Whipple 2.3 vs 3.4

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
New question. the 3.4 blower or the 2.3 blower. hmmm
i was wondering if there would be an advantage to just getting the bigger one, the cost difference (including the fuel rails) is only like $500.
alot of people are running the 3.0 pulley on their 2.3 and producing 600+/- with 17lbs boost.. but im thinking thats a pretty agressive tune.

i was wondering if the 3.4 would produce the same hp, but with a safe tune and less boost (i mean.. its logical) with that in mind, im thinking you could get a 3.4 to produce 600 with maybe just 15 lbs but tuned safely for DD. but then again, is the pulley on a 3.4 to produce only 15lbs gonna be the size of a dinner plate and not fit?!?!

anybody have some expierence with this?
:shrug:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
id go with the bigger blower, less boost and same power. Reason being, is that boost (psi) is what puts more strain on the motor. Plus with a larger blower barely working its fullest, itll pull to redline; a smaller unit working its hardest will get boost drop up top. Also with twin-screws, less boost is less heat, which is also beneficial.

I know a local who has a 3.4L and a 3.5" pulley and support, but with some custom cams he put down 640whp or something like that.

Given you are tuned correctly for the type of driving you do, the 3.4L would be the better setup.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
The the OP, I have wondered the same exact thing...I hear that the 2.3 is more practical for the DD type, however, I would love to be 600/600 easy on a conservative tune and I would hate to make a mistake when I decide to take the leap to go whipple...so I am subscribing...

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'd go big if I did it again. The price difference now is very little. If you get the 2.3 and want the 3.4 you'll take a bath on selling your 2.3 money wise. Plus a 3.4 on low boost won't have any driving issues. Then you can crank it up when you want. Or if your motor blows for some reason you won't have to grow into a bigger blower. You know you'd upgrade the engine to handle more power and the blower will already be there.

svt2ner

Established Member
With the 3.4 Im pretty positive you need to cut out your hood for the pulley, drive with no hood, or get a different hood. So keep that in mind.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Bigger isn't always better. I belive running a bigger blower at lower speeds/psi will cause your lower rpm torque/power numbers to suffer. Your peak power number on the 3.4 may be 600+, but I think the power/torque curve on the 2.3 may show better numbers throughout the powerband. You also have to consider that you may need to modify/replace the stock hood to fit the bigger pulley on the 3.4 supercharger required to achieve 15 pounds of boost. I would be very interested in seeing side by side dyno sheets of a stock motor with a 3.4 and a 2.3 at 17-18 psi and see what the graphs look like.

Ultimately, you have to figure out what your final goal is; if it's a built motor with a 3.4 running over 17 psi then get the 3.4, if your happy with a stock motor running up to 17-18 psi then you may be better off going with a 2.3. The 3.4 really shines when spun higher than 17-18 psi anything below that is a waste. The 2.3 shines up to 17-18 psi before heat starts to become an issue.

LS1_KILLA

Banned
Bigger isn't always better. I belive running a bigger blower at lower speeds/psi will cause your lower rpm torque/power numbers to suffer. Your peak power number on the 3.4 may be 600+, but I think the power/torque curve on the 2.3 may show better numbers throughout the powerband. You also have to consider that you may need to modify/replace the stock hood to fit the bigger pulley on the 3.4 supercharger required to achieve 15 pounds of boost. I would be very interested in seeing side by side dyno sheets of a stock motor with a 3.4 and a 2.3 at 17-18 psi and see what the graphs look like.

Ultimately, you have to figure out what your final goal is; if it's a built motor with a 3.4 running over 17 psi then get the 3.4, if your happy with a stock motor running up to 17-18 psi then you may be better off going with a 2.3. The 3.4 really shines when spun higher than 17-18 psi anything below that is a waste. The 2.3 shines up to 17-18 psi before heat starts to become an issue.

This guy is dead on. :beer:
The 3.4 is a better idea if your going to be running high boost. If you are going to be running more conservative boost, then the 2.3 is your friend. 13-19 psi = 2.3, 20+ = 3.4

The 2.3 has a better lower boost curve. The 3.4 definitely has more top end, and running a 3.4 at say 17# vs a 2.3 at 17#, the 3.4 will have a higher peak number, but throughout the curve the 2.3 will have higher numbers. Simply put, unless you'd be running from a 150 kick, the 2.3 car would be faster. Now you change those pullies and run say 23# (on a built motor), the 3.4 is the obvious choice. Lower IAT's, more efficent. The 3.4 is overkill for a stock motored conservative car.

TermySnake

Established Member

I totally aree with him^^ 3.4 @ 17-18 PSI= Peak HP, there is a reason why whipple guys make a different blower sizes :uh oh:

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Can't you put a smaller lower and run the upper the 3.4 comes with and get the hood to close?

I went through this same debate before I chose my next FI. I wanted 650-700 on 17-18 psi. 98% of the time I would have drove my car it would have been at 17-18 psi which would call for the 2.3 but I wanted the potential of the 3.4/turbo power (around 900 or so when the car is all done). Did not really want to run nitrous on the 2.3 to get me there.

And even considering that I don't think I would have got that on the 3.4. Guess it all comes down to what power potential you want your car at when you are done.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Can't you put a smaller lower and run the upper the 3.4 comes with and get the hood to close?

I went through this same debate before I chose my next FI. I wanted 650-700 on 17-18 psi. 98% of the time I would have drove my car it would have been at 17-18 psi which would call for the 2.3 but I wanted the potential of the 3.4/turbo power (around 900 or so when the car is all done). Did not really want to run nitrous on the 2.3 to get me there.

And even considering that I don't think I would have got that on the 3.4. Guess it all comes down to what power potential you want your car at when you are done.

You can get k-member spacers and it'll clear the hood, even with the bigest pulley.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'd still get the 3.4. If you think you're going to need it or you know you're going to turn up the boost now is the time to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread