do anything over 750 h.p. because one little thing goes wrong and poof. I like the 4.0 Whipple idea because it doesn't have to work as hard but has anyone ever figured out the parasitic loss?

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Stupid fuel system on these cars makes it tough to do anything over 750 h.p. because on little thing goes wrong and poof. I like the 4.0 Whipple idea because it doesn't have to work as hard but has anyone ever figured out the parasitic loss?

Depends on the blower speed.

I thought I had a email from Whipple on the power needed to spin it, but I can find it, the number 200 hp @ 18-20 psi sticks in my mind. :shrug:

Blackmax

Established Member
Depends on the blower speed.

I thought I had a email from Whipple on the power needed to spin it, but I can find it, the number 200 hp @ 18-20 psi sticks in my mind. :shrug:

There must be a guideline that shows the proper size blower to achieve ideal h.p. for a particular motor.

StangSupremacy

Established Member
u must not beat the car much with a stock bottom ended car and a 4.0! I'll trade you a polished whipple 3.4

Thats the thing that worries me, i do beat on it occasionally and i am worried about blowing the motor and being stuck with a huge bill. I would definitely like to look into possibly swapping blowers. PM me.

manly pistons manly h beem rod and oil pump
and your engine will be ready

How much $ do you think that would cost for parts and labor separately? i am debating this internally because the 4.0 whipple is begging for at least mid 20's in boost.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
parts for a rods/pistons - probably around 1700-4000 depending on what you go with (2000 is realistic for 1000 hp rating)

you want new hardware too

are you going to assemble it?

all in a good short block will run you $5000-6000 assembled - not installed.

FRPP has a decent set up for around $3200-3400 - swap that and sell your stock s/b - if you are looking to stay on the low end.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...0/779962-ford-racing-short-block-god-bad.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread