Whipple 3.4 over Kenne Bell 2.8 specifically for my cars setup

Jakeyboy696

Established Member
I know this was already another thread but this is just specifically for my cars set up. I have a built 03 Cobra ported heads 60# injectors twin Ford GT fuel pumps fore fuel rails ported intake bored .020 with CP dished pistons 8.2:1 with a new crank. Pretty much the car is ready for serious Boost and the factory ported eaton is maxxed at 498rwhp and 526rwtq with the current setup The car was built for a bigger blower but the owner sold it in search of another project before that happened. Which is my best bet for making the most power im already running 17lbs with 2.80" upper and 4lb lower. If I did a Whipple 3.4 it would be with a 3.75" upper to clear the hood and that would put me at like 24lbs of boost and over 700hp and tq to the wheels easily but if I ever want to detune it for whatever reason, I have to notch the hood for the 4" upper and thats still 21lbs of boost. What kind of numbers would I be looking at with a Kenne Bell 2.8 and what kind of boost would be run to make similar numbers or close to it.

mach1033

Established Member
You have to upgrade to 80lb injectors and then get a GT500 BAP that runs 2 FPDM's. Either blower will be great to be honest. You could also get the 2.9 with crusher set up and you will have zero issues with clearence and with a 4lb lower and stock upper you will be in the 24lbs of boost range and you will be knocking at 800's door if not more.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
You have to upgrade to 80lb injectors and then get a GT500 BAP that runs 2 FPDM's. Either blower will be great to be honest. You could also get the 2.9 with crusher set up and you will have zero issues with clearence and with a 4lb lower and stock upper you will be in the 24lbs of boost range and you will be knocking at 800's door if not more.

+1.....except skip the bap and do triple pumps.

Jakeyboy696

Established Member
For the love of god no!! If you want 24psi+ the 3.4L would be best. 18-24psi then the 2.8LC or 2.9L. I would try and get the bigger inlet if possible.

Ive read a bunch about the 2.8LC having warping issues because the cooling system just wasnt stable enough with temperatures inlet to outlet or was this resolved or do you still have to purchase the sleeves

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I know this was already another thread but this is just specifically for my cars set up. I have a built 03 Cobra ported heads 60# injectors twin Ford GT fuel pumps fore fuel rails ported intake bored .020 with CP dished pistons 8.2:1 with a new crank. Pretty much the car is ready for serious Boost and the factory ported eaton is maxxed at 498rwhp and 526rwtq with the current setup The car was built for a bigger blower but the owner sold it in search of another project before that happened. Which is my best bet for making the most power im already running 17lbs with 2.80" upper and 4lb lower. If I did a Whipple 3.4 it would be with a 3.75" upper to clear the hood and that would put me at like 24lbs of boost and over 700hp and tq to the wheels easily but if I ever want to detune it for whatever reason, I have to notch the hood for the 4" upper and thats still 21lbs of boost. What kind of numbers would I be looking at with a Kenne Bell 2.8 and what kind of boost would be run to make similar numbers or close to it.

What are your goals for the car? Dyno warrior? show car? Just a weekend car you can drive and have fun?

Either blower if you plan to push it will require a "large" inlet either the Mammoth or the Crusher. The 2.9 is also an excellent option that is out there. I have yet to see someone push it to the moon though.....

Juiced46 did a comparison between two cars that had the same mods almost and 3.4 whipple and 2.8H KB, noth regular inlets and they made within 5HP of each other, both around 25psi. So its a tossup....I say if you plan on a track oriented combo, go with something bigger, otherwise your just saying heyyyyyyyyy look at my big huffer, looks cool huh?

60's will work @ 750whp no issues, I have done it for a couple of years @ 40psi base pressure.

If your taking the time and want to step it up I would go return. I have modded my car in returnless fashion since 2003, and Ive raced it no less than 50 track passes per year since then. I finally stepped up to return for 2011 and I can honestly say it was the best thing I have done to the car. Its just a better operating system all the way around, no questions asked.

For the love of god no!! If you want 24psi+ the 3.4L would be best. 18-24psi then the 2.8LC or 2.9L. I would try and get the bigger inlet if possible.

That is my thought also, I like my 2.8H and you probably like your, but there is a reason why Whipple's are on everything that are setting records right now. Although I have the 6spd, IRS, all boost record, doesnt mean I couldnt go faster on a 3.4 whipple. rtusnake had went 9.50@146 on a 3.4 whipple before he tore it down with a 6speed and solid axle. You have harold who run 9.0's @ 149 on a 3.4 (NON CRUSHER!!)

Good Luck with whatever you choose, I would say lean towards a 2.9 whipple with a crusher....thats just me.

Jakeyboy696

Established Member
What are your goals for the car? Dyno warrior? show car? Just a weekend car you can drive and have fun?

Either blower if you plan to push it will require a "large" inlet either the Mammoth or the Crusher. The 2.9 is also an excellent option that is out there. I have yet to see someone push it to the moon though.....

Juiced46 did a comparison between two cars that had the same mods almost and 3.4 whipple and 2.8H KB, noth regular inlets and they made within 5HP of each other, both around 25psi. So its a tossup....I say if you plan on a track oriented combo, go with something bigger, otherwise your just saying heyyyyyyyyy look at my big huffer, looks cool huh?

60's will work @ 750whp no issues, I have done it for a couple of years @ 40psi base pressure.

If your taking the time and want to step it up I would go return. I have modded my car in returnless fashion since 2003, and Ive raced it no less than 50 track passes per year since then. I finally stepped up to return for 2011 and I can honestly say it was the best thing I have done to the car. Its just a better operating system all the way around, no questions asked.

That is my thought also, I like my 2.8H and you probably like your, but there is a reason why Whipple's are on everything that are setting records right now. Although I have the 6spd, IRS, all boost record, doesnt mean I couldnt go faster on a 3.4 whipple. rtusnake had went 9.50@146 on a 3.4 whipple before he tore it down with a 6speed and solid axle. You have harold who run 9.0's @ 149 on a 3.4 (NON CRUSHER!!)

Good Luck with whatever you choose, I would say lean towards a 2.9 whipple with a crusher....thats just me.

My goal is to be one mean ass street machine that runs down ZR1's and almost anything and everything exotic. I definitely want to be at or over 700 to the wheels. I doubt i will track it and if i do im not going to launch it since i love my car being in operating conditions (i.e. broken halfshafts) I might take it on a road course at Gateway in Saint Louis but nothing serious just for a fun ride. Just looking for high numbers out of a practical street car and i also owuld love to have the loudest blower whine (2.8KB) but i was under the assumption that bigger blower runs same hp numbers at lower boost which means KB would have to run higher boost to match? and im just trying to keep my boost in safe levels even tho the car is built again i like it running

Last edited:

vadorsnake04

Established Member
If you are going to run that low of boost all the time with that low of compression then this big of a blower is not for you, you would be golden with a whipple 2.3. If you start running 20+psi then i would run a bigger blower. But if you run it like you are talking about your torque will be terrible.

04torchred

Established Member
If your static compression is already 8.2:1 and you have aftermarket cams(??? Do you) then you are going to have a very low Dynamic compression.

With that said its going to take boost to make power and you can probably run a bit higher number then most people with stock longblocks just because the cams and lower compression will drop your dynamic.

With that said don't consider a 2.3L whipple... too small for the blower rpms you are going to need to turn to get the power up. If you had 10:1 compression my answer would be different. You are going to need blower rpms to make the power and we all know that as you spin the smaller blowers harder they just make more and more heat. Not a good thing.

I would said go with a 2.9L with a crusher.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
If your static compression is already 8.2:1 and you have aftermarket cams(??? Do you) then you are going to have a very low Dynamic compression.

With that said its going to take boost to make power and you can probably run a bit higher number then most people with stock longblocks just because the cams and lower compression will drop your dynamic.

With that said don't consider a 2.3L whipple... too small for the blower rpms you are going to need to turn to get the power up. If you had 10:1 compression my answer would be different. You are going to need blower rpms to make the power and we all know that as you spin the smaller blowers harder they just make more and more heat. Not a good thing.

I would said go with a 2.9L with a crusher.

I would agree except for the fact that he stated what boost he was planning on running. So a 2.9 is big for that low of boost that he wants to run.

04torchred

Established Member
I would agree except for the fact that he stated what boost he was planning on running. So a 2.9 is big for that low of boost that he wants to run.

His idea of what boost to run may change is what I mean. He will have lower dynamic compression so he will need to run more or he won't hit his goals. More of the people on here need to stop using boost as the judging factor, there is lots to the combo that effects what you can run.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
His idea of what boost to run may change is what I mean. He will have lower dynamic compression so he will need to run more or he won't hit his goals. More of the people on here need to stop using boost as the judging factor, there is lots to the combo that effects what you can run.

Ya that is a good point.

04torchred

Established Member
Ya that is a good point.

Like 03steve has a bad ass 2.3L Whipple setup. What he can't flow in terms of air from the blower his 2.5 points of compression helps a bunch, but then he is limited to what boost he can run on pump gas.

Give and take I guess you just have to play with the numbers on paper.

I think a 2.9L for the poster would be a nice happy blower. More lungs then a 2.3L so if he has to run up the blower rpms it will move more air and hopefully not turn into a big heat pump.

Jakeyboy696

Established Member
im already running 17psi i plan on running over 20 if i blower swap but i can really only run 19ish on pump gas. I would just rather be closer to 20 then 30 is what i meant. A whipple 3.4 would be running closer to 20 while a 2.8h KB would run closer to 25+ to make same power. I dont really want to cross the 24psi mark.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread